Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Change of address...

Based on the cases I looked at regarding PennDOT license revocations, I'd suggest that keeping the Sheriff current on your new address is 100% in your best interests.

Let's say that someone uses your name in the context of some criminal misdeeds, perhaps in Philadelphia. Or perhaps it's you that ticks them off. Whatever, some police dept wants your license revoked, so they send a request to your Sheriff to revoke your LTCF, which he does. So he sends the legally-required notice to the last address that you provided. You don't get that notice, your ex-girlfriend does, or the people who bought your house, or the new tenants.

Because you're blissfully unaware, you don't challenge the revocation within the 30 days, you don't turn the LTCF card in.

So you're cruising around thinking that the Commonwealth licenses you to carry concealed or in a vehicle. The Commonwealth thinks otherwise.

This can only lead to problems, because there's an argument that not only are you unlicensed, but you're ineligible for a license. So if you carry concealed or in a vehicle, it's worse than the usual Misdemeanor 1, it gets bumped up to a felony.

I would send a certified letter, and keep a copy. Provide the old address, the new address, your full name, DOB, and the license number.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    ^^^^
    What he said. Your LTCF is valid with your original address, no need to get it changed or updated. You should inform the issuing Sheriff about your change of address so your renewal application will be sent to the proper address but it's not mandatory. Even if you inform the issuing Sheriff you need to pay attention to the expiration date so you don't let your license lapse in the event that the renewal application doesn't get to you for whatever reason.

One of several reasons I also carry a Utah CWP, it expires about a year after my Pa LTCF does.

(Westmoreland County)

Or you could go to the sheriff's office and get a new one with your current address for $5. At least thats how it is here in westmoreland.

Quote Originally Posted by Racerxone View Post
    Or you could go to the sheriff's office and get a new one with your current address for $5. At least thats how it is here in westmoreland.
    In some counties, any requests from the issuing authority require that the applicant completes a lengthy task that may involve a lion, a tin woodsman, and a scarecrow. And then when you're done, he may tell you that you always had all that you really needed with you, and he'll refuse to issue you what you asked for. Then he'll tell you to go home.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    In some counties, any requests from the issuing authority require that the applicant completes a lengthy task that may involve a lion, a tin woodsman, and a scarecrow. And then when you're done, he may tell you that you always had all that you really needed with you, and he'll refuse to issue you what you asked for. Then he'll tell you to go home.

That sucks. Westmoreland is fast, easy, and straight forward.

(Philadelphia County)

I moved from Philadephia County to Bucks County. I have one year left on my LTCF issued by Philadelphia County. Bucks County will not issue an LTCF per their website until your Driver License update card is over 6 months old. Do I inform PPD of the out of county new address or the Bucks County Sheriff?

(Franklin County)

First, I don't believe the Bucks policy is legal, but since you will remain covered, there is probably no reason to make waves, unless you are so inclined.

Hypothetically, Philly should know about your new address, as they are the only county that can revoke you, and if that should happen, you want to know about it!

There is no need to contact Bucks at this time. IMO, as they did not issue your current license, they are not required to send you a renewal application. Since they aren't doing that, and can't revoke you, they don't need to know you exist.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Philadelphia County)

Thank you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12