Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default Beat up pistol. Refinished!

I have a Taurus PT92 that's in pretty bad shape right now. Holster wear, some rust from storing it in a case with wet padding (don't ask because I don't know how it got wet) mostly. Anyway, my questions are 1) how much would I be looking at to refinish the pistol? 2) How much would a PT92 in bad condition be worth? I can't honestly expect to get more than $150 (if I'm lucky) for it if I sell it. I figure that I'm going to get screwed either way but I'd kind of like to get it restored because it's always been a reliable, nice looking gun. Thoughts?

UPDATE: I refinished the pistol myself and it turned out great. Go to page 3 to see the results.
    Last edited by Misery Loves Shotguns; June 29th, 2011 at 02:03 AM.

(Centre County)

Default Re: Beat up pistol. Refinish it or sell it for pennies?

If you would choose to bear coat your gun, it would be $200 plus whatever it would cost to ship it to them per their website. I don't know if major rust repair is included in that price.

Info here.... http://www.bearcoat.com/

Good luck
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

(Allegheny County)

Lightbulb Re: Beat up pistol. Refinish it or sell it for pennies?

Didn't have rust on my Kimber, but the finish was worn off, and even the rattle-canned finish from the previous owner, was wearing off!

So I sent it to Amelon Coatings, LLC, and had them cerakote it for me, and now it looks like a million bucks (the new safety & grips were done by my local 'smitty - the bob job was done by the previous owner, FYI)!

You'll need to e-mail Dan and get a quote - I got a discount because he was a sponsor of another board I belonged to - but $150 comes to mind.

(Venango County)

If you decide to sell it , let me know. I need parts for one I've been working on.
    You know why a banana is like a politician?
    When he first comes in he is green, then he turns yellow and then he's rotten.

(Jefferson County)

Refinish it. You could possibly do most of the work yourself getting the old gunk off it. Steel wool and metal stripping compounds can take it to gun-metal gray in minutes.

I had some stuff that machinists use to strip metal a few years ago. I smeared it on a heavily rusted Marlin 60. It was clear of paint, bluing, and rust in less than an hour. ...and I didn't even have to touch with steel wool.

Once you strip it, smather it in a protective oil or goop(cosmo). Put it in a big ziplock bag and send it to a refinisher.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

^ Naval jelly?

Being phosphoric acid, it will turn rust into a black ferric phosphate matrix, that is remotely akin to parkerizing.

Is that what you used?

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    ^ Naval jelly?

Being phosphoric acid, it will turn rust into a black ferric phosphate matrix, that is remotely akin to parkerizing.

Is that what you used?
    I cant remember.. ..been many many years ago. It was jelly-like though, and had the foulest of smells. Gave me a headache within minutes. But it worked slicker than a greased icecube on a pain of glass.

Rust, paint, bluing, everything was gone. It worked faster than I expected.

I used paint thinner and lighter fluid to remove the remnants of the stuff. Then Rattle Can Rembrandt'd it black.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(York County)

agreed, refinish it yourself. use a chemical stripper, then polish all non-flat areas with 400 grit emery. polish flats by placing said emery on a flat sheet of glass and stroking parts straight back and forth on axis of bore.

paint with rattle cans from auto parts store. use dupli-color #1634 (semi-gloss black) shot from about 12" at parts hanging from steel wire. paint in a sweeping motion, starting before you pass the part and ending after. apply mist coat from all angles. allow to dry. apply color coat from all angles, keeping a "wet-line" overlap. if you want a textured finish, apply a 3rd coat from 18-20" that will be partially dry on contact. allow to dry for 4 hours, then bake in oven at 250* till the stink goes away. allow to air cool before handling. impervious to all chemicals i use to clean and oil, and hard as glass.

total job? about $10 plus your time. total satisfaction? pretty high on the scale.

(Cumberland County)

Smile Re: Beat up pistol. Refinish it or sell it for pennies?

give dura kote a look. did a nice job on a fal that was built on a rough kit.

(Beaver County)

Did some work on the PT92 today. I tried to strip the slide with some sandpaper and then used steel and brass brushes to even it out. There were spots that weren't quite even and I didn't want it to have a mirrored finish so the brushes helped a lot. The frame is still fine but the slide stop and other part on the right side (outer trigger mechanism . . . don't know what it's called) needed to be stripped because the rust got them. I'm going to try to refinish the slide myself and if I screw it up, oh well I'll strip it with blue remover and send it to a gunsmith. I may try to do it in a dual tone finish . . . we'll see.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast