Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tracers

(Fulton County)

Default Tracers

noticed in rifle section a question about tracers

u guys wanna talk about tracers?

Something i personally know is Tracer cause fires if not careful

Some tracers ignite when the bullet is fired some dont and ignite after about 50 yards

Tracers come in Green, Red and headlight trace colors

Tracers can leave burning chemical compounds in your barrel good reason to shoot some ball after a tracer

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: Tracers

You must also be careful about striking the tips of some of the old stuff.

One of my favorite stories from Nam was when I was instructing(?) some troops with an M-60. Firing from the hip at about 100yds some of the tracers skipped over the dirt backstop.
    A short time later the entire back of the range was not suitable for Charlie to hide in.
    The only forest fire I ever started.

(Bucks County)

What does striking the tips have to do with it? The trace material is contained in the rear of the bullet. The trace material is in turn covered with metal.
    Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE

i know you have to be careful with the api's i tried to cut the tip off of one of my 50 api and to my surprise it FLASHED scared the shit out of me. i think charlie was talking about those .22 tracers?

(Bucks County)

Bogey 1,
    Perhaps cutting through the steel may have caused a flash. You hit the trace or incendiary material ( both are usually phosophous or a compound of ) and you would have gotten a hella of lot more then a flash.
    From my limited experience loading tracers i have always found the trace compound is in the rear of the bullet.

Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    SASS Association

Quote Originally Posted by Pukindog View Post
    Bogey 1,
    Perhaps cutting through the steel may have caused a flash. You hit the trace or incendiary material ( both are usually phosophous or a compound of ) and you would have gotten a hella of lot more then a flash.
    From my limited experience loading tracers i have always found the trace compound is in the rear of the bullet.

Jeff
    i think what happened is i pinched the jacket against the carbide penetrater, now as i recall it was a blinding flash but with no burns. i kinda knew it would happen but i was being a dip shit anyway. as for the tracer, the only ones i have ever seen on the tip were the .22's i think there the ones that dirty up a barrel allot faster than a regular tracer.

(Bucks County)

Bogey 1,

Never seen any with the trace on the tip. All the .22, .30. .50 cals, and 20mm I ever saw had the trace at the base of the bullet.
    I had a couple of boxes of .22 LR tracers. Seemed to me they were solid lead bullet tips too.

Btw, white phosphorous gives a white trace, strontium salts give a red trace, and barium salts give a green trace.

Jeff
    Last edited by Pukindog; January 1st, 2008 at 04:34 PM.
    NRA Benefactor member
    SASS Association

(Northumberland County)

well, since this seems to be a collection of random facts that have no bearing on each other, ill throw my comment in

there are places that sell the bullet "shell" with the hollowed out rear so that you could make your own tracers.

Quote Originally Posted by Pukindog View Post
    Bogey 1,

Never seen any with the trace on the tip. All the .22, .30. .50 cals, and 20mm I ever saw had the trace at the base of the bullet.
    I had a couple of boxes of .22 LR tracers. Seemed to me they were solid lead bullet tips too.

Btw, white phosphorous gives a white trace, strontium salts give a red trace, and barium salts give a green trace.

Jeff
    yeah ive seen em, they were sold in a round package about twenty. and they looked like they had a match head glued on the tip, thats why i never bought them. i guess today they are built the right way. i love shooting tracers,especially the 50bmg. thats a bad ass sight to see even in the day time. this summer i had white tracers for my fifty, i guess they were supposed to be red? but they came out white, it looked like a laser beam..i bought some 762x39 apit's awhile back, havnt used them yet i guess im waiting for the russians

just checked the net, the tracer compound is in the back. i swear the ones i saw years ago it said the compound was on the tip. who knows... anyway, the feedback from the users wasnt very good. i guess i wont be wasting my money after all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast