Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Thumbs down MetalTargets.com

I was looking for a good source for high quality steel spinners for rimfire.

Found www.metaltargets.com on the web. USA company in LeRoy, NY, decent website, stuff looked pretty good, so I ordered a dual spinner for rimfire to ck. the qual. before buying too much more stuff, (my wife would tell you).

Shipped quickly, looked pretty durable, welds a little rough but sure looked stout.

To the range with it, two boxes of Federal Bulk Pack later and the smallest circle on the target is bent and twisted. Turned the target around and shot it the other way and it bends back the other direction.

Long story short, I email the man who makes the targets at MetalTargets and he tells me in an email that he knows about the problem. He says the counterweight target on the opposite end of the small target is too big and heavy and thats why the small one bends.

So, I'm thinking this should be a no brainer, this guy knows he screwed up and he will send me out a target with proper sized components.

You guessed it. Of course they will repair or replace anything defective as long as I pay to ship both ways.

I explained that I did not damage anything, and that he admitted making it incorrectly, and he was "sorry to hear I was not satisfied with the product"

How stupid a businessman, or clever if you look at it from his point of view, is this guy to admit he made his product wrong in an email, then sit there and not want to keep the customer happy?? ...Idiot.

This dope would have gotten a ton of business from the people I shoot with but I, (and the thousands of people I shoot with ) ... we're not giving him another sale.

The spinner is a blast to shoot. The other half of the target is fine, and as long as I don't hit the smallest target circle too often it should work fine, BUT, the point is he should have made it right.

I was going to get a dueling tree from him, but as I explained to the guy, I can't trust his stuff is made right.

I got the Rimfire Dueling Tree from Action Targets through Brownells. Looks to be made like a tank.

Just an F Y I about what you might get if you buy from MetalTargets.

(Centre County)

Default Re: MetalTargets.com

E-mail him this thread, maybe he'll change his mind....
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

That's very interesting.

My club just put in a new pistol range, and we figured it was about time to invest in a bunch of gongs and spinning targets for the pistol and black-powder guys. We were actually looking at this company's targets, too.

Thanks,

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Allegheny County)

I have some Colt speed plates resetting poppers from MGM targets.
    I like them and would consider using then instead. The guy should make it right on his dime.

http://www.mgmtargets.com/

(Fayette County)

My guess is he made a huge batch of the bad spinners and instead of fixing them before they went out, he figured screw it and sold them off.

You really shouldnt have to pay shipping costs when the maker knew about the problem before hand.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

Have you considered contacting your CC company and disputing the charge? Tell them that you bought a defective item and the company is well aware of the defect, but will not resolve the issue.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    Have you considered contacting your CC company and disputing the charge? Tell them that you bought a defective item and the company is well aware of the defect, but will not resolve the issue.
    Well...

I did think about doing that at first, but the rest of the target without aiming at the small circle seems to be holding up ok, so I will just keep it. Lesson learned.

I won't buy anything from Metal Targets again though. I gave the guy a chance to make it right and he dropped the ball.

I will add, if you are looking to shoot steel, which I can only do using .22's where I shoot, but it is a whole new level of fun. I now buy my steel targets made by Action Target www.actiontarget.com

I have their rimfire dueling tree and a couple "Evil Roy" line of portable steel target stands and target heads.

Made very well, AR500 steel... way better than shooting paper, and a little more fun than the self healing rubber targets 'cause you get the audible ring after each hit.

They are a little pricey, but will last forever, all you need do to make a new target is spray paint it back to like new condition. Also, the problem of hanging or proping the target up on something is eliminated using the A.T stuff. The target stand is built in.

The Action Target stuff is cheaper to get through Brownells, due to shipping being cheaper. Straight from A.T. and the shipping is ridiculous. Probably so to get you to buy from their dealers.

Enter Action Target Steel targets into a Google search and there are a lot of vids and reviews showing them.