Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: So, you're visiting/moving to/passing through Philadelphia

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    As well as knives, also illegal in Philly to carry, unless you meet certain criteria, none of which includes defensive carry.
    Pssst...from OP

One more thing. Philadelphia is officially allergic to what it terms 'cutting weapons', as per §10-820. Technically, this means you shouldn't be carrying a Leatherman, Swiss Army Knife, or flip knife (What are the laws for carrying a knife in Philly?), unless it is being actively used in your 'trade, profession, or calling'. Practically, people openly carry utility knives in Philadelphia all the time and are never detained, much less fined $300 and imprisoned for 90 days. At worst, it stands a chance of being something you get charged with if you can't be charged with being 'in contempt of cop'.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by phillykev View Post
    Pssst...from OP

One more thing. Philadelphia is officially allergic to what it terms 'cutting weapons', as per §10-820. Technically, this means you shouldn't be carrying a Leatherman, Swiss Army Knife, or flip knife (What are the laws for carrying a knife in Philly?), unless it is being actively used in your 'trade, profession, or calling'. Practically, people openly carry utility knives in Philadelphia all the time and are never detained, much less fined $300 and imprisoned for 90 days. At worst, it stands a chance of being something you get charged with if you can't be charged with being 'in contempt of cop'.
    OK so I must have missed that part. But I did include the actual wording.

ETA: I always look to add the part about knives as I friend of mine was pulled over (riding a motorcycle) because of a visible sheath knife on his belt and given a ticket for it, he was allowed to keep the knife though.
    Last edited by soberbyker; May 24th, 2011 at 01:39 PM.

Philadelphia, and proud of it., Pennsylvania
    (Philadelphia County)

Added suggestions, per the below:
    Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post
    A good start! A few suggestions...

1. I would remove the "Places you shouldn't carry", or at least change the category to "Places where you may have a hard time if discovered to be carrying". Let people decide for themselves based on others' experiences, rather than tell them that they "shouldn't".

2. "Places where it's OK to carry" is somewhat a misnomer as well, conveying that the rest of the places are not OK. Rather, "Popular venues where there are no metal detectors at entrances", minus public squares and parks since, again, already covered in "where you can or cannot carry link". Again, let people choose whether or not to carry.

3. Add information about Taser and stun guns being illegal in Philly

4. Things to do / where to eat should have links to the Piazza, possibly the hottest/unique spot in Philly along with Northern Liberties area and restaurants and bars. Also, don't forget cheesesteak places (I'm not a fan, but still...)

5. Add information on where to go shooting in Philly...kinda important

Al
    1. I called it "Places you probably shouldn't carry", which I think does a decent job of representing both the regulations of the places involved and member experience. If you're really adamant about the wording, I'll thumb-wrestle you for it :-)

2. Renamed to 'Places verified okay to carry". I'd also consider 'Places it's okay to take your firearm to', but that feels a bit longish.

3. Good suggestion. Added.

4. Added the Piazza, and Liberties Walk. As for the cheese steaks, people are usually already familiar with Pat's, Geno's, and Jim's, and can find it on their own. I refuse to perpetuate the myth that all there is to eat in Philadelphia is cheese-steaks. Instead, I encourage all of you to brave the lines at DiNics (go mid-afternoon, or 11:00 or so) and get a brisket sandwich.

5. Also a good suggestion. I'll add 'em when I've got more time. Do we have a list already somewhere?

Thanks for the suggestions, Al!

Quote Originally Posted by phillykev View Post
    What is this, Harold Camping math?

Great thread!
    To be Harold Camping math, you have to be wrong at least 3 times first.

And thanks. People are well aware of some of the troubles of Philadelphia, I thought it might be good to provide a primer and point out some of the good things as well.

Also, for those who have iPhones, download the "Philly Way" app. It's free and has tons of good information on there.

Al
    Ooh, I haven't seen that one yet. I'll check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by priell3 View Post
    Don't forget the recreational oppurtunities of Fairmount Park; shopping on Main Street in Manayunk, the focal point of the annual bike race; and the pot holes.

http://visitphilly.com
    http://fairmountpark.org/
    Ehhh, I'm not so sure it's the focal point of the pot holes, but it definitely warrants mentioning. I added it. I'll toss the links into a "Philadelphia links" section when I get a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    As well as knives, also illegal in Philly to carry, unless you meet certain criteria, none of which includes defensive carry.

By the way, it's refreshing to see someone write about Philadelphia and look past the politics and police department.

Thanks. Philadelphia is more than just bad police experiences and corrupt, dejected, or DROP-ing City Council critters. My experience has involved lots and lots of fun and worthwhile stuff, not a single bad police encounter, and admittedly some frustration with political stupidity, but less than I already have to deal with at the state and federal level. If I'm going to be mad at politicos, it might as well be somewhere I can walk or bike to various excellent bars, restaurants, cultural institutions, parks, shops, and friend's houses without breaking a sweat.

Thanks for all the suggestions, and keep 'em coming!
    -cc

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by chivalrouscarry View Post
    Added suggestions, per the below:

1. I called it "Places you probably shouldn't carry", which I think does a decent job of representing both the regulations of the places involved and member experience. If you're really adamant about the wording, I'll thumb-wrestle you for it :-)

2. Renamed to 'Places verified okay to carry". I'd also consider 'Places it's okay to take your firearm to', but that feels a bit longish.

3. Good suggestion. Added.

4. Added the Piazza, and Liberties Walk. As for the cheese steaks, people are usually already familiar with Pat's, Geno's, and Jim's, and can find it on their own. I refuse to perpetuate the myth that all there is to eat in Philadelphia is cheese-steaks. Instead, I encourage all of you to brave the lines at DiNics (go mid-afternoon, or 11:00 or so) and get a brisket sandwich.

5. Also a good suggestion. I'll add 'em when I've got more time. Do we have a list already somewhere?

Thanks for the suggestions, Al!

To be Harold Camping math, you have to be wrong at least 3 times first.

And thanks. People are well aware of some of the troubles of Philadelphia, I thought it might be good to provide a primer and point out some of the good things as well.

Ooh, I haven't seen that one yet. I'll check it out.

Ehhh, I'm not so sure it's the focal point of the pot holes, but it definitely warrants mentioning. I added it. I'll toss the links into a "Philadelphia links" section when I get a chance.

Thanks. Philadelphia is more than just bad police experiences and corrupt, dejected, or DROP-ing City Council critters. My experience has involved lots and lots of fun and worthwhile stuff, not a single bad police encounter, and admittedly some frustration with political stupidity, but less than I already have to deal with at the state and federal level. If I'm going to be mad at politicos, it might as well be somewhere I can walk or bike to various excellent bars, restaurants, cultural institutions, parks, shops, and friend's houses without breaking a sweat.

Thanks for all the suggestions, and keep 'em coming!
    -cc
    Good work man!

Yeah, I know what you mean about the cheesesteak thing.

As for ranges, I am bias toward Philadelphia Archery & Gun since it's a much nicer range than The Firing Line. There are a few other ones that are lesser known Frank's something or another, but there was some thread about attitude from the people there so I didn't bother.

I actually just joined Delaware County Field & Stream, on soberbyker recommendation and help. Only 1 trip there so far, but really like it. Some of the rules irk me, but I can deal with them for now.

If you want, you can add if anyone wants to come and shoot or learn to shoot in Philly, they are welcome to get in touch with me via PM. I'll arrange for it and make sure that it will be a good and affordable experience.

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama

(Tioga County)

You want the best cheese steaks avoid the tourist traps like Pat's and Geno's and go to Dalessandro's. My wife, a South Philly native, will attest to that. Wash it down with a cold beer.

http://dalessandros.com/
    MikeP

(Philadelphia County)

If you're dragged down to Cheese Steak Hell (9th and Wharton), swing around to Cosmi's at 8th and Dickinson (3 blocks) to get a good cheesesteak or hoagie.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by priell3 View Post
    You want the best cheese steaks avoid the tourist traps like Pat's and Geno's and go to Dalessandro's. My wife, a South Philly native, will attest to that. Wash it down with a cold beer.

http://dalessandros.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie D View Post
    If you're dragged down to Cheese Steak Hell (9th and Wharton), swing around to Cosmi's at 8th and Dickinson (3 blocks) to get a good cheesesteak or hoagie.

Philadelphia, and proud of it., Pennsylvania
    (Philadelphia County)

Added the shops I'm aware of, the ones suggested, and Atlantic Tactical, which Kodiak seems fond of. I added a brief note about Colosimo, since I've regularly heard more bad than good about.

Also added mythaeus' generous offer, which goes above and beyond the call of duty. I've found that teaching others to shoot is one of the more 'exciting' things one can do with friends, and I would imagine even more so with strangers.

-chivalrouscarry

(Tioga County)

There are a few other ones that are lesser known Frank's something or another, but there was some thread about attitude from the people there so I didn't bother.
    Double Tap Shooting Range. http://www.doubletapshootingrange.com/index.htm

No problem the one time I visited.
    MikeP

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by chivalrouscarry View Post
    Added the shops I'm aware of, the ones suggested, and Atlantic Tactical, which Kodiak seems fond of. I added a brief note about Colosimo, since I've regularly heard more bad than good about.

Also added mythaeus' generous offer, which goes above and beyond the call of duty. I've found that teaching others to shoot is one of the more 'exciting' things one can do with friends, and I would imagine even more so with strangers.

-chivalrouscarry
    I have purchased a few items at Atlantic Tactical, up in the far northeast. The only thing I didn't like there was the woman working at the register who told me that she would shoot me if I sprayed her with pepper spray. I try hard to stay in shape, but I am still quite a far cry from looking "menacing." Oh well, can't please everybody.
    ...and they have a plan...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast