Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Thumbs down Palmyra Sportsman's Association Puts Camera in Club House

Against the wishes of the Members (It was voted Down Overwhelmingly Several years ago) The Governing Body of the PSA has put a hidden camera in their Clubhouse...

(Berks County)

Default Re: Palmyra Sportsman's Association Puts Camera in Club House

Color or B/W?
    Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

(Lebanon County)

I fail to see what the issue is? Its no more an invasion of privacy than the cameras that are in use at the Sheetz just up the road from it.

Having been a member there at one point I'm suprised that it took this long. They have been having issues with people destroying things there for quite a while as I understand it.

EX: Someone shot .223 into the .22 rimfire backstop upstairs and punched holes thru it. In the pistol range I constantly see bullet damage in the drywall ceiling and also muzzle flash burns on the support column carpeting.

Who pays for that when you can't prove they did it? The answer is EVERYONE.

You also have to take into consideration that the keycard to access the clubhouse tracks when you enter.

Ultimately the owner is most likely going to say the members caused this to happen by not policing themselves and the other users. If you keep turning a blind eye to things because you don't want to get involved your really no better than the people that they are trying to catch.
    "Remember the first rule of gunfighting ... have a gun." Jeff Cooper

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by wheeling365 View Post
    I fail to see what the issue is? Its no more an invasion of privacy than the cameras that are in use at the Sheetz just up the road from it.

Having been a member there at one point I'm suprised that it took this long. They have been having issues with people destroying things there for quite a while as I understand it.

EX: Someone shot .223 into the .22 rimfire backstop upstairs and punched holes thru it. In the pistol range I constantly see bullet damage in the drywall ceiling and also muzzle flash burns on the support column carpeting.

Who pays for that when you can't prove they did it? The answer is EVERYONE.

You also have to take into consideration that the keycard to access the clubhouse tracks when you enter.

Ultimately the owner is most likely going to say the members caused this to happen by not policing themselves and the other users. If you keep turning a blind eye to things because you don't want to get involved your really no better than the people that they are trying to catch.
    Actually it is an invasion of privacy. The club is private property that requires people to be members there for entry. It's not the same as Sheetz or any other 'public/private' property where the public is free to enter the private property.

Without notifying that there is a camera present, they have violated the privacy of their members. I'm not against surveillance, but they need to notify that the cameras are there.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Allegheny County)

as long as they dont record audio there is no problem. no notification is necessary.

the club is private property. if it is truly a club then the property is controlled by the board and they run the club. if the want to install cameras. so be it.

(Lebanon County)

It may be private property but you are still a paying customer that is subject to the rules set forth by the owner of the facility. You agree to their rules when you sign the membership paperwork.

Is there any law/ruling established limiting how they enforce the private property portion in regards to a camera vs say a security guard?

I'm not saying that I think everyone needs to have a camera on them 24/7 but if it prevents the place from being vandalized and helps protect a nice place to shoot safely then its a sacrafice that I'm willing to make for that.
    "Remember the first rule of gunfighting ... have a gun." Jeff Cooper

(Allegheny County)

We have several security camera's at our club. I have no issues with them. They are there to protect our property and our organization, since as members, we all own the club.
    Toujours prêt

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    We have several security camera's at our club. I have no issues with them. They are there to protect our property and our organization, since as members, we all own the club.
    Are they hidden and were they installed contrary to a vote by the membership to not install them?
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Nerfsrule2 View Post
    Against the wishes of the Members (It was voted Down Overwhelmingly Several years ago) The Governing Body of the PSA has put a hidden camera in their Clubhouse...

if it was installed against the wishes of the members, then maybe the members ought to nut up and fucking remove it, instead of whingeing about it on the internet.

further, the members should then follow up and remove "The Governing Body of the PSA" and replace it with a new one, also instead of again whingeing about it on the internet.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Cumberland County)

Palmyra Sportsmans Association is one of the Largest and well equipped clubs in the State..(At last count we just eclipsed the 2,300 member mark)..The Camera Issue was brought up before the club for several meetings in a row.. Each time the issue was brought up by the Board the Members overwhelmingly voted no...Each time the Issue was brought up you could not get near the place,(there was that many people at the Meeting)..This was done without notice to the Club..This is where they went wrong.. There was Never a vote on the Issue that said we wanted surveillance..In fact just the Opposite occurred...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast