Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default weak hand/strong hand

Just curious, how many practice as much with the weak hand as well as the strong hand? Are you so confident with weak hand shooting that you would not think twice carrying with either hand for the purpose of self defense?
    I have read and seen pictures of targets with great goups, usually to display the potential accuracy of one gun or another. When viewing these pictures, I many times think if the shooter displaying such targets could shoot that impressive group with the "other" hand.

Myself, part of my on the job training required shooting with either hand. Didn't like it at first, but as time went on it became sort of a game during my range visits in that I would have contests between which hand could shoot better on a particular day. Also, in time, I was able to train my left and right eye to dominate on the front sight relative to the hand I was shooting with. I do not consider myself an expert shooter and my weak hand/strong hand shooting is nothing special. I believe though, it is important to be equally as good as one can with either hand.

(Fayette County)

Default Re: weak hand/strong hand

Usually, I practice 25% with weak hand and 75% strong hand.

But your right, I/we should all practice more weak hand.

And not just shooting, but reloading and practice malfunction clearing too.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Allegheny County)

Lightbulb Re: weak hand/strong hand

Ambidextrous safeties on my 1911's ain't there for balance. I don't keep track of percentages, but I practice it. And one-handed vs. one handed, with my 'weak' hand (left) I'm more accurate!

(Allegheny County)

I like to do a lot of accuracy drills weak hand only.

If you can do it weak hand only, more conventional methods are damn easy.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    Ambidextrous safeties on my 1911's ain't there for balance. I don't keep track of percentages, but I practice it. And one-handed vs. one handed, with my 'weak' hand (left) I'm more accurate!
    Very good, I suppose now your "weak hand" is now on the right side.

(Allegheny County)

Red face Re: weak hand/strong hand

Quote Originally Posted by c45man View Post
    Very good, I suppose now your "weak hand" is now on the right side.
    I am SOOO right-hand dominant in EVERYTHING I do, I could NEVER draw a pistol from a decent Kydex holster, even if my life depended on it. I'm just not coordinated enough to walk, talk, chew bubblebum, AND draw left-handed. I take comfort in knowing though, that if I were to have an injured or broken right hand/arm, I could stay in the fight with a pistol at least!

(Delaware County)

I shoot some weak hand, but not nearly as much as strong hand or freestyle. With DA revolver, ol' lefty shakes pretty good.

maybe I'm just an anomaly, but I have always been pretty ambidextrous. I had no issues switch-hitting when I played baseball in school. When I went through LE firearms training I picked up switching hands based on the situation pretty quickly. A lot of people struggled with that, I just don't understand why. Using both hands equally has always been pretty normal for me. I just have a hard time imagining it being difficult. The real stumbling point that I have is my left eye. I may be ambidextrous when it comes to my hands, but I'm definitely right eye dominant. Shooting with my left eye is a real challenge. If I use my left hand and right eye, I get tight groups. Right hand and right eye, tight groups. Left eye right hand, loose groups. Left eye left hand, loose groups

Ambidexterity is useful if you have to shoot around a corner and switching the gun to your left hand will keep most of your body behind the corner. Good point about malfunction clearing and weapon manipulation with the other hand though. That was never a part of the LE firearms course. (Imagine that...)

I usually use a right handed holster for duty and for CC (mostly because Right handed holsters are much easier to come by and there is that little inconvenience of my left arm having been broken in August. Almost fully healed now, but that entire plate and 9 screws thing is never comfortable.) But I have been known to carry my G27 in a pocket holster on my left side just because I can.
    The M1. Smackin' the bastards since 1932.

(Northampton County)

I first really started practicing shooting with my weak hand because it is a part of my department qualification. I have found that there really is not much difference in shooting weak-handed for me. I just see the difference as being a slightly different grip and a different trigger finger. Everything else is the same (stance, breath control, sight alignment/picture, trigger control, etc). As such, I normally only practice with 20 or so rounds every few months with my weak hand. That being said, I can just about shoot as well with my weak hand as I can with my strong hand.

(Monroe County)

I'm one of those who's parents thought it best I was right handed and for years that's all I was. But when I injured my right shoulder I was able to adapt quickly.

I'm more accurate 'weak' side because that's my dominate eye, quicker right hand because I used it more.

When ever shooting with friends I always suggest we mix it up a bit and do some weak side shooting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast