Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Philly Gun Permit Unit Headaches

Hey everyone,

Long time lurker, recent member here.
    So, I knew that going through the Philadelphia Gun Permit Tracking Unit to get my permit was going to be a hassle. For a while, I had a Florida Non-Res permit because I was able to obtain one without having to miss any work. I got it taken care of after hours and on my weekend time. Perfect, right? Until Philly passed their illegal ordinance against Non-Resident permits held by PA residents. That made my encounter with the Gun Permit unit inevitable. I knew that I was going to have to take time off of work to accomodate their crappy hours so I planned in advance. I got my money order, photos, application, references, and everything in order. I coordinated a day off from work so I could take care of this as well as other errands than had been piling up. I went to the Permit Office and as soon as I walked in the door, I saw a sign that informed me that the new application fee was $20 and they're no longer accepting $25 money orders. This went into effect about a week ago. Now, I don't have the time to go get another money order and still accomplish the other things I had scheduled today, my one day off. This is every bit the inconvenient hassle I expected the permit process in Philadelphia to be.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Philly Gun Permit Unit Headaches

At least this headache is caused by them reducing the fee according to State law.

That's the only possible positive way I can think of to look at it.

(Philadelphia County)

Also, there is a money order place a couple of blocks down on Spring Garden between 4th and 5th. Same side of the street as you were on.
    If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words.

(Philadelphia County)

Well, at least they updated it on the online form too:
    http://www.phillypolice.com/assets/d...pplication.pdf

It's best to show up right before they open and get in line at the door. You'll be in and out quicker than showing up after they open.

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama

(Philadelphia County)

Just get a non resident permit and tell the philly gun permit unit to go to hell. They act like they have nothing better to do than to harrass citizens who try to protect themselves!! Take it form a guy who was robbed 4 times last year before I carried on my florida non resident permit. They took 20 minutes to arrive after muggers almost killed my daughter! Then they found an unpaid parking ticket and rejected me for my permit! Another time, they did not even come during an emergency.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyJon View Post
    Hey everyone,

Long time lurker, recent member here.
    So, I knew that going through the Philadelphia Gun Permit Tracking Unit to get my permit was going to be a hassle. For a while, I had a Florida Non-Res permit because I was able to obtain one without having to miss any work. I got it taken care of after hours and on my weekend time. Perfect, right? Until Philly passed their illegal ordinance against Non-Resident permits held by PA residents. That made my encounter with the Gun Permit unit inevitable. I knew that I was going to have to take time off of work to accomodate their crappy hours so I planned in advance. I got my money order, photos, application, references, and everything in order. I coordinated a day off from work so I could take care of this as well as other errands than had been piling up. I went to the Permit Office and as soon as I walked in the door, I saw a sign that informed me that the new application fee was $20 and they're no longer accepting $25 money orders. This went into effect about a week ago. Now, I don't have the time to go get another money order and still accomplish the other things I had scheduled today, my one day off. This is every bit the inconvenient hassle I expected the permit process in Philadelphia to be.
    Philly passing their illegal law means nothing. You can still carry with your Fl one. In fact, I strictly carry only my Fl one and leave my Pa at home. The law is on your side, continue to carry with your Fl license.

(Allegheny County)

they dont take cash? is that legal for a government office?

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pagunhobby2011 View Post
    Just get a non resident permit and tell the philly gun permit unit to go to hell. They act like they have nothing better to do than to harrass citizens who try to protect themselves!! Take it form a guy who was robbed 4 times last year before I carried on my florida non resident permit. They took 20 minutes to arrive after muggers almost killed my daughter! Then they found an unpaid parking ticket and rejected me for my permit! Another time, they did not even come during an emergency.
    The OP stated he has a Florida license.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeinPhilly View Post
    Philly passing their illegal law means nothing. You can still carry with your Fl one. In fact, I strictly carry only my Fl one and leave my Pa at home. The law is on your side, continue to carry with your Fl license.
    As you (PhillyJon) mention the so called law is illegal, the Pa. Attorney General (PAAG) has stated that a license is a license no matter where you live, as long as the issuing state has reciprocity with Pa. http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/crime.aspx?id=184

Note: It has come to the attention of the Office of Attorney General that there has been confusion over the applicability of Pennsylvania's reciprocal privileges with regard to the residency status of an individual who has been issued a valid license/permit. It is the position of the Office of Attorney General that recognition within Pennsylvania is based on the issuance to an individual of a valid license/permit by the reciprocal contracting state, and not on the license/permit holder's place of residence.
    That said, keep in mind that the PPD might try to enforce the law as they see it and let the court sort it out. If that's not a problem then stick with your Florida license.

Quote Originally Posted by PaBimmerGuy View Post
    they dont take cash? is that legal for a government office?
    That's to keep their own workers from stealing the money.

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    That said, keep in mind that the PPD might try to enforce the law as they see it and let the court sort it out. If that's not a problem then stick with your Florida license.
    Ain't that the freakin' truth

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    That's to keep their own workers from stealing the money.
    Again, MORE truth

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Ain't that the freakin' truth

Again, MORE truth
    I swear I've seen at least two instances of government workers in charge of LTCFs being involved in theft / fraud. I think one was in Philadelphia, and the other might have been in Northeastern PA.

If only I can find the articles

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast