Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Going to order "Gun Tests" magazine

I just got an ad in the mail for "Gun Tests" magazine.

It sounds pretty good.

They claim to give unbiased and negative reports on guns. Something that seems missing in all the cheer leader gun mags I subscribe to. For example they said that the Taurus titaniaum revolver locked up when it heated up.

They claim the Ruger p95DC at $351.00 is a better buy than a glock or a sig for a polymer frame 9mm (that sounds interesting)

They cover gun safes, holsters, rifels, shot guns.

Its $24.00 for 12 issues and I am subscribing. Any of you subscribers? How is it?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Going to order "Gun Tests" magazine

I don't care who you are, when a company offers to toss you big cash to print a favorable review then even the most honest person starts to think twice. Or all of a sudden there are writers on staff that also happen to work full time with various firearm companies. All magazines, especially new ones, get money from subscribers and advertisers. Companies spend thousands apon thousands on advertising, slam them good on one of their new products and I bet they don't advertise with your magazine anymore.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Montanya View Post
    I don't care who you are, when a company offers to toss you big cash to print a favorable review then even the most honest person starts to think twice. Or all of a sudden there are writers on staff that also happen to work full time with various firearm companies. All magazines, especially new ones, get money from subscribers and advertisers. Companies spend thousands apon thousands on advertising, slam them good on one of their new products and I bet they don't advertise with your magazine anymore.
    One of the things they do is they do not accept advertising. That caught my eye and I should have mentioned it in the original post.

But, you are right, some form of corruption could creep in. Payola to one of the writers, etc.

(Allegheny County)

No advertising? The subscription fees must be unreal.

(Pike County)

I subscribed to gun tests years ago. They do not have ads, and the tests where good. They did not have a problem with calling a high dollar gun a POS if that was what the test showed. They also took initial cost of the gun into account. The subscripion rates get stiff when not on a special. In the end, unless you are buying a large and varied group of guns, it was interesting but did not cover enough guns that I was interested in. As I recall it was one set of handguns of a type, one set of rifles, one of shotguns, and an accessory or two in each issue.

(Erie County)

I subscribe to Gun Test, I find it very informative. Not a real thick mag, but with no ads it's all information. Comes with 3 hole punch so it can be kept in binder. This issue told about Taurus with the sticky cylinder with hot loads rated it an F, but they also showed a 10 min. fix that needed no parts, then they said it would be an A- gun.
    "We The People..."

Years ago I subscribed to GunTests and enjoyed it.

I now subscribe to several other mags and the American Rifleman (NRA). I recently re-subscribed to GunTests.
    I know that some don't like it, but i look forward to each and every issue.
    When the others come up for renewal, I'm dropping them and keeping GunTests.
    my .02...

mrwildroot
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.

(Lehigh County)

I just got the mailer also and sent it in for a free issue. The price on the mailer is 24 bucks for 1 year or 12 issues.

Sounds like a cool mag. I have never read one actually. I could spend hours in the grocery store reading magazines....heheheh. Seriously though, I get Guns And Ammo, and American Rifelman. I also get about five flyers from Midway, Brownells, Century Arms, Southern Ohio Gun, AIM Surplus, etc...that serve as good bathroom material. Wife had gotten me Shooting Times a while back. It was OK but mirrored articles written in previously published G and A. Oh, I also love the shotgun news, but with gunbroker and the like, it has fallen by the wayside.
    Jules

(York County)

I got it for a couple years. Pretty good mag...I still read their articles (bath room reading).
    Hell, I should subscribe to it again too!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast