Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pistol to Rifle

(Centre County)

Default Re: Pistol to Rifle

Yes but the question was if you could take, for example, a SIG556 pistol and convert it into a rifle, and if doing so would require paperwork or if you could just do it with out a issue. Second part of the question was once doing so, if you could switch it back to a pistol.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by em2b96p View Post
    I respectfully disagree...

SBR means Short Barreled Rifle. AKA RIFLE. You cannot go from a Rifle to a Pistol. Conversely, you can go pistol to rifle.
    Once you put a rifle buttstock/buffertube/reciever extension on that lower reciever the pistol becomes a Rifle.

Hence the reason why when purchasing a stripped lower receiver it is not a rifle nor pistol since it does not fit either requirement of rifle or pistol. Essentially its a clean slate. So you could turn it into a rifle, pistol, or resister for SBR. Pistol to rifle ok but rifle to pistol Bad.

The only back and forth you can do with a SBR is a barreled 7" upper to 14.5" to 11" to etc...

Any confirmation on my statement?
    Tell me how I was wrong..

A stripped receiver is still Title I, just like an assembled handgun or rifle. It isn't however a handgun or a rifle, just a "firearm" under the GCA68.

Rifle to pistol is ok if its a SBR, which is where everything was going with the thread.. But once it's an SBR, or once a stock is attached - its always a rifle.

An SBR doesn't have to have a stock on it. All it needs to be is registered as such. If you strike a SBR from the NFA records it will be a "rifle", so you would have to have a 16"+ barrel and an overall length of 26"+ to keep it legal.

You can legally configure a registered SBR at ANY length you wish, in any configuration. ....with 1" barrels or with 10foot long barrels, with shoulder stocks or without. With the NFA stamp, you have the option of building it at the NFA lengths.

Same rules apply for SBS's. You can cut the barrels down below 18" and remove the shoulder stock to make the OAL less than 26". ....legal with a NFA stamp.
    Last edited by knight0334; May 19th, 2011 at 10:17 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by SNAFUG36 View Post
    Yes but the question was if you could take, for example, a SIG556 pistol and convert it into a rifle, and if doing so would require paperwork or if you could just do it with out a issue. Second part of the question was once doing so, if you could switch it back to a pistol.
    Absolutely NO paperwork is required to convert a handgun into a rifle.

It cant be switched back without turning it into a Title II NFA SBR, which requires the Form 1 Manufacture paperwork and a $200 transfer/manufacture tax.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post

Rifle to pistol is ok if its a SBR, which is where everything was going with the thread.. But once it's an SBR, or once a stock is attached - its always a rife.
    Ok, one question down one to go. Thanks.

Just leaves 'Can you convert a,example, SIG556 pistol or another AR style pistol into a rifle, provided you have 16" barrel into a rifle without NA paperwork.

(Centre County)

It cant be switched back without turning it into a Title II NFA SBR, which requires the Form 1 Manufacture paperwork and a $200 transfer/manufacture tax.
    And there is the other question answered while I was typing. Thanks

(Lebanon County)

Yes and no, if the pistol you turn into a rifle has a barrel less than 16in or OAL is Less than 26 inches it's a SBR, and taxed period... There will BE PAPERWORK.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by forceinPA View Post
    Yes and no, if the pistol you turn into a rifle has a barrel less than 16in or OAL is Less than 26 inches it's a SBR, and taxed period... There will BE PAPERWORK.
    Right... ...however a SBR isn't a "rifle". A "rifle" is a Title I firearm. If it's barrel is less than 16" and OAL is less than 26" it is a "short barreled rifle." "rifle" and "short barreled rifle" are two legally different things. One is Title I, the other is a Title II.
    Last edited by knight0334; May 19th, 2011 at 11:42 PM.

Tell me how I was wrong..

A stripped receiver is still Title I, just like an assembled handgun or rifle. It isn't however a handgun or a rifle, just a "firearm" under the GCA68.

Rifle to pistol is ok if its a SBR, which is where everything was going with the thread.. But once it's an SBR, or once a stock is attached - its always a rifle.

An SBR doesn't have to have a stock on it. All it needs to be is registered as such. If you strike a SBR from the NFA records it will be a "rifle", so you would have to have a 16"+ barrel and an overall length of 26"+ to keep it legal.

You can legally configure a registered SBR at ANY length you wish, in any configuration. ....with 1" barrels or with 10foot long barrels, with shoulder stocks or without. With the NFA stamp, you have the option of building it at the NFA lengths.

Same rules apply for SBS's. You can cut the barrels down below 18" and remove the shoulder stock to make the OAL less than 26". ....legal with a NFA stamp.

Isn't this what I just said?

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by em2b96p View Post
    Isn't this what I just said?
    I just repeated what I said in my initial post that you disagreed to.

(Lebanon County)

Right... ...however a SBR isn't a "rifle". A "rifle" is a Title I firearm. If it's barrel is less than 16" and OAL is less than 26" it is a "short barreled rifle." "rifle" and "short barreled rifle" are two legally different things. One is Title I, the other is a Title II.
    YOU said NO paperwork is needed for a handgun to a rifle. This is INCORRECT. You put a rifle stock on a DRACO ak you better damn well PAPER it, it's now an SBR. Secondly, A rifle is a rifle like a duck is a duck. Dont matter how short or long the barrel is, it's still a rifle regardless of it's class Title I or II, They both go on paper, either a form 4 or 1 or a 4473 as a rifle, unless built from a virgin receiver, of course.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast