Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AMT backup .45

(Lackawanna County)

Default AMT backup .45

Interested in a good used amt .45 backup serial prefix dl or da not interested in the galena manufacturing model Anyone see one on a dealers shelf?

Default Re: AMT backup .45

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/i...hp/t-3127.html

These pistols had a LOT of QC issues, and are very heavy for their size. A lot of newer designs are greatly improved over what the AMT BU offers.

Are you dead set on that design?

Quote Originally Posted by THR poster
    As far as AMT goes, let me just say that during the last 40 years well over 300 guns of various makes and models have passed through my collection. Only two stand out in my mind as truly BAD guns. One was the original 380 Backup (SA) and the other was the 45 Backup (DAO). Both were such total POS that throwing them into the Atlantic Ocean could be considered environmental pollution.

JAC
    Last edited by Valorius; May 18th, 2011 at 08:33 PM.

maybe I'm just lucky...I've had/carried/shot an AMT BAckup in .45acp for about 5 years. I had one back in the 90s that was just as good that I traded off. All I have done to the current one is a little exterior polishing. It has been perfect in every aspect. I have been seeing a lot of them on store shelves in NH for a while.
    For frantic boast and foolish word, Thy mercy on Thy people, Lord!

(Monroe County)

You know what I'm wondering.........I'm wondering if these horror stories that we hear about guns are coming from sources that haven't fully broken in test subjects yet. I mean yeah...HK , Sig , Glock...and maybe 1 or 2 others work 100% off the shelf like guns should....but there are a couple other companies who I trust that require a break-in period such as Kahr arms, for one example. So I'm wondering if the horror stories I hear from AMT owners are a result of lack of break in period......nah probably not.

If you read that thread, some of the posters are range instructors that are slamming the AMT.

All i know about them is that they are exceedingly heavy for their size, and that the company went out of business.

(Chester County)

I brought my dads amt .45 backup to the range 2 weeks ago. He bought his new at valley forge gunshow back in 1998. That gun has never had any issues for him and i shot 50 rounds of wolf through it without an issue. I dont personally prefer the gun over my S&W cs45 but he likes it and thats all that matters. He doesnt carry it much anymore due to the fact that he loves his newest beretta. I can get some info on it and see if he wants to offload it

(Monroe County)

THe OP sounds like a Collector, so maybe he is not interested in Carrying it.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Valorius View Post
    If you read that thread, some of the posters are range instructors that are slamming the AMT.

All i know about them is that they are exceedingly heavy for their size, and that the company went out of business.
    I'm no "range instructor" and I suspect a few people who carry on about being one might not be either. Even if they are they might not be fond of this or thst gun and therefore wouldn't be likely to speak well of the guns they don't like.
    In a recent explosives recognition class taught by a fellow OHS evaluator I nearly dropped my teeth when he was comparing ballistics on explosives and propagation rates and he asked another student, "Your .40 caliber does what, 10,000 feet per second?" On break he admitted to me that he had no idea about small arms ballistics and also no compunction whatsoever about talking about topics he didn't know anything about. He left the cadre a short time later. But, while he was there, he held his opinions out to be fact.

The AMTs are heavy...Thank goodness. They are hateful enough to shoot at the weight they are. I shoot it from time to time to remind myself what a little monster they are to fire. I have never had feeding issues or FTEs with mine. Can mine be an aberration? Absolutely. I would never say all of them are are reliable as mine.
    For frantic boast and foolish word, Thy mercy on Thy people, Lord!

Quote Originally Posted by Gandydancer5618 View Post
    Interested in a good used amt .45 backup serial prefix dl or da not interested in the galena manufacturing model Anyone see one on a dealers shelf?
    Didn't look at it long enough to see if it was a (serial prefix dl or da not interested in the galena manufacturing model) but they had one at Tanner's Sport Center last week. Give them a call to see if its still there..

(Philadelphia County)

I briefly checked out that one they had at Tanner's, that was the heaviest DAO trigger I've ever pulled! It must have at least a 25# trigger pull!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast