Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default Encore .223 remington help-Oplez

S!
    I'm getting alittle frustrated. I'm getting 2" groups at 100 yards. I know I'm getting old and tired but I'm still fully capable of putting them thru the same hole at 100 if the gun allows it..so what do you recommend for a 50-55grain load? I'm assuming that the Encore has a 1-12 twist and I'm working my way thru powders and bullet brands but to no avail so far. Care to send your pet load?

Thanks ahead~ Ned

Default Re: Encore .223 remington help-Oplez

If it has a 1:12 twist try the 45-50 gr. My rem 700 in 223 has a 1:12 twist and it likes black hills blue box 50gr v-max and remington 50gr JHP's but doesn't do too bad with american eagle 45gr.
    "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil but, because of the people who do nothing about them."
    - Albert Einstein

(Dauphin County)

I'm in need of some serious Encore understanding. I've never owned a break-open rifle before and have my head, barely wrapped around the concept of sizing, seating, and checking headspace for them. I probably would not have bothered, attempting to learn but this 'dog don't hunt'. Average group with any bullet weight is 2" at 100yards. Best group was with Hornady 52grain A-max (1-14twist) with Varget (ragged hole) but was un-repeatable. I'm guessing that the barrel is fine (we know the 223 is usually very accurate) so I'm blaming the platform or the loading technique. I'm the loading technique so I'm really in need to understand what can go wrong with the break-open design as a bullet launching platform and misconcepts(my lack of understanding) in reloading for it.

I could have bought a Stevens for $230 but I guess I was in need of pain. :P

Are the rings & bases tight? Is the optic working properly? Are you using a rest or some type of support?

If all of the above are answered affirmative I would:
    Go to the store and try some factory loaded ammo of the 45-50 grain variety...
    "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil but, because of the people who do nothing about them."
    - Albert Einstein

(Dauphin County)

Crap Jay..you had me all excited at the thought that someone answered. I'm dying for fiquring this out.
    No-nonsense base and rings with a 6-18X no-nonsense scope. It a'int the scope, base, rings or the shooter..it's a lack of understanding how to make a pooch-shoot like a big-dog. It may even be a lack of understanding what an out-of the box Encore in .223 is really capable of. My Bushmaster in .223 with a 62-68 penetrator(?) ain't sitting in front of me..can do dime size groups at 100 and dime-size at 200 if the operator gives up smoking and Starbucks. So far..the Encore could kill a cereal box at 100? I got that FrostedFlakeTiger! whoopie. ~Ned
    Last edited by luckyned7; January 8th, 2008 at 09:54 PM. Reason: spellar-sweetness

(Lawrence County)

Is this gun a 1:12 or a 1:14?

What is your OAL. Loading long often helps. Also if the Encore has a short barrel, powders like Varget may not be fast enough.

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Dauphin County)

Talking Re: Encore .223 remington help-Oplez

Fellas..it is a TC stock barrel..gonna assume without testing it is a 1-12.. I'm gonna hafta let you all take over from here cause I can tell...to my surprize..this rifle is pissing me off! Probably due to my lack of real understanding. I guess what has me..is that everyone seems to love their Encore accuracy..and I'm beginning to wonder what that is!?

Forgive my pissyness..I'm feeling a smidge frustrated..anyone want my 200 pulled-223 bullets? I'm on a mission-NOW!

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by luckyned7 View Post
    Best group was with Hornady 52grain A-max (1-14twist) with Varget (ragged hole) but was un-repeatable.
    OK, I figured it was 1:12, but you mentioned 1:14. Either way, it's likely going to shoot best with lighter varmint bullets.

I would try bullets in the 40gr range loaded just off the lands. A max bullets have a long taper and usually need to be seated deeper to be off the lands. If you are loading them the same length as for your AR you are likely too short.

(Dauphin County)

I'm afeared it may be more than that.. it may be that I don't understand the whole break-open rifle platform..per MikeBellM(google it). The more I attempted to fix the OAL to ensure less freebore the worse things went. My only decent group from 3 powders and 3 brands of various weight bullets (that's $150.00) if one is counting..without brass and primer add-ins...was un-repeatable. I'm beginning to believe this a'int no rifle I understand and that I may need more info to fix it. Mind ya- I have no real work for this rifle..I don't have groundhogs or praire-dogs to hunt..I have a 10 year-old boy! Who likes me reading Carlos Hathcock the White Feather..sorry reading if you ask me but he likes to hear of it. I guess that is enough to press me to get this pooch of a rifle to be a big dog-yes?
    Thanks ahead~ Ned

(Lawrence County)

I don't think that's it. I think 1:9 twist works great with 50-55 gr bullets and a 1:12 is going to like lighter bullets.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast