Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default taurus slim 740?

wondering if any one has experience with the slim line pistols. was looking at the 740 as a back up to my xd. but i know my xd has a bit of snap to it so getting some thing smaller in .40 is kinda iffy. i'd get a 9mm but i really don't like the caliber and i don't want to stock more than one caliber.
    WHEN DEMOCRACY TURNS TO TYRANNY, THE ARMED CITIZEN STILL GETS TO VOTE

Default Re: taurus slim 740?

the 709 is a great gun and as a back up you won't need to stock 9mm, you just need to have a box of 50 once a month to stay proficient and they HP of your liking.
    The 740 I have only seen it fired and it's a beast. I personally would not own that gun cause recoil is harsh, I have fired a Kahr CW40 and that's my reference to the size weight and power in that gun and no way. I don't know what your reason is against the 9mm but bullet tech has come a long way in the last few years and the 9mm is no weakling especially in some of the CorBon and Buffalo Bore loads. If you can get past the 9mm hump I feel the 709 is more than adequate and a very nice pistol that would make an excellent choice for what your looking for. Remember it's going to be a back up so it's going to be carried more than fired and the 40 will weigh more than any 9. Part of the reason I got away from 40 is I carried a G23 until I held my friends G19 and it seemed like a few oz lighter cause of the ammo weight,just some thought.
    I'm interested in hearing what you decide on so please let us know when you do decide. Good luck.

(Northampton County)

The 709 is a good bargain bug, I owned/carried one for a while. It was 100% reliable and easy to carry, I just wished it was a little more comfortable to shoot and a little more accurate. I ended up sacrificing a little weight and width and traded it for a Sig P239 that does everything I want well.

(Chester County)

maybe i will just get a 9mm then. as for the sig they are really nice i just don't know if i want to pay that much. i've seen the 709'sgo for like$340. thatabout what i'd like to pay. any more than that and i might as well pick up anoth xd sc and go akimbo lol.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by BionicMan View Post
    Not that I think anything bad about the seller but he has only (1) post, just watch cause it can go south. Just a fatherly FYI.

(Chester County)

i'm actually considering a keltec pf9 now. its like $100 cheaper than the taurus and a lot of people love them. i'm just considering how well it will pocket carry.

I'm actually doing the same thing with a PF9, I have a P3AT but it's just a bit small for my hands but it carries great in my front pocket. The Pf9 is just a bit bigger I think it would do just fine. I do however think the Taurus is a more refined gun and worth the extra $100

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    I'm actually doing the same thing with a PF9, I have a P3AT but it's just a bit small for my hands but it carries great in my front pocket. The Pf9 is just a bit bigger I think it would do just fine. I do however think the Taurus is a more refined gun and worth the extra $100
    refinements kool and all but I only ask 2 things of a pistol. a) it goes bang every time I pull the trigger and b) it will hit the target at its normal range of operation. other than that it comes down to how it fits in my hand. so probably I'm gonna pick what feels better at the end of the day.

that's what sold me on the xd over the glock. it fit my hand like a glove.

I'm going up to kings shooting supply tomorrow to sell my .380 to a member here, maybe ill take a look then.

I really need to decide what I need first I have 4 guns I want right now. a saiga, large frame pistol, a medium frame revolver and a pocket 9mm. lol but only funds for one.

Quote Originally Posted by B.A. View Post
    refinements kool and all but I only ask 2 things of a pistol. a) it goes bang every time I pull the trigger and b) it will hit the target at its normal range of operation. other than that it comes down to how it fits in my hand. so probably I'm gonna pick what feels better at the end of the day.

that's what sold me on the xd over the glock. it fit my hand like a glove.

I'm going up to kings shooting supply tomorrow to sell my .380 to a member here, maybe ill take a look then.

I really need to decide what I need first I have 4 guns I want right now. a saiga, large frame pistol, a medium frame revolver and a pocket 9mm. lol but only funds for one.
    By refined I mean that it will fit your hand better and be more comfortable. The grip on the Taurus is real nice and felt recoil is a bit less than the PF9 but I do think both will fit your needs.
    I love the XD, I personally don't own one right now but have had 5 in the past, I prefer the XD to the XDM, I compared them the other day while I was buying my G17 and I definitely like the XD more.
    Saiga's are out of control with price right now, large frame pistols are nice but a bit harder to carry unless you open carry it. Medium frame revolvers you can never go wrong with and a pocket 9 I'm getting into also but I'm not sure if I want to pocket carry anymore. I'm used to drawing from a holster, I was at Topton yesterday and did some pocket draws with my P3AT and I suck at it. I fumbled and got my thumb caught on my shirt, I was slow as all hell getting it out and getting on target; I think it made me realize I need a holster.
    King's is one of the best places around, I live an easy 45-50 minutes away and I make the trek to them at least once a month or more. I buy all my reloading stuff from Roger, and then talk to him for 2 hours before I can get out the door.
    Yea funds are always a concern for me too, that's why I need to get rid of one first before I buy another, not to mention Mrs. Klutch gets pissed when I get guns and there are no new shoes in the closet.
    Let me know what you pick up.
    Last edited by *Klutch*; May 26th, 2011 at 08:42 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast