Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: Aluminum cased rounds?

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    On the subject of aluminum cases.

I know the Blazer cases are not to be reloaded and they are intentionally manufactured to be non-reloadable.

But, why can't aluminum cases be manufactured to be reloadable from the start? It would seem that aluminum would be in more abundance than brass and should be cheaper to produce.
    The following information is for educational purposes only, do not try this at home!

I had a friend of mine years back experimented on reloading Blazer aluminum cases, the decapper punched a flashhole in the case, regular primers fit, and he only got one reload and the cases split. He tried this on 9mm, 45acp, and 38 special. He lucked out by not cuasing harm to his guns or himself!

In the end, the aluminum case is not strong enough to handle multiple reloads, it's not suppossed to be reloaded so DON'T try it yourself.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kramer View Post
    The following information is for educational purposes only, do not try this at home!
    I had a friend of mine years back experimented on reloading Blazer aluminum cases, the decapper punched a flashhole in the case, regular primers fit, In the end, the aluminum case is not strong enough to handle multiple reloads, it's not suppossed to be reloaded so DON'T try it yourself.
    Which brings us back to my original statement that the Blazer cases are specifically manufactured to be non-reloadable and back to my original question; why are they not reloadable?

What is it about case thickness, heat treating, ductile, tensile or compressive strength of material or other reasons that cause aluminum cases to be unreloadable and last is it possible to manufacture cases from aluminum that are reloadable?

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    I've been shootin' Blazers for 20 years now - including in 10mm. The S&W 1006 extractor was so strong, it occasionally tore the rim away, so I had to get a bore brush and poke the case out of the chamber. No harm to the pistol though!

Blazers is good to go.
    You ever had problems with 10mm Blazers getting the bullets pushed back into the cartridge case while still in the magazine? I just fired about 50 of these last week thru my Kimber 10mm and the bullets got set back in the cases enough that I stopped using them. I've used Blazers for years but never in any of my 10mm's till this time, I was needless to say kinda disappointed.
    "You never lived till you almost died, for those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know"

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by EODguy View Post
    You ever had problems with 10mm Blazers getting the bullets pushed back into the cartridge case while still in the magazine? I just fired about 50 of these last week thru my Kimber 10mm and the bullets got set back in the cases enough that I stopped using them. I've used Blazers for years but never in any of my 10mm's till this time, I was needless to say kinda disappointed.
    That's the first time that I have herd that from the Blazer line, maybe someone else has seen this happen.

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kramer View Post
    That's the first time that I have herd that from the Blazer line, maybe someone else has seen this happen.
    I agree, I never had any problems with Blazers before and how could I pass up a deal on any cheap 10mm. I still about 10 boxes left maybe I'll try them in the S&W 610 and see if they do it again.
    "You never lived till you almost died, for those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12