Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Clinton County)

Thumbs down PICS Denial Conundrum

Howdy, all. I ran into a bit of a conundrum here. I recently applied to purchase a new shotgun, and the dealer I went to ran the PICS check, and, after thirty minutes of standing in front of the counter, while the dealer waited to talk to the operator, I received a very abrupt, "Denied, have a nice day," from the dealer. I have no criminal background, I've never been arrested, I've never even gotten a parking ticket. So naturally I took a PICS challenge form. I filled it out, and mailed it the following morning. I then got a letter back, (two weeks, not 5 business days), saying, "Denial is confirmed", because of a "Mental Health Commitment, 04/26/2002". I was 8 years old at the time I was admitted, because I got backed into a corner by a psychiatrist that probably shouldn't have been licensed in the commonwealth of PA, and I threatened, (not attempted, threatened) to kill myself if they tried to put me in a hospital (which they wanted to do, to do an observational medicine check). I guess what I'm asking is, has anyone ever ran into this situation, a medical record from when you were a young child, that shouldn't prohibit you, but does? I wrote a three page letter, and formed up a twenty page file, which draws on the Mental Health Procedures Act, the U.S.C 18 section regarding mental health commitment, and a letter from the psychiatrist at the hospital I was in saying I didn't need to be there. In my honest opinion, it was a perfect example of liberal government pencil pushers jumping the gun, and making a mountain of a molehill. I'm the most sane person you'll ever meet, but yet that comes up. And to further illustrate my confusion, the documentation the PSP sent me has NO identifying numbers on it, absolutely nothing to even begin to tell me what they think happened to me.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: PICS Denial Conundrum

You should contact a lawyer about possibly expunging the mental health records.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Fayette County)

Another example of PICS being a waste of time and money.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Allegheny County)

You were 8 years old in 2002?

That would put you at 16 or 17 now.

Are your facts and figures correct?

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by heili View Post
    You were 8 years old in 2002?

That would put you at 16 or 17 now.

Are your facts and figures correct?
    There's room for him to be 18 years and a few months old.

Although, maybe he's setting the stage for a challenge to the age limits not unlike State v. Sieyes (but by suit instead.)

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by MDJschool View Post
    There's room for him to be 18 years and a few months old.

Although, maybe he's setting the stage for a challenge to the age limits not unlike State v. Sieyes (but by suit instead.)
    He'd have to have turned 9 years old sometime between when his the date of his commitment and the date (9 years earlier) that he tried to buy the shotgun.

Since he says he was 8 years old on 4/26/2002 (the date he was committed), he'd have to have had his 9th birthday somewhere between 4/26 and 5/15 to have been 18 when he went to attempt the purchase of the shotgun.

He didn't say how long he was committed, either, but something in this scenario is making my brain say 'reserve judgment without further detail.'

(Erie County)

Since he says he was 8 years old on 4/26/2002 (the date he was committed), he'd have to have had his 9th birthday somewhere between 4/26 and 5/15 to have been 18 when he went to attempt the purchase of the shotgun.
    More likely between 4/27 and 5/1. It took two weeks to get the form back, that confirmed the denial.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Allegheny County)

those wacky doctors. if every kid who threatened to kill themselves was locked up wed have no one on the streets.

if i dont make the football team ill kill myself
    if johnny doesnt ask me to the prom ill kill myself
    i didnt get into yale. i might as well kill myself.
    my fathers mad at me. ill show them and kill myself.

these all go along with

if johnny takes suzy to the prom ill kill him
    if the coach cuts me ill kill him

some incredibly small percentage of all of these threats are carried out. the percentage is so close to zero that it is indistinguishable. but the professionals go into panic mode everytime they hear one. if one does get carried out there is even more panic and waving of hands in the air while crying out how could we not know. so then the next time that someone makes a hyperbolic comment the swat team is called and a dog gets shot unless there is a dsylexic cop and he shoots god.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post
    More likely between 4/27 and 5/1. It took two weeks to get the form back, that confirmed the denial.
    Well if the date of the commitment was 4/26 and he was on a 3-day, he got out on 4/28 or 4/29. That would mean his 9th birthday was between 4/28 and 5/1.

So we have a 3 day window in which his birthday could fall that puts him at 8 years old when he was hospitalized and also at 18 years old on the day he attempted to purchase the shotgun.

Nagging feeling is that something doesn't add up in this scenario.

(Allegheny County)

So we have a 3 day window in which his birthday could fall that puts him at 8 years old when he was hospitalized and also at 18 years old on the day he attempted to purchase the shotgun.
    well his birthday has to be sometime and just as many people go out for a drink on their 21st birthday many peopel buy a gun on their 18th.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast