Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Walther PPS: A Pleasant Surprise

I had done some reading about the PPS, and though not everyone's a fan, it seems that most agree that it's a gun (picked mine up in 9mm) that's easy to shoot accurately, despite it's short barrel/and relatively small size (certainly, there are smaller guns). Honestly, it's not much of a stretch to say that in my hands, this thing shoots as easily and as accurately, as my big/heavy CZ-75B, or my RIA 1911 (which are pretty much my own totally subjective benchmarks). At 7 yards, right out of the box, I was ripping bullseyes, or shooting very tight groups, just ever so slightly left. For me, with a new gun in my hand for the first time, I consider that pretty good.

Ergonomically, it feels perfect in my hand. In fact, it's a pleasure to hold and shoot. The sight radius is still 5+ inches, and it's heavy enough to feel like a "real gun". Being as slim as it is, it's probably a good candidate for summer carry, though, I had no particular use in mind (I've given up justifying my obsession).

I only put about 75 rounds through it so far, but it'll see much more action this weekend. So far though, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend someone consider this gun as multi-purpose gun. It's probably more a carry gun than anything else, but it would serve the home defense role as well. The only "price you pay", is in capacity, but, being a single-stack gun, you have to trade-off somewhere.

"I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Walther PPS: A Pleasant Surprise

Quote Originally Posted by marks View Post
    I had done some reading about the PPS, and though not everyone's a fan, it seems that most agree that it's a gun (picked mine up in 9mm) that's easy to shoot accurately, despite it's short barrel/and relatively small size (certainly, there are smaller guns). Honestly, it's not much of a stretch to say that in my hands, this thing shoots as easily and as accurately, as my big/heavy CZ-75B, or my RIA 1911 (which are pretty much my own totally subjective benchmarks). At 7 yards, right out of the box, I was ripping bullseyes, or shooting very tight groups, just ever so slightly left. For me, with a new gun in my hand for the first time, I consider that pretty good.

Ergonomically, it feels perfect in my hand. In fact, it's a pleasure to hold and shoot. The sight radius is still 5+ inches, and it's heavy enough to feel like a "real gun". Being as slim as it is, it's probably a good candidate for summer carry, though, I had no particular use in mind (I've given up justifying my obsession).

I only put about 75 rounds through it so far, but it'll see much more action this weekend. So far though, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend someone consider this gun as multi-purpose gun. It's probably more a carry gun than anything else, but it would serve the home defense role as well. The only "price you pay", is in capacity, but, being a single-stack gun, you have to trade-off somewhere.

Always loved the look of it but with my big ham hocks it is easy for me to over grip it.
    Look to the One Who is wearing what should have been your scars...

(Washington County)

2 cons for me on those were the lack of holsters and available magazines (which are nuts expensive) and the odd mag release. Other than that, a nice firearm.

My bud has had one for a year or so, and likes it a lot. Decently accurate, and works well for him (he's a lefty)

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
    2 cons for me on those were the lack of holsters and available magazines (which are nuts expensive) and the odd mag release. Other than that, a nice firearm.

My bud has had one for a year or so, and likes it a lot. Decently accurate, and works well for him (he's a lefty)
    Holster availability seems to be pretty decent now. I didn't want to grab another Crossbreed SuperTuck (although they make one), as I don't want a holster to be 3x the size of the gun. I found a decent IWB DeSantis, but most folks seem to make something for it.

Magazine(s): Yes. First, it's unfortunate and disappointing that Walther has also gone the way of providing only one with the gun. They are quite pricey. In fact, I posted a WTB here, to see if someone's got an orphan they're looking to part with.

The mag release is different, but I believe HK may do the same thing on at least some of their guns. I guess it's a German thing. Honestly, it doesn't feel/seem all that odd to me, and it definitely makes it less likely to inadvertently drop the mag - especially given it being a somewhat small gun.

Naturally, as often happens, my opinion could change by this time next week.
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Jefferson County)

I like them.. ...won't mind having one. My P99 is lonely for a smaller brother.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

I shot a review gun when they were just hitting the market. Shot ok for me. My brother shot it great though.

It's small, but there are much smaller 9mms. A PPS is about the same exact size as a HK P7.
    Last edited by Valorius; May 13th, 2011 at 02:49 PM.

(Warren County)

Thumbs up Re: Walther PPS: A Pleasant Surprise

Nice posting on a great little gun. I've got one and I love it, very accurate and easily concealed when I carry it.
    Tim , USAF Ret.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Valorius View Post
    I shot a review gun when they were just hitting the market. Shot ok for me. My brother shot it great though.

It's small, but there are much smaller 9mms. A PPS is about the same exact size as a HK P7.
    Ah, HK. A brand that believe it or not, I have yet to own. I'm not really sure why. Hmm...

I love mine.

Here's a pic of a P7 next to a PPS. Take note that with the 8rd mag, the PPS is actually a little taller than a P7. The P7 also sports a 4.2" bbl, so velocities will be a good deal higher from it than the shorter barrel PPS:

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

Where is the mag release?
    ...and they have a plan...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast