Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Man I sold a Glock!

Those who know me well, will put this in the believe it or not category.

I was at Gander Mountain the other day, and an older gentleman was there buying his first home defense gun…
    Salesman was showing him towards the .32 and 380s then a Rossi type Model 36 hammerless when I suddenly asked the sales man why he was pushing a smaller gun into this persons hands.
    So he said well he has no gun experience, So I introduced my self, then asked the gentleman what it was he really wanted.

In his words, he lives in a welfare area, crime rate is very high, he is retired, his wife is in a home for the elderly where the crime rate is even higher. He is now getting worried about visiting her to the point he stopped at a motel away from his home because he did not feel safe driving through the two towns and arriving home late at night.

Concealing was 100% important to him, and most of any experience he has with guns was the 1911 .45 in the army some 35 to 40 years back…
    I asked why it was so important to conceal, and he said because it has to be doesn’t it? Sales man said so!

I cleared that up right quick for him, told him about LTCF and that he would need one of these to carry on the street or in a vehicule. Then pointed out 2 things. Click and bang, there where 2 model 10 Smith older models there, those I would consider over the Rossi price for price, one more bullet and generally better accuracy in 4” then a snub. Also showed him the holsters where easy to wear IWB. Man his eyes light up!

Now the unbelievable, There where many 1911 models there, but also as per usual Glock models and CZ, Ruger and others there. Second point the man said is he would go out to practice a fair bit to get comfy with the gun. Wanted some thing fairly easy to clean. CZ, Ruger went out when I saw his arthritis. I suggested the Glock that was there .40 used for $350.00 Salesman looked at me and said really? Why?

So I explained to the man about the Glock reliability, the ease of use, not safety to worry about, the higher round count to revolvers, the easy of use, and the night sights on it made it perfect for night use. Looked at the holsters while the man filled out the papers, and came back with an IWB holster that fit the gun, had him try this on, as he wore a sweather/Vest (Mr Rogers) type thing. It concealed very well. Asked the clerk if he showed him how to function the un and field strip it? The clerk said no, he has a book!

So I asked him to remove the trigger lock, showed the gentleman how to make sure the gun was clear and how to remove the top, made sure he was able to do this himself before I left him. Then I went on shopping for Christmas.

I saw the gentleman a bit later near the register, asked him about his bullet choice, what had the clerk offered him, he said you know, I don’t have bullets!

I suggested he go back and get Hydro shocks there, and look for practice bullets at Wal-Mart all within earshot of the salesman. The older man said you should work here, this person did not seem to want to sell me anything tonight, and you made my decision so simple. I looked at him and said the amazing part is, I don’t particularly like Glock, but you have to put merit where it is in need, and bang for your buck, the Glock is the one gun you can afford if you can only have one gun, then this is the one you want, at $350, it was under priced, used yes, but clean, with his need the .40 would be enough punch, yet not that expensive as he would not shoot it every day.

Anyways, I don’t have cards for PAFOA, but I suggested he search Pennsylvania Firearms and told him he would find us soon enough. I take it he is from Washington or Allegheny county and may be looking for friends to practice with in the future.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Man I sold a Glock!

Nice job Frenchy.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Pike County)

All I can say is AWSOME JOB PAL...

My wife hates it when I get into the same type of deals. Helping someone out, giving them more knowledge. AS she stands there board off her A$$, being ignored..

Heck , if your ever in the area let me know. For that GOOD deed deserves a beer.

Snert..

(Allegheny County)

+2, for helping people understand. I always carry those little cards that came with my sticker around and have given out at least 10. It's funny how mainstream stores that sell guns usually know nothing about them.

‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’

— James Earl Jones

(Cambria County)

Should've steered him towards Federal HST's, Gold Dots or Golden Sabers instead of the Hydrashoks...but otherwise, good job man.

i think when I go to stores like that from now on i'm going to say i'm a first time gun owner and just kinda see where they take me, and what they say. Those guys behind the counters are fairly uninformed. Guy was lucky you where there to steer him in the right direction

(York County)

Good job setting him on the right path.

I overhear comments from counter people and some of them make me cringe because of the inaccuracy's or bias opinions.

(Allegheny County)

Think I met that salesperson brother today at Sportsman Warehouse. I asked to see the Marlin 45-70 they have on sale and he started looking through the revolvers.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Westmoreland County)

Great job Frenchy. I had a similar situation in Dunhams in Fox Chapel a few months ago. A couple of black youths were having trouble getting any service from the guy behind the counter. I asked them if I could help them and they were really glad. I directed them towards the 500 Special Purpose for what they were looking for. The guy behind the counter was clueless.
    VEGETARIAN: Native American word meaning "bad hunter"

Great job Frenchy! I love when people take time out of their day to help others, it makes me have more faith in mankind.
    "See, this side is well roasted; turn me on the other and eat." St. Lawrence

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast