Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sr9c vs xd9sc

(Blair County)

Default sr9c vs xd9sc

So Im looking at these two guns. I really liked the look and feel of the ruger until I realized it has a safety. I cant find a xd anywhere to fondle. Both are in the same price range. Any opinions? Id be going for blued slide over OD frame in either gun. This will be a primary carry gun. Going to retire the heavy ass p229. Ive heard on the M&P pistols with a safety You can just remove it and SW will send you a plug anyone know if ruger does this?

(Cambria County)

Default Re: sr9c vs xd9sc

Quote Originally Posted by Edg View Post
    So Im looking at these two guns. I really liked the look and feel of the ruger until I realized it has a safety. I cant find a xd anywhere to fondle. Both are in the same price range. Any opinions? Id be going for blued slide over OD frame in either gun. This will be a primary carry gun. Going to retire the heavy ass p229. Ive heard on the M&P pistols with a safety You can just remove it and SW will send you a plug anyone know if ruger does this?
    Can't you just opt to not use the safety if it bothers you? Or is there some other reason you have against it?

I carry the SR9c daily and I like it for the most part. (I carry it with the 10 round mag)

I like that I can use the 17 rd mag from the SR9 while at the range. And I carry two 17's as my extra mags in a double pouch.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mK2JYfZAmA When will America become America?

(Franklin County)

I also carry my SR9C open and concealed on a regular basis. I carry with 10 round mag., and keep the 17's for the range. I also own a xd9, but have it outfitted with a Crimson Trace and soon will have a light mounted on the rail, I have never carried it though, its my nightstand gun.

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by CenterTree View Post
    Can't you just opt to not use the safety if it bothers you? Or is there some other reason you have against it?

I carry the SR9c daily and I like it for the most part. (I carry it with the 10 round mag)

I like that I can use the 17 rd mag from the SR9 while at the range. And I carry two 17's as my extra mags in a double pouch.
    I would opt to not use it, but what if at some point holstering or drawing somehow I bump it then it goes click instead of bang when I need it most.

I have both and while I prefer the XD over the Ruger in just about every way. The Ruger is much easier to conceal. So depending on what the main use is going to be. Not that concealing the XD is hard, it just seems to be a little more comfortable with the Ruger.

(Allegheny County)

I would opt to not use it, but what if at some point holstering or drawing somehow I bump it then it goes click instead of bang when I need it most.
    If you have a manual thumb safety on a gun, then you need to train yourself to deactivate it as part of the draw. Otherwise it's exactly like you said, it might get turned out accidentally and the gun won't work when you need it most.

Seems to me that Ruger's SR series would be perfectly serviceable defensive guns if it weren't for the thumb safety. I'd rather it not had one at all since there's no need for it on a striker gun, but if you're going to have one it needs to be something sizable that you can rest your thumb on like a 1911 safety.

Given the options presented, I'd opt for the XD.

The XD is a rather bulky gun, and I understand how the SR9 would be easier to conceal. That the XD is bulky and top-heavy is one of the reasons why I sold mine, and switched to the S&W M&P series.
    "There are four boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order."

(Bucks County)

What has you looking at only these two options?
    Look to the One Who is wearing what should have been your scars...

(Adams County)

Thumbs up Re: sr9c vs xd9sc

I also have sr9c w/10 round mag. cc & oc in blackhawk serpa . I found that when I draw ,my thumb actually go's right on top of the safety ,easy to release. although it takes a little pressure to push safety off , it's not like the safety is extremely loose where it just moves on it's own , no what I mean ?

What if you were actually using the safety, and someone wrestled it away from you or snatched it from your holster, and it didn't kill you, because it was engaged?

There are 2 sides to every coin.

Quote Originally Posted by eXceLon View Post
    If you have a manual thumb safety on a gun, then you need to train yourself to deactivate it as part of the draw. Otherwise it's exactly like you said, it might get turned out accidentally and the gun won't work when you need it most.

Seems to me that Ruger's SR series would be perfectly serviceable defensive guns if it weren't for the thumb safety. I'd rather it not had one at all since there's no need for it on a striker gun
    Based on what? The legions of cops that have shot themselves with glocks that have a striker and no manual safety?

It is very easy to train to swipe off any well placed safety on the draw. And it's equally very easy for a child or felon to pull the trigger of a pistol with no safety.
    Last edited by Valorius; May 13th, 2011 at 02:47 PM.

(Blair County)

Im choosing between these two mostly due to size and capacity. I kinda like the Kahrs, but I like more bullets,. I dont really like the looks of the m&p but maybe I should reconsider them. I really like the OD frames on the two I mentioned.
    The safety issue is an old one and people are set in their ways. If a safety was needed why wouldnt Sig put them on their guns.
    As far as what cops do.....I dont care, They arent usually the sharpest tools in the shed. Being near them at the range they damn sure cant shoot very well for the most part. Im not worried about shooting myself in the foot, Ive carried a pistol since cc was first legal in VA and never had an accident. My finger is my safety.
    All this being said I may well end up getting the ruger anyhow as I like the feel of it and its allegedly a good shooter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast