Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Question Getting started (with Hunting)

As a newbie, should I decide what to hunt (deer, turkey, etc.) or what to hunt with (rifle, shotgun, bow, etc.) first; that way, I can get all the training, practice, and certifications I need before getting started?

I like researching things so I know what I'm getting into. For example, I'm thinking rifle and deer. When you've got a family, money and time are tight -- don't want to waste either!

Default Re: Getting started (with Hunting)

This is how I personally would do it. I know others will disagree and have their own way...

1. Start with what you want to hunt.

2. Then go to what season you want to hunt in.
    (Rifle, Bow, Muzzleloader, Etc...)

3. Then go and choose the firearm or bow/crossbow you want to hunt with and what is legally allowed.

4. Get the ammo/arrows/bolts your going to hunt with.

5. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE with that ammo/arrows/bolts you bought.

Then go out and HUNT HUNT HUNT.

(Wayne County)

The best thing you can do is find someone that hunts already. See if you can go with him or her your first time. Just so your not wandering around in circles out there. Also you will get some basic knowledge of the game your hunting which is absolutely necessary to be successful consistently.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolsby View Post
    As a newbie, should I decide what to hunt (deer, turkey, etc.) or what to hunt with (rifle, shotgun, bow, etc.) first; that way, I can get all the training, practice, and certifications I need before getting started?
    It would be a good idea to go out with someone experienced beforehand and give it a try. You'll learn a lot.... even better if you can be there for a successful harvest. I'd imagine most people (at least most of my friends and I) started with rifle/deer. It would be good for you to see the process of gutting the deer beforehand as well. Not saying you necessarily will, but some people have trouble doing/watching that, although, thats usually only people that aren't the "outdoors type" to begin with. Just a thought.

Anyway, it would be to your benefit to go out with someone first, look for sign, spot/stalk, and hopefully your friend can give you some good tips in your area for where the game likes to bed, etc. Also you don't have to spend a whole bunch of money on a rifle/glass or bow setup/range finder, etc. That way if you decide you don't want to hunt at all or that you want to hunt something else like turkey you haven't wasted any money on a set up. You don't have to spend hundreds of $ on camo either, I know a lot of people who wear jeans and a hoody and get a deer every season.

Back straps... its whats for dinner.

(Monroe County)

let me try:

1. Go take a hunters safety course! - THIS IS LAW! - you can't get your license until you take the course and there is only one course.

once you pass your hunter safety course you can then get any stamp (archery, muzzleloader... etc)

2. If money is a big concern, you do not currently have a rifle, and you really want to put meat on the table, your best bet is a flint lock. They are relatively inexpensive and they give you the most time in the woods.

(Early muzzleloader season, rifle season, late season). You can also hunt any large game animal with a flint lock.

Your best all around hunting option for everything would be a bow, you can hunt every legal animal in the state with a bow (turkey, small game, deer, elk,... ), but it is much more difficult and your success rate will be way lower.

3. Get proficient with your weapon of choice. Nobody is going to want to hunt with you if you can't shoot, tracking a wounded animal because some guy you barely know can't shoot straight sucks ass

4. find someone to show you the ropes, or do a TON of scouting
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Washington County)

Rolsby - After passing the HTE course the first thing I would do is go out and buy a nice used combo shotgun. That way you can use it for small game and turkey. Then put on the slug barrel and hunt deer. My buddy has a Mossberg pump 12 gauge that came with a smooth bore barrel and a rifled barrel. The slug barrel is drilled and tapped to accept scope mounts so his scope is permanently attached to the slug barrel. Just switch barrels and you're ready to go. It's a really cool set up.

You get the best of both worlds at a minimum of expense. If you want to put a scope on the shotgun I recommend Nikon. Not the cheapest but a lot less than a Leupold and the like. Great glass IMO.

Each animal presents their own challenges and rewards. Every one is different. I say try them all and see which you like best. Or if you're like me, keep trying them all year after year. Ha ha. Good luck to ya.

If you have any other questions just ask. There's a bunch of good people on this board that'll lend some advice.

(Lancaster County)

I'm taking "Hunter-trapper Education" (3 day course) in Lancaster next weekend. I guess that's the "hunter's safety course" you mention Dredly? Whatever rifle I pick, I'll be using at an Appleseed event so hopefully I won't be the guy making everyone track.

JDC, is there a way to find people who also hunt (besides here)?

NoMoreOp4, I'll be field dressing myself. So yeah I'll need to see how that's done and learn it. I was surprised that YouTube has a couple. Ideally, I'm going to take the Vension 101 course at Penns State in September.

Are there any hunting podcasts or videocasts that people enjoy? I catch all mine through iTunes.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by jaron3 View Post
    Rolsby - After passing the HTE course the first thing I would do is go out and buy a nice used combo shotgun. That way you can use it for small game and turkey. Then put on the slug barrel and hunt deer. My buddy has a Mossberg pump 12 gauge that came with a smooth bore barrel and a rifled barrel. The slug barrel is drilled and tapped to accept scope mounts so his scope is permanently attached to the slug barrel. Just switch barrels and you're ready to go. It's a really cool set up.

You get the best of both worlds at a minimum of expense. If you want to put a scope on the shotgun I recommend Nikon. Not the cheapest but a lot less than a Leupold and the like. Great glass IMO.

Each animal presents their own challenges and rewards. Every one is different. I say try them all and see which you like best. Or if you're like me, keep trying them all year after year. Ha ha. Good luck to ya.

If you have any other questions just ask. There's a bunch of good people on this board that'll lend some advice.
    ^^^ This. Exactly this. A decent shotgun setup lets you hunt just about everything in PA that walks, flies or crawls. You can shoot some clay birds (skeet) to learn the ropes and hit the range for some targets with your rifled/scoped barrel. Practice not only makes perfect but it is fun also.

(Somerset County)

As everyone else said: the hunter trapper education class, maybe try to find someone that hunts, and practice shooting whatever you decide to hunt with.

As someone already mentioned a flintlock would be a good choice to ge you the most time in the woods, but they can be frustrating when they won't flash or flash but don't fire,etc... For someone starting out it may be discouraging.

You can pick up a new Savage bolt action rifle, with a scope for around $300. You can also find some nice used rifles at shops if you look around.

Also what is the venison 101 class?
    Last edited by wrencher; May 13th, 2011 at 12:30 PM.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by wrencher View Post
    Also what is the venison 101 class?
    http://foodscience.psu.edu/workshops/venison-101

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast