Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Dunham's in Butler-STAY AWAY

So I saw what I thought was a decent deal on a case of shotgun ammo for 52 bucks in the Dunham's mailer. Well I was in the area so I figured why not pick up a case. I opened the box tonight not really sure why I guess I just wanted to check the ammo out.

It turns out the bottom row of shells in all 10 boxes are completely rusted and corroded. It looks like someone had left the shells sitting in standing water. So now I go to look up the return policy and of course ammunition is on the non refundable list.

I am absolutely livid. I am going back to the store tomorrow to see if they are willing to work with me. Wish me luck

Have any of you had similar experiences? If so were you able to at least exchange it?
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Fayette County)

Default Re: Dunham's in Butler-STAY AWAY

Wow, you have eery right to be extremely angry.

I have never had to return anything at a Dunhams store.
    But most places have a no return/exchange policy on ammo.

But in your case, they should definitely give you a refund or exchange.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

That is some serious BS! I would return to the store with your receipt and demand to see the manager. Dont bother wasting your time at the return counter. More likely than not, they were not aware the ammo was in that condition and they bought it that way! Let us know what happens and if the answer is unsatisfactory then blast the store on every forum you can!
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Venango County)

We have a local dunhams here. (just up the road from butler)

I have been in there many times. Have never had an employee say "How are you today" or "Can I help you find anything?"

When I have tracked them down, none seem to know anything about any items in their department. Most seem to engrossed in picking their noses, to bother helping a customer.

Also, their "no one beats our price. . .guaranty" is (from what the manager told me) limited to direct competitors, no farther than a mile from their location. So, they are willing to beat walmarts advertised prices on paddle boats, and single stack AKs. Which, considering walmarts limited selection, isn't alot for them to price match.

And I will admit, I am a bit jaded at the way I have seen things done at my local location. However, with what happened to you. Depending on how they handle the ammo for you, might just be the final nail in the coffin as far as my purchases are for there. I don't buy much, but I have gone for deals when I can't find something elsewhere. Hopefully a manager can get this straightened for you.
    I'm so fast, I can bump fire a bolt action.

(Lebanon County)

First of all, how long ago did you buy it and do you still have the receipt? If it was recent there's no way it could have corroded so badly in such a short period of time, it was obviously sold that way.
    I'd most definitely take it back regardless of any written policy they may have, you got defective merchandise. Don't go in yelling, swearing or making threats, that will just set the stage for an unpleasant encounter.

Anyone should be able to see that there's a problem and it's not your fault. It's probably not the fault of the manager either but he or she would be the one who can and should correct the problem for you. Chances are that some of the cases got wet during storage or transport before they got to the store, although it could have happened there (In which case the manager could be held personally responsible). Either way, yours probably isn't the only case that was affected. Ask if they've had any other complaints and ask if they'd be willing to look at some of the other cases for similar damage. Does the outside of the box show any signs of getting wet, even slight discoloration or wrinkling of the cardboard/corrugated paper at the very bottom of the case? If you can find another like that you'd have a good candidate for proving your claim on the spot. If not ask if they'd be willing to open another case with the same lot number to see what the condition is.
    Dunham's is a big enough chain that they must have someone in upper management (corporate) who wants to keep customers happy and they probably try to keep people with that sort of mindset in management in the individual stores.
    Take it in with your receipt (if you still have it) or a copy of the mailer that you saw the advertisement in and politely tell them that you found a problem when you opened the case. My guess is that the issue will be resolved quickly, if not, then you get on the phone to corporate management and firmly but politely explain the situation. If it isn't resolved to your satisfaction we want to hear the details, and I'm sure there are many others who would also like to hear all about it. If you don't get satisfaction don't be shy about telling them that you have a lot of friends, personal, casual and on the Internet who enjoy sports and are all potential customers and we're all waiting to hear the outcome of this situation. (I really think it won't come to that though but if it does please be factual and don't set yourself up for a libel or slander charge).

Good luck and please let us know how it turns out for you.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    Don't go in yelling, swearing or making threats, that will just set the stage for an unpleasant encounter.
    This is a very important point.

I have been in stores where wannabe "tough guys" start running their mouths and get nowhere.

But when you are professional and polite it will get you much further.

Let us know what happens!
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Allegheny County)

I think it is way overboard to start a thread with "STAY AWAY" in it. It was 10 shells that no one was aware of. I highly doubt they would willingly sell you the ammo if they knew what was in the box. Calm down and go exchange it, life will continue.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    I think it is way overboard to start a thread with "STAY AWAY" in it. It was 10 shells that no one was aware of. I highly doubt they would willingly sell you the ammo if they knew what was in the box. Calm down and go exchange it, life will continue.
    Thanks for you opinion but I am unhappy because they shouldnt be selling rusted ammo that has obviously been soaked in water during storage. The external case box shows not signs of water damage however the individual shell boxes show heavy signs of water damage. This indicated the shell boxes were repackaged into a bigger box, taped up, and clearly marked with a dunhams sticker CASE PACK ONLY DO NOT SELL AS INDIVIDUAL INNER PACKAGES. It really looks as if they realized their storage error swapped out the case boxes and put them on sale knowing that ammunition cannot be returned. If it was an honest mistake so be it, but it does appear to be a mistake, and its a lot more then ten shells it the entire bottom row of shells in the box so somewhere between 25-35 because it affect the second row in some boxes too.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    First of all, how long ago did you buy it and do you still have the receipt? If it was recent there's no way it could have corroded so badly in such a short period of time, it was obviously sold that way.
    I'd most definitely take it back regardless of any written policy they may have, you got defective merchandise. Don't go in yelling, swearing or making threats, that will just set the stage for an unpleasant encounter.

Anyone should be able to see that there's a problem and it's not your fault. It's probably not the fault of the manager either but he or she would be the one who can and should correct the problem for you. Chances are that some of the cases got wet during storage or transport before they got to the store, although it could have happened there (In which case the manager could be held personally responsible). Either way, yours probably isn't the only case that was affected. Ask if they've had any other complaints and ask if they'd be willing to look at some of the other cases for similar damage. Does the outside of the box show any signs of getting wet, even slight discoloration or wrinkling of the cardboard/corrugated paper at the very bottom of the case? If you can find another like that you'd have a good candidate for proving your claim on the spot. If not ask if they'd be willing to open another case with the same lot number to see what the condition is.
    Dunham's is a big enough chain that they must have someone in upper management (corporate) who wants to keep customers happy and they probably try to keep people with that sort of mindset in management in the individual stores.
    Take it in with your receipt (if you still have it) or a copy of the mailer that you saw the advertisement in and politely tell them that you found a problem when you opened the case. My guess is that the issue will be resolved quickly, if not, then you get on the phone to corporate management and firmly but politely explain the situation. If it isn't resolved to your satisfaction we want to hear the details, and I'm sure there are many others who would also like to hear all about it. If you don't get satisfaction don't be shy about telling them that you have a lot of friends, personal, casual and on the Internet who enjoy sports and are all potential customers and we're all waiting to hear the outcome of this situation. (I really think it won't come to that though but if it does please be factual and don't set yourself up for a libel or slander charge).

Good luck and please let us know how it turns out for you.

I bought the case two days ago and I still have the receipt. The amount of corrosion on the shells indicates that they have been rusting for at least weeks. Its not even surface rust on some, a few of their brass bases are completely rusted through. It just shows complete neglect.

(Allegheny County)

Or some kid who has no clue just did what he was told and repacked it.

I guess the world being out to get you is a possibility, but I would still reserve judgement until after they have been given a chance to fix it.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast