Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default A question about shipping a 17rd pistol to new jersey

Hello, I have a high capacity 17rd. pistol that a guy in new jersey wants to purchase. He said he lives in NJ but his dad lives in PA. He wanted to know if I can ship the pistol to NJ without the mags and ship the mags to his dad in PA.
    Is this legal to do???
    Thanks.

Tmygun:-)

BTW: I am selling privately with a copy of my driver's license sent to his FFL. Is this ok, or does NJ require it to be shipped by a dealer?

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: A question about shipping a 17rd pistol to new jersey

Federal law says long guns must be transferred through a FFL in any state, and handguns must be transferred through a FFL in the buyer's home state. ....so you will have to ship the a handgun to a FFL in NJ. NJ doesn't require that the person shipping be a FFL. ...just some FFL's prefer it come from another FFL.

It would be legal to ship the mags to his father in PA. But you know what is gonna happen - the son will take ownership of them from his dad and illegally take them to NJ. 15rds is the legal limit in NJ.
    Last edited by knight0334; May 11th, 2011 at 10:42 AM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tmygun View Post
    Hi, Thanks for the info. I know the gun has to go to an FFL, but I wanted to know if it's legal for his FFL to receive the pistol from me (with a copy of my driver's license), or do I need to have it shipped from an FFL here in PA?
    I know he will get those mags from his dad, but that's his business to know the law, right?
    Thanks.

Tmygun
    It doesn't need to be shipped from a FFL unless the receiving FFL requires it from his own preferences.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by Tmygun View Post
    I know the gun has to go to an FFL, but I wanted to know if it's legal for his FFL to receive the pistol from me (with a copy of my driver's license), or do I need to have it shipped from an FFL here in PA?
    Unless there's another weird NJ law, it's legal, but many (most??) FFLs won't accept a handgun shipment unless it's from another FFL. He needs to check with his FFL.

(Bucks County)

Can this particular gun use a 15 or less mag? If not, then he probably can't even own the gun itself?

Maybe just sell the whole package to the father and let them work it out after?

(Mifflin County)

Personally, I'd either walk away from the deal entirely, or sell just gun and resell the mags to someone unrelated to the NJ buyer. You already stated (publicly) that you know the son can't legally possess them in NJ, and that you know he will obtain them illegally from the father if you ship them to him. Sounds like being an accessory to the crime to me.

(Montgomery County)

The NJ guy CAN own a 17rnd mag just fine he just cannot possess it in NJ so what's the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by IV_Warrior View Post
    Personally, I'd either walk away from the deal entirely, or sell just gun and resell the mags to someone unrelated to the NJ buyer. You already stated (publicly) that you know the son can't legally possess them in NJ, and that you know he will obtain them illegally from the father if you ship them to him. Sounds like being an accessory to the crime to me.
    Not sure that I'd walk away from the deal, but I would tell him that you will only sell the gun without the 17-rd mag(s) and reduce the price accordingly. It won't be hard to sell the mag(s) to someone that lives in a free state.

Definitely make sure he checks that his receiving FFL will accept a handgun from a private individual. Other than those two things, you're GTG.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member