Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Does your Crossbreed holster smell like fish?

At first I thought I was imagining things, but as soon as I opened the package I got a whiff of something sour, almost like rotting fish, just not as strong. I've been wearing it for the past 3 days or so, and it is starting to break in. I like it a lot, but 3-5 times a day I get another smell of fish. Am I the only one?! Any suggestions on how to get rid of it? Is this just what leather and kydex smell like?!

Thanks in advance,

Chris

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Does your Crossbreed holster smell like fish?

I love the smell of leather. It has never smelled like fish to me.

I don't know what you are smelling.

best thread ever

(Bucks County)

LOL! I know this fits the mold of a troll thread, but it's an honest question!

It definitely doesn't smell like any leather I've been around before.

Chris
    Last edited by chrisaka; December 27th, 2007 at 03:29 PM.

When I used to keep American Pitbull Terriers, all of the better - really heavy duty - dog collars always smelled like fish oil.

This was because the oil used to waterproof these collars was, in fact, fish oil. Apparently it's as good for leather as it is stinky. The smell will wear off; my dog's collars used to smell for a month or more before the stink began to subside. If you want to get rid of it, simply wash the holster down with detergent and reoil it with a lubricant like Pecard's Leather Dressing.

If it were my holster I'd give it a light wash, put the gun in a plastic baggie or Saran Wrap, insert it in the holster and press the leather to shape around the pistol with my fingers. Then, let the damp holster dry out slowly over a two or three day period of time before finally using the Pecard's - Which can be applied in a PREHEATED oven set to the LOWEST temperature for about 15 or 20 minutes.

Ain't no big deal. Fish oil is a very good leather preservative; but, this is the first time I've ever heard of it being used on an article of personal clothing other than heavy work boots.
    Last edited by G21.45; December 27th, 2007 at 03:36 PM.

lol I don't doubt its a legit question, sometimes products just plain stink....

very amusing title though

(Bucks County)

Thanks for the recommendation. Sounds like that should do the trick. I'll email the Crossbreed guys and ask if they use an Fish oil on their products.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by G21.45 View Post
    When I used to keep American Pitbull Terriers, all of the better - really heavy duty - dog collars always smelled like fish oil.

This was because the oil used to waterproof these collars was, in fact, fish oil. Apparently it's as good for leather as it is stinky. The smell will wear off; my dog's collars used to smell for a month or more before the stink began to subside. If you want to get rid of it, simply wash the holster down with detergent and reoil it with a lubricant like Pecard's Leather Dressing.

If it were my holster I'd give it a light wash, put the gun in a plastic baggie or Saran Wrap, insert it in the holster and press the leather to shape around the pistol with my fingers. Then, let the damp holster dry out slowly over a two or three day period of time before finally using the Pecard's - Which can be applied in a PREHEATED oven set to the LOWEST temperature for about 15 or 20 minutes.

Ain't no big deal. Fish oil is a very good leather preservative; but, this is the first time I've ever heard of it being used on an article of personal clothing other than heavy work boots.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by chrisaka View Post
    At first I thought I was imagining things, but as soon as I opened the package I got a whiff of something sour, almost like rotting fish, just not as strong. I've been wearing it for the past 3 days or so, and it is starting to break in. I like it a lot, but 3-5 times a day I get another smell of fish. Am I the only one?! Any suggestions on how to get rid of it? Is this just what leather and kydex smell like?!

Thanks in advance,

Chris
    .......k, now that I'm under control here, No, leather does not smell like fish......you could always wipe it down with a damp cloth and see if it helps, but just wipe it, don't soak it.............

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by chrisaka View Post

Thanks in advance,

Chris
    Just curious....."Is this particular Holster made in NJ?" ...that might explain a lot

Just kidding of course...sorry to hear of your fishy dilemma!!!!
    Μολών λαβέ

(Berks County)

I've heard that some gun holsters are made from the hides of shark, whale, stingray, etc. So that could explain the fishy smell. It could also be the fish oil used for lubrication/conditioning or during the leather tanning process.

rand

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast