Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default First time doing a 3-gun comp - Hiedelberg

So I’m planning on doing my first 3-gun shoot at Hiedelberg on the 21st. I have done some research on what is necessary gear wise, but I have a few weapon questions. Being my first time, I don’t want to look like a complete noobie and/or schlub (probable will though) at the event. I’m not too worried about my score the first go around. My goal is to look like I at least know what I’m doing as much as possible. Really just want to gain the experience, training and conversation with the other participants. I’m interested in learning about the good and bad techniques more than anything and I see through multiple posts and videos that the competitors (old and young) are very helpful and willing to talk shop at the matches.

For the competition, my plan is to run my Bushmaster M4A3 with a red dot, Glock 19 (9mm) or Sig P220 (.45), and an ancient, but very reliable model 31 Remington 20 G.

My questions:
    Question 1 - Should I use the Glock or the Sig for the competition?

Question 2 - I have a thigh holster and a belt holster. Which is better suited and are they both acceptable for the competition.

Question 3 -Should I use the Remington or just do a 2-gun competition? The reason I ask is because I see most use a 12G newer model shotguns. The model 31 as many will know is a very reliable old shotgun, but it is not really a 3-gun competition weapon (Hence, I don’t want to look ridiculous by brining an odd weapon).

Question 4 – Is their anything I should be aware of or bring with me to the competition that will make the experience that much more memorable?

I am very much looking forward to the expierence and hope to gain a great deal of intel form the group. Thank you ahead of time for suggestions and help and if anyone is going, I look forward to meeting you.

(Berks County)

Default Re: First time doing a 3-gun comp - Hiedelberg

Quote Originally Posted by fraz5286 View Post
    So I’m planning on doing my first 3-gun shoot at Hiedelberg on the 21st. I have done some research on what is necessary gear wise, but I have a few weapon questions. Being my first time, I don’t want to look like a complete noobie and/or schlub (probable will though) at the event. I’m not too worried about my score the first go around. My goal is to look like I at least know what I’m doing as much as possible. Really just want to gain the experience, training and conversation with the other participants. I’m interested in learning about the good and bad techniques more than anything and I see through multiple posts and videos that the competitors (old and young) are very helpful and willing to talk shop at the matches.

For the competition, my plan is to run my Bushmaster M4A3 with a red dot, Glock 19 (9mm) or Sig P220 (.45), and an ancient, but very reliable model 31 Remington 20 G.

My questions:

Question 2 - I have a thigh holster and a belt holster. Which is better suited and are they both acceptable for the competition.

Question 3 -Should I use the Remington or just do a 2-gun competition? The reason I ask is because I see most use a 12G newer model shotguns. The model 31 as many will know is a very reliable old shotgun, but it is not really a 3-gun competition weapon (Hence, I don’t want to look ridiculous by brining an odd weapon).

Question 4 – Is their anything I should be aware of or bring with me to the competition that will make the experience that much more memorable?

I am very much looking forward to the expierence and hope to gain a great deal of intel form the group. Thank you ahead of time for suggestions and help and if anyone is going, I look forward to meeting you.
    Glad to see that you're going! Remember, we were ALL newbies at one point or another! I promise you this; you will have the time of your life! The Heidelberg shoot isn't really a "competition"....more like a bunch of people who love guns getting together and having fun. You're totally right about not worrying about your score.....safety first and foremost....then have fun!

To answer some of your questions:

1. Bring both handguns! I normaly shoot a Beretta 92 in 9mm, but I have had issues in the past knocking down steel plates on some stages. However, the promblem was me! I had "light" reloads I brewed up & of course shot placement is always #1 !! Plus, if one gun goes down, you'll have a back up. The red dot on the AR is the way to go! All the rifle shots are generally 20-40 yards.

2. I really hate thigh holsters! At the last shoot my pistol bounced out of mine. I hit the retention strap with a mag unknowingly. Ugh. Plus, when you sit down, you'll most likely be sweeping other participants!

3. Bring the Remy! Old guns are way cool at these shoots. There's more than one shooter that has used a revolver with speed loaders even. There's also another guy that rocks a WWII vintage shotgun....and I believe he's faster with that than a lot of guys with semi's!!! There are even lever action shotguns there. The odder the better!

4. Bring a camera (cell phone?), a cooler with drinks and snacks and some type of chair. There can be as much as an hour or so between your turns.

I'm sure Pagoda240 (Jay) will be there as well as myself. We can attempt to get squaded up together if you'd like........I'll be in a white Toyota Camry with tinted windows and Jay drives an O.D. green Subaru with a moped embedded in the front bumper...LOL

Also, don't load up your mags before getting to the stage! So many times I see guys at their vehicles in the lot loading up one mag after another after another. Every stage is different! You may start with 4 rounds in one mag and then 12 in your second. It changes all of the time. I bring extra mags and leave them in the car. Nothing like a $2.00 broken mag spring to ruin your day!
    Last edited by QUADZILLA; May 10th, 2011 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by QUADZILLA View Post
    Glad to see that you're going! Remember, we were ALL newbies at one point or another! I promise you this; you will have the time of your life! The Heidelberg shoot isn't really a "competition"....more like a bunch of people who love guns getting together and having fun. You're totally right about not worrying about your score.....safety first and foremost....then have fun!

To answer some of your questions:

1. Bring both handguns! I normaly shoot a Beretta 92 in 9mm, but I have had issues in the past knocking down steel plates on some stages. However, the promblem was me! I had "light" reloads I brewed up & of course shot placement is always #1 !! Plus, if one gun goes down, you'll have a back up. The red dot on the AR is the way to go! All the rifle shots are generally 20-40 yards.

2. I really hate thigh holsters! At the last shoot my pistol bounced out of mine. I hit the retention strap with a mag unknowingly. Ugh. Plus, when you sit down, you'll most likely be sweeping other participants!

3. Bring the Remy! Old guns are way cool at these shoots. There's more than one shooter that has used a revolver with speed loaders even. There's also another guy that rocks a WWII vintage shotgun....and I believe he's faster with that than a lot of guys with semi's!!! There are even lever action shotguns there. The odder the better!

4. Bring a camera (cell phone?), a cooler with drinks and snacks and some type of chair. There can be as much as an hour or so between your turns.

I'm sure Pagoda240 (Jay) will be there as well as myself. We can attempt to get squaded up together if you'd like........I'll be in a white Toyota Camry with tinted windows and Jay drives an O.D. green Subaru with a moped embedded in the front bumper...LOL

Also, don't load up your mags before getting to the stage! So many times I see guys at their vehicles in the lot loading up one mag after another after another. Every stage is different! You may start with 4 rounds in one mag and then 12 in your second. It changes all of the time. I bring extra mags and leave them in the car. Nothing like a $2.00 broken mag spring to ruin your day!
    Thats the kind of response I was looking for. Thanks Quad!

Im more equipped for my thigh holster at this point, but maybe I can pick up a few mag holders for my duty belt before the event. Also, thanks for the invite! If you guys dont mind the newbie, Im more than happy to squad up with you guys. The more intel, expierence and tips the better!

On the day of the event, I will be driving a grey Nissan Altima (I know, very rare). Ill keep an eye out for you guys. Thanks for the help!

(Montgomery County)

Don't worry about being a newbie.... I am going to be there (also my first time) with two other guys ALL NEWBIES. I hear it is a great shoot. It sounds more relaxed then something like a uspsa competition. I hope to see you there, now lets all hope for good weather!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1911carry View Post
    Don't worry about being a newbie.... I am going to be there (also my first time) with two other guys ALL NEWBIES. I hear it is a great shoot. It sounds more relaxed then something like a uspsa competition. I hope to see you there, now lets all hope for good weather!
    Yes, much, much more relaxed!!

My take on the shoot? There are no prizes, trophies or money to be had. You are basically competing with yourself....safety and shot placement. It's a place to hone your own skills and test your equipment. I for one, am HAPPY when something malfunctions....it gives you a chance to work through problems "on the run" and really tests your nerves. It gives us a chance to shoot in a "tactical" scenerio (which I can't do at my local range) by shooting around, through and under barriers.

I have yet to meet someone who wasn't relaxed and happy to talk "shop". It is a seriously relaxed atmosphere!! Bring a folding chair, drinks and snacks. I find jerky is the perfect snack for these shoots. The "church ladies" usually bring down a real good lunch for $5.00.

I am by no means an "expert" at these shoots....I just love going to this one. $10.00 for all day and it's a day away from work and the wife and kids. After the shoot, I spend the next four weeks thinking about what I could do differently the next time around!

(Montgomery County)

What time does the shoot normally end?

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1911carry View Post
    What time does the shoot normally end?
    That will all depend on the number of shooters. I've been out of there by 1:00pm already, but then during the summer months it's been as late as 4:30-5:00pm!

You are free to leave at any time (you'll just get max time for any un-shot stages).

Additionally, the "squad" tapes their own targets and re-sets steel and any reactive targets between shooters. The more people that help with that the better. It'll make things move along much faster. The target pasters are provided for by the range....so we just have to cover up the bullet holes for the next shooter.

Also, a word of advice....if you're a "new" shooter, you probably do NOT want to be the first shooter on the squad!! It helps soooo much to watch the guys in front of you. Sometimes the stages can get somewhat complex. Everyone is different, but I much prefer to be from 3rd on down. If you are listed as first when you get to the stage, there's no harm in requesting to be moved further down on the list....I've done it as others have too! Although some guys prefer 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by QUADZILLA View Post
    Also, a word of advice....if you're a "new" shooter, you probably do NOT want to be the first shooter on the squad!! It helps soooo much to watch the guys in front of you. Sometimes the stages can get somewhat complex. Everyone is different, but I much prefer to be from 3rd on down. If you are listed as first when you get to the stage, there's no harm in requesting to be moved further down on the list....I've done it as others have too! Although some guys prefer 1st.
    Good advice. I will definately try to request that if im listed as first. Im not shy by any means, but seeing someone go through it first is huge familiarity factor. Looking forward to meeting you guys!

Quote Originally Posted by fraz5286 View Post

My questions:

First all don't think of this as a competition but as training.

1. Glock - safe action or single action rules/

2. I am not a fan of thigh rigs but you will see them out there. I use the same holster i use for USPSA .

3. Bring whatever shotgun you have... I started with a 870 pump then Saiga 12 and now I have a Rem1100. Also feel free to use my shotgun if you don't like the way yours is performing.

4. Good attitude and don't worry about the misses.... Just being there your 100% better than anyone with there kimber/colts sitting in there safe.

Damm all this talk of 3gun is got me allllllllll gidddyy...
    Tantric Shooting Team

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pagoda240 View Post

Damm all this talk of 3gun is got me allllllllll gidddyy...
    And I got the "first stage butterflies"!

Did you get the moped out of your bumper yet??? LOL

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast