Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Motorcycle Carry

After the recent kid in Philly was shot to death in a motorcycle robbery attempted it reminded me why I like to carry when I ride.

My issue is, I ride a sportbike and the stance I sit in my Glock 23 is always hanging out no matter which of my IWB holsters I use... I was considering an ankle holster as long as it's retention is bullet proof, or a shoulder rig which would require me to wear my dang jacket 24/7 on the bike.

Any recommendations? I dont' have a huge budget I don't mind sacrificing a bit of comfort as long as the quality and rentention is still good.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Motorcycle Carry

man, i have to get rid of that ridiculous sig.... where did that even come from?!

(Butler County)

I use a crossbreed minituck for my PM9 and a crossbreed supertuck for my g19 when on my FJR with no problem but it is a sport tourer so the posture is quite different.

On the shoulder rig... there are some deep conceal carry straps that you could possibly hide under a t-shirt though the draw might be a bit complicated and I'm not sure how comfortable they are.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

(McKean County)

You should ride with all the protection you can. Get a mesh jacket with armor. Good ones can go as low as $89 on sale, they have plenty of air circulation for hot days, and usually come with liners for cooler days. Then you can use a shoulder holster. You lean too far forward on your sport bike to carry like I do. I sit a little more upright on my FJR, so I carry cross-draw IWB comfortably, either my Model 13-1 4" or my 642.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by FJRMarty View Post
    You should ride with all the protection you can. Get a mesh jacket with armor. Good ones can go as low as $89 on sale, they have plenty of air circulation for hot days, and usually come with liners for cooler days. Then you can use a shoulder holster. You lean too far forward on your sport bike to carry like I do. I sit a little more upright on my FJR, so I carry cross-draw IWB comfortably, either my Model 13-1 4" or my 642.
    I do ride with a nice mesh Icon jacket, but I also have an Icon Field Armor vest that I like to wear when I running around in the city. I also have knee pucks/shin guards and elbow/forearm guards.

(Washington County)

Good to hear that you ride with gear on. Skin grafts are more expensive and very uncomfortable I hear, more so than good gear.

As for carry, there arent many great options. Can you reach into a pocket when you have had the drop on you? Carry on a cycle is a bit different than a car, your buffer of the vehicle around you is gone, and if you like loud noises for some reason*, your bike will be limiting your awareness of your surroundings.

Keeping alert will do more than anything, and maybe some better retention in a OWB holster. Check those mirrors frequently, and keep an eye around you, and a space between you and the next car so you can get out of dodge quick.

(*Loud pipes dont save lives, in fact, stats show that you are more likely to end up dead with them on. Dont know the reason, and I like my ears )

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by NonLinearEdits View Post
    After the recent kid in Philly was shot to death in a motorcycle robbery attempted it reminded me why I like to carry when I ride.

My issue is, I ride a sportbike and the stance I sit in my Glock 23 is always hanging out no matter which of my IWB holsters I use... I was considering an ankle holster as long as it's retention is bullet proof, or a shoulder rig which would require me to wear my dang jacket 24/7 on the bike.

Any recommendations? I dont' have a huge budget I don't mind sacrificing a bit of comfort as long as the quality and rentention is still good.
    I've got a couple different motorcycles including an R1. I carry IWB probably 95% of the time and use holsters made by Brigade Gun Leather, here is the one I use http://www.brigadegunleather.com/m-11-hardcore.html

While on a cruiser there is never a problem with concealment while on the R1 my shirt or jacket for that matter will ride up ... I will always "recover" when stopped and occasionaly while riding I will pull jacket back down. Other then having a jacket 3X too big you'll never cover 100% with an IWB holster. I personly would not use an ankle holster while riding but thats just me ... good luck with whatever you choose.

Not that it matter but I rotate betwen G23, Wather PPS and SW686 ... same model holster for both autos different for 686 but still Brigade IWB

(Montgomery County)

I actually just ordered up an under the shoulder just to give it a try... figured I can use it in the winter or fall if it's not comfortable while riding... I was thinking about getting a Belly Band despite the bad reviews, that way I could sport my glock under my "field armor" vest too.

My IWB holster is that fobus hard plastic one I think its called the elite... I love it off the bike but there's no give or active retention on it so it makes me nervous on my bike.

(York County)

Although none of my bikes are of the crotch rocket design, (I just can't fit on them), some of my older 80's Hondas do lurch me forward.

I don't really care for IWB when I'm on the bike, because if you go down, (which I have numerous times), the hip tends to take a blow. I know, I dislocated mine in my last accident and if I had a weapon there,.....even bigger Ouwwie!!

I usually carry in my left boot with an Uncle Mike's clip/IWB or in a shoulder holster. If I know I'll be stopping and taking the jacket off, I wear a very light weight vest that keeps things covered nicely.

Sometimes I'll even slip my P11 into the inside cell phone pocket on my Cortech jacket. Very handy!
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

(Carbon County)

I ride a sportbike and I always carry my snubby inside 1 of the front pockets of my riding jacket in either a pocket or a IWB holster so it's pretty easily accessible. I've tried carrying 1 of my stery MA's in a crossbreed supertuck. My shirt or jacket kept riding up.

That guy in Philly had no chance from what the news said.......
    "Be aware of you surroundings"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast