Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default A new reason to have a LTCF!

Ok, not really a reason, but it bailed me out yesterday.

I was at the Philly airport and about to catch a flight. When I went to pull out my drivers license, it wasn't there. My license is ALWAYS in my wallet... apparently not this time. I had just picked up a new company car the other day and had to show license/insurance to the dealer for them to release the car. When I was moving stuff from the old one to new one, I threw the insurance card in the glove box and forgot that my license was there too.

Well, I usually carry my passport too, but yesterday morning when I was about to grab it I thought to myself "I never need it when I travel domestically. I'd better leave it here so I don't lose it." wonderful.

The only ID I had was my LTCF and while the ticketing agent didn't accept it, her manager did. Also, when I was going through security, the girl wasn't sure if she could accept it, but her supervisor glanced at it and said "License to carry? Yeah, that'll work" She's obviously seen them more than once because she wasn't even close enough to read it.

All in all, I usually don't like to advertise that I have that license, but it saved me a TON of heartache yesterday because the next possible flight to my destination was a full 24 hours away.

edit: Ironically, I wasn't able to buy a beer in the Phoenix airport bar (layover) because they said I had to have a DL or passport..... I'm 38 btw. So, I can get on a plane but can't buy a beer even though I am a year and a half from turning 40

Default Re: A new reason to have a LTCF!

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post

I was at the Philly airport and about to catch a flight. When I went to pull out my drivers license, it wasn't there. My license is ALWAYS in my wallet... apparently not this time. I had just picked up a new company car the other day and had to show license/insurance to the dealer for them to release the car. When I was moving stuff from the old one to new one, I threw the insurance card in the glove box and forgot that my license was there too.

Well, I usually carry my passport too, but yesterday morning when I was about to grab it I thought to myself "I never need it when I travel domestically. I'd better leave it here so I don't lose it." wonderful.

The only ID I had was my LTCF and while the ticketing agent didn't accept it, her manager did. Also, when I was going through security, the girl wasn't sure if she could accept it, but her supervisor glanced at it and said "License to carry? Yeah, that'll work" She's obviously seen them more than once because she wasn't even close enough to read it.

All in all, I usually don't like to advertise that I have that license, but it saved me a TON of heartache yesterday because the next possible flight to my destination was a full 24 hours away.

edit: Ironically, I wasn't able to buy a beer in the Phoenix airport bar (layover) because they said I had to have a DL or passport..... I'm 38 btw. So, I can get on a plane but can't buy a beer even though I am a year and a half from turning 40
    Here's one that I wondered about. You know how it says your citizenship on it? I wonder if it could get you out of a jam at the border.

My gf and I went to Canada in March. Long story short, the passport she had with her was one that she had reported lost a year earlier. We got stopped at the border on the way back in and were held up for about 30 minutes. I had my LTCF right in front in my wallet because some club in Montreal didn't believe my drivers license so I had to show a secondary ID. (I also keep the LTCF hidden in the back of my wallet). One of the border agents asked all of us to empty our pockets and opened our wallets (he said it was to look at other ID but I think he was just being nosy).

He saw my LTCF and was a little confused about it. He turned it over a few times and then said to me, "says here you're a U.S. citizen." I just laughed and said "yes sir."

From the little research I've done I don't think it would be accepted as proof of citizenship but hey, it couldn't hurt!
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

(Montgomery County)

the ltcf is a legal form of government id. She should have accepted it for alcohol purchases

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post

Quote Originally Posted by exceltoexcel View Post
    the ltcf is a legal form of government id. She should have accepted it for alcohol purchases
    They won't (or at least are not supposed to) in PA. It's not a valid form of ID according to the LCB.

Here's what my 30 second search turned up:
    http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=612011&mode=2
    WHAT ARE ACCEPTABLE IDs?

Only the following are legally acceptable in Pennsylvania:

A valid photo driver's license issued by the PA Department of Transportation or by any other state.
    A valid photo identification card issued by the PA Department of Transportation or by any other state.
    A valid armed forces identification card containing the holder's photograph.
    A valid passport or travel visa issued from another country containing the holder's photograph.
    Last edited by zackattack784; May 9th, 2011 at 04:37 PM.
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by exceltoexcel View Post
    I tried to show her that it was an official, state issued ID. She didn't want to hear it.

I definitely didn't take a chance on exiting security in Phx to grab a smoke on my 2 hour layover. The TSA in PA may have allowed me to get through, but who knows about Phoenix.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by zackattack784 View Post
    They won't (or at least are not supposed to) in PA. It's not a valid form of ID according to the LCB.

Wait, the PA LCB is less corrupt than activist municipality governments/cops how??

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by zackattack784 View Post

true, but the PA LCB has no authority in Arizona. Hell, if it were PA, I wouldn't have been carded in the first place because they don't have that stupid policy. I was in the same exact place last week and saw them card a senior citizen. Saw the same thing at one of the airport bars in Vegas. White haired gentleman with a cane had to pull out his ID for a Budweiser.

(Bucks County)

I have used mine when asked for ID for Credit card purchases.
    Look to the One Who is wearing what should have been your scars...

(Centre County)

LCB requires a photo ID. I know my LTCF doesn't have a photo.

That said, my DL has a duplicate (an old PA-ID), so I use my LTCF at the liquor stores when they ask for a secondary ID. It's good enough for them, just like a credit card is.

(Montgomery County)

For the LTCF to be used as an official ID it needs to meet the requirements of the 2005 REAL ID Act.
    2 points that it is lacking are, ID has to have been verified using SS#, and has to be tamper resistent. (hologram).
    Since SS was fought in court to have it removed from LTCF, the LTCF will never be able to be used as a valid ID.
    The 2A does not GIVE us the right. It tells the gov they can not INFRINGE our right.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast