Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast
    (Fulton County)

Default Re: Police confront OCer

Glad it all worked out for you

welcome

LMAO
    Last edited by fultonCoShooter; December 27th, 2007 at 08:13 PM.

(Bucks County)

Red face Re: Police confront OCer

Happy Holidays. Can't we ALL get along for a day.

I noticed in a few posts/responses I have done there are ALOT of UP-tight (read that how you want (PC maybe or whatever..)) people on here.

This is the internet and as such you will get ALL types of answers/responses. Best way to reply if upset is not to waste your time sometimes.

Anyway. Happy Holidays. Again.
    Al Zeller

(Allegheny County)

Happy holidays(I mean MERRY CHRISTMAS!)to you too, alzeller!

You'd be hard pressed to find someone more easy to get along with than me.
    That said, I'll speak my mind when someone who clearly does not know me, makes accusations that are untrue.

This is actually a pretty good thread. No real "fighting"... just some debate, and some things that needed to be clarified.

Back to the original topic...
    It's funny, I often wonder what my response will be if anyone ever asks me about my handgun. Seems like any planned response would be forgotten anyway... I figure I'll just "roll with it" if it ever happens, but honesty and humor are likely to be a big part of it.

Imagine that, ME using humor when discussing firearms!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Franklin County)

I'll just pop my head up long enough to give a quick welcome RWhiteman. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience.

I don't intend to jump into the debate, but since I do regularly OC, I'll give my own opinons:

I would 'notice' someone else OCing, but certainly wouldn't be immediately alarmed. I have never seen anyone else OCing in public. I think in about two weeks I'll no longer be able to say that.

With the exception of Election Day, OCing has been a repeated non-event for me. If you don't want to do it yourself, don't. I could care less. I won't criticize anyone for not OCing. Too bad many folks on the other side of the fence don't feel the same way.

If I were to bet, I'd gamble that a 'bad' encounter is more likely to happen with a LEO than with a private citizen. This was my opinion before my own 'incident' occurred, and seems to be verified by the (admittedly few) 'bad' encounters we're aware of, though there's certainly not enough data to make a significant conclusion.

Disagree with me all you want, but don't ever question what I say in regards to my own beliefs. I think my own actions have shown that I don't just 'talk the talk'. Even though this is the internet, there are many of us here who have strong beliefs and aren't ashamed to let them be known and/or stand behind them when necessary.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by alzeller View Post
    Happy Holidays. Can't we ALL get along for a day.

I noticed in a few posts/responses I have done there are ALOT of UP-tight (read that how you want (PC maybe or whatever..)) people on here.

This is the internet and as such you will get ALL types of answers/responses. Best way to reply if upset is not to waste your time sometimes.

Anyway. Happy Holidays. Again.
    Group Hug.............

Ummmmmmmm .........I meant, I will drink to that.......
    Μολών λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by Glocker View Post
    Group Hug.............

Ummmmmmmm .........I meant, I will drink to that.......
    uhh...that better be you carrying in a smartcarry...
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.- George Washington

"I thought Lycan was a she"-dragonofpa

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by axmdr40 View Post
    uhh...that better be you carrying in a smartcarry...
    Now that was funny..........
    Μολών λαβέ

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I don't see a whole lot of hair-splitting going on...
    I've quoted the above post so you can see your own words. They are quite clear.

I didn't address the part at the bottom before, but do you REALLY think that is an acceptable viewpoint for the police to have? Nobody but them should have guns?
    That is pretty scary stuff.
    I dont know exactly what problem you're having reading that post of mine; I promise you nobody on this Forum or anywhere on Earth doesn't REACT differently to someone with a gun clearly strapped to their side verses not. NOBODY. So I am absolutely correct that if you say it has NO effect on you, that you're not being honest with yourself. Another way to say that is lying.

Now it was I that was accused of not having an understanding of the English language but I have always used the word react and somehow to some of you guys react is defined as being a suspect or criminal. You see what I mean by sort of maliciously changing what was said so one can tout it's wrong?

And scary as you might think it is, I would bet my life cops would be glad to wave a magic want and make all guns but theirs disappear; how many times have you been in a shootout as a cop? Every time a cop goes to work, he can only hope he comes home and that's because BG's have guns. How can you possibly say the concept of a cop wishing there we not other guns is some scary concept that crazy me is spewing? Don't get all huffy about Constitutional Rights, that IS NOT what I am saying; I'm speaking a fantasy or magic act.

This thread has gone sower, reasonable conversation went away. This is my last attempt and help you see what it says and nothing else.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by wboggs View Post
    I dont know exactly what problem you're having reading that post of mine; I promise you nobody on this Forum or anywhere on Earth doesn't REACT differently to someone with a gun clearly strapped to their side verses not. NOBODY. So I am absolutely correct that if you say it has NO effect on you, that you're not being honest with yourself. Another way to say that is lying.
    Not only are you wrong, but you're arrogant about your error. Another way to say that is, ignorant and moronic. I've seen people with guns being carried openly in public, I didn't react at all, which is exactly how I react to anyone else not doing something suspicious or intriguing. There are a number of observable principles or things relevant within the various social sciences that play a part here that make your conclusion severely retarded, but you enjoy your absurdity all you like.

And scary as you might think it is, I would bet my life cops would be glad to wave a magic want and make all guns but theirs disappear; how many times have you been in a shootout as a cop? Every time a cop goes to work, he can only hope he comes home and that's because BG's have guns.
    Um, you might want to look into how many cops ever face a situation where they are forced to draw their gun, forced to use it or face incoming fire themselves. The fact is, the overwhelming majority of Police Officers face little to no danger other than the chances they think they have to in their own minds based on fear-mongering and indoctrination in the academies. Fishing and lumber are more dangerous occupations than law enforcement.

So while this irrational fear may exist, and though it may be a predominant factor into the reason why the police might secretly (or even overtly) fantasize about a disarmed populace, they swear an oath to protect the rights of the citizens if I do recall correctly, and the Right to Keep and Bear Arms is included in that whether they like it or not. Any cop that can't parse that needs to find a new line of work.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by wboggs View Post
    I've asked if you've ever OC'ed and since you haven't answered, I have no choice but to assume you have not. If that is indeed the case, all you have to base your opinion of open carry on is speculation. Allow me to politely inform you as to the general reaction of the public at large as well as LEO's.

None. Zero. Zip. Nada. Most people go about their lives in condition white and wouldn't know you were OC'ing unless the pistol jumped out of its holster and bit them on the nose. IOW, 99% of the time OC elicits no reaction at all.

Your opinion is way out balance with the realities of open carry. FWIW, I rarely open carry. I am not an advocate of open carry just for the sake of open carry but I do want to retain it as an option.

Now it was I that was accused of not having an understanding of the English language but I have always used the word react and somehow to some of you guys react is defined as being a suspect or criminal. You see what I mean by sort of maliciously changing what was said so one can tout it's wrong?
    I recall reading in one of the replies the comment about not understanding the English language but it doesn't make a difference what word is used to gauge or measure the reaction of the public or LEO's because the reality is that your opinion is baseless.

It just doesn't happen according to your perception.

Since 1998 I can count on one hand the number of times OC among my circle of shooting friends elicited ANY reaction at all, positive or negative.

And besides, if one engages in a debate or conversation and one or both parties disagree, isn't it implied that one or both thinks the other is wrong? What is so "wrong" with that?

And scary as you might think it is, I would bet my life cops would be glad to wave a magic want and make all guns but theirs disappear;
    Here's a little known fact, cops are people too. They have their opinions just like you and me. But more importantly they develop "street smarts". It doesn't take a rookie very long to figure out that the average law abiding citizen isn't a threat to them. It doesn't take them very long to figure out who the bad guys are.

how many times have you been in a shootout as a cop? Every time a cop goes to work, he can only hope he comes home and that's because BG's have guns. How can you possibly say the concept of a cop wishing there we not other guns is some scary concept that crazy me is spewing? Don't get all huffy about Constitutional Rights, that IS NOT what I am saying; I'm speaking a fantasy or magic act.
    You must not know very many police officers.

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast