Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default PICS, Research and PIN numbers

The last itme I went to buy a rifle the PICS check put me into "research". After a week or so, the sale cleared and I was happy. Will this happen everytime I go to purchase a weapon? Does anyone know more about these PIN numbers I've been reading about to prevent delays in further purchases?
    Thanks

(Berks County)

Default Re: PICS, Research and PIN numbers

How long ago was this? I was at the Valley Forge Gun Show a few weeks back, and one of the vendors I bought from (Warner's Supply) mentioned that the PICS system was getting pounded by the show. He said when the system gets overloaded it'll just start putting people into "research" to try and handle the load. I was one of the lucky ones; he said I was one of the first sales of his that day that didn't either go into research or require a manual check by an operator. Good to know they suspended sales awhile back to "upgrade" the PICS system; must've been one hell of an upgrade.

Not too sure about the PIN numbers; it was my understanding that they are just ID numbers they give to every transaction so that individuals and FFLs have a record from the system that the purchase was approved. As far as making future checks faster, I don't think they'll help, although I the FFLs on the site would definitely have a more educated opinion than I.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas