Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default SMITH 642 Range Report

What can I say but this revolver delivered just about what I expected it to. I was shooting from 7 yards at a 4" cirlce target. First three rounds were way high, but grouped nicely. Second two were flyers. After looking at my target close up, I figured that I was sighting incorrectly with the revolver. I adjusted and then shot a great group just right of center within the circle. This continued for almost the rest of a box of ammo. I was shooting standard .38 Special loads. No plus P yet. I also had the opportunity to BS and shoot a bit with the VP here, Doug. I think we actually did more BSing that shooting, but we had a good time. I even got a chance to run a mag through his HK. Anyway, I would suggest that anyone in the market for a lightweight revolver give the Smith 642 a chance. The group I got was not all that bad. This was the first time in a LONG time that I fired a DAO snubbie. I am sure I will improve with more practice. (staging that internal hammer is not all that easy) Oh, and the recoil was very manageable.
    Jules

(Delaware County)

Default Re: SMITH 642 Range Report

Jules.. I've had my 642 for a while now and it's the one I carry. I shoot 100gr low recoil jhp rounds through it as it allows for quicker recovery for a follow up shot if needed. Some may argue with that choice but it works for me.
    A drill that was passed on to me also helped me with control of the pistol. The "rule of fives" drill consists of shooting all five rounds into a five inch circle from five yards in five seconds. It's not hard to master with a little practice and it's fun to do. I think that you'll find that the more you do it, the tighter your groups will become.

(Allegheny County)

Pictures please.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Montgomery County)

I've had my 642 for a little over a year now. It's almost always with me, either in my jacket pocket or on my ankle in a DeSantis Apache ankle rig.

The best thing you can do is to dry fire the crap out of it. The trigger will smooth out very nicely after about 300-400 pulls.

I added a set of Crimson Trace laser grips to mine. They make all the difference in the world. I practice shooting without using the sights, just the red dot. The CTs are also great for drawing and dry firing at home. I've done is so much that it's second nature to draw and shoot with it.

I do practice with the CTs off as well. I've gotten to the point where I can easily keep my groups under 2" at 7-9 yards.

There is a "642 Club" thread over on THR that is a wealth of info on the great little guns - from holsters to different ammo choices that seem to work best.
    The thread got so long (over 5000 posts ) that THR locked it and opened a new one.
    Here is a link to both threads.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=138658
    http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=314422

Good luck with your little mule.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveM55 View Post
    Pictures please.

I have pics in the "Gun Pic" forum. I don't have any target photos.
    Jules