Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Wayne County)

Default HIGH-POINT, cheap? or worth the money

Iknow high point gets alot of slack but there carbines are great. Now how about there pistols. I've shot the 9mm, It was ugly and a little on the heavy side but over all I didn't think it was that bad for a pistol that was under $200. I wouldn't carry it but for something to take out in the field and blow some rounds off if worked pretty good. I'd like to here what others think about it.

I know its no Sig lol

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: HIGH-POINT, cheap? or worth the money

Quote Originally Posted by coyote9570 View Post
    Iknow high point gets alot of slack but there carbines are great. Now how about there pistols. I've shot the 9mm, It was ugly and a little on the heavy side but over all I didn't think it was that bad for a pistol that was under $200. I wouldn't carry it but for something to take out in the field and blow some rounds off if worked pretty good. I'd like to here what others think about it.

I know its no Sig lol
    If cash is an issue then go ahead and buy it knowing it's a $200 gun.
    If you can accumulate a little more cash and can wait, buy something better (used).

Hawk,
    Toujours prêt

(Wayne County)

I understand what you are saying. I own a Walther p99 and a Sig 225 but for the money is it worth having a cheaper gun for the days u want to go shoot and the weather is not cooperating. Just one that u wouldn't mind if it got a little wet.

(Jefferson County)

I personally think they are worth the money..

I dont own one, but have shot several. Ugly as sin, but works every time I've pulled the trigger of the HiPoints of friends/family. (not crazy about the trigger pull though)

I think they are guarantied for life, no questions asked. Which is a statement about the company.

For guns that regularly run for less than $150, goes bang, guarantied - worth it.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by coyote9570 View Post
    I understand what you are saying. I own a Walther p99 and a Sig 225 but for the money is it worth having a cheaper gun for the days u want to go shoot and the weather is not cooperating. Just one that u wouldn't mind if it got a little wet.

That's a thought, but I'm guessing your itching to buy a new gun! Those other guns can stand the weather as long as you don't put them away wet. Another option is to spend you cash on ammo instead.

I''ll be the first to admit that I've scratched my itch several times .

Hawk,
    Toujours prêt

(Centre County)

While my opinion on ANY highpoint stuffs are less then ideal, fact remains that its usually less then $200 for NIB gun.
    They are certainly noy an eye candy, and simple blowback operation and top heavy design laggs far behind any modern semi-auto handgun.

But for the price of one NIB Sig or Beretta, you can arm your entire family. and have money left for some ammo
    That, and the fact they do function flowlessly regardless of how they look does ensures its place in the market.

Personally, I'd just buy used something, anything instead of HighPoint tho
    Last edited by Mity2; December 26th, 2007 at 07:16 PM.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Chester County)

Cheap crap, but they have their place: for those who can afford no better, yet still need to defend themselves, and won't buy used. Hopefully the $50 the buyer saves by buying a new Hi-Point instead of a used S&W revolver is worth the possibility of getting a "click" instead of a bang.

I'm absolutely opposed to buying (or advising anyone to buy) cheap guns when there are so many great used guns out there. The entire point of a handgun is portable self-defense. And in order effectively to perform that task, the handgun must be absolutely 100% reliable. Hi-Point (and most cheap guns) aren't 100%. I know that some folks can be so strapped for cash that $50 is the difference between a gun or no gun, but you clearly aren't, so why buy a shitty gun?

And if you're looking for something you can carry in crappy weather and not care about damaging or having to clean up -- buy a Glock or Springfield XD.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Luzerne County)

The same topic has been touched upon a few times, use the search function for more info. I had one for a few years and sold it (the 9mm with laser and comp) it was a decent gun that always went bang and actually worked pretty well. Mine was $159 brand new, I sold it for close to the same with no regret either way.
    Guns are good.
    If you can't fry it you shouldn't eat it
    Loud pipes save lives
    Mom spelled backwards spells....mom
    "Please don't squeeze the Charmin." ~ Mr. Whipple