Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Any Sony PS3-Fu Masters Here?

My kids (and I) got an 80 gb PS3 for Christmas. I'd like to hear some tips and tricks for this thing. I heard that you can load your games on the HDD so you don't have to load the disc every time? Is this true and how do you do it? Anything else I should know? Come on guys, give me the skinny on this bad boy!

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Any Sony PS3-Fu Masters Here?

Tip: Trade it up for a Wii

"Because I'm an American." - MtnJack

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by D-FENS View Post

BLASPHEMY!!!

Go out and buy "ROCKBAND SPECIAL EDITION".

THen play non-stop for the next couple of months with your kids.

I dont think you can load your games to HDD, however, what you can do, is download full games off the Playstation Network. Some are free, some you have to pay for.

Also if you are running it on an HD TV, make sure you have it set properly. (you may have to google this, and its not as simple as it sounds)

I think the PS3 is by far, the most potent console out there, and no matter what the nay-sayers say, its the only one thats got the potential to truly meet gaming demand in the next 5 or so years.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Westmoreland County)

I can see that I am going to need a wireless network in my house soon! So far we love the PS3!!

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

(Montgomery County)

The PS3 is a great piece of technology, I've had one since they came out. The one thing I really love about it is the Folding at Home program from Stanford University that you can leave running and it helps to possibly find cures for diseases like cancer, Alzheimer's, etc. I leave that thing running non stop.

Proud member of:

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by D-FENS View Post

*pets his Wii*

I love this thing.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post
    I think the PS3 is by far, the most potent console out there, and no matter what the nay-sayers say, its the only one thats got the potential to truly meet gaming demand in the next 5 or so years.
    The part about the prowess of the hardware is completely true, but the second part of your point seems to be a bit skewed. You have to think about what niche of the gaming demand each console fills. For the "I need the latest and greatest super-awesome graphics" crowd, the PS3 appears to be the king. Those are the folks that often have top of the line gaming PC's as well and go through the relentless upgrade cycle of PC hardware (though there is a market of people that get the PS3 in lieu of a gaming PC). That market is either shrinking or somewhat stagnate depending on what you read about it, and there are many reasons for this. I suspect that the people that get the PS3 and opt out of the endless gaming PC upgrade cycle will grow while the hard-core PC gamers will shrink, at least for the short-term.

The Wii, on the other hand, appeals to a different demographic altogether, one that appears to be growing.

Last I read, the PS2 is still more popular than the PS3 and the Xbox (only the Wii seems to have overtaken all of them for the time being). Part of the reason why the PS2 had such staying power was the library of games and the controls. I've seen a number of polls/articles that hold Sony's controllers in high regards. And I would agree with them that what I liked most about the PS2 was how easy the games were to play based on the ergonomics of the controllers, which is also why I love the Wii. It represents something new that the game-buying public hasn't seen before in a home console, and as long as the games take full advantage of the Wiimote, I would expect it to have staying power that rivals or even beats the PS2.

Don't get me wrong, the PS3 is a sweet machine, I'd even like to have one someday, but the Wii itself has given me reason to abandon the endless PC upgrade cycle that I spent nearly 10 years being a slave to and instead opt to run Linux on my home PC's and save most of my gaming for the Wii. I got tired of buggy software, endless patches, endless upgrades, being hooked into a Microsoft OS (especially with the garbage that is Windows Vista now) and I just wanted to go back to the time when the games were fun, regardless of the eye candy (Half Life, Diablo, Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six, Resident Evil 4, Tomb Raider, Aliens VS Predator 2 etc...).

The PS3 will keep the eye-candy addicts happy and it has a ton of decent games out or on deck, but I prefer the Wii myself (RE4 and Metroid Prime 3 on the Wii were both as good as any of my all-time favorite games on any platform).