Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Checking a gun's serial number with the state police

Can you call someone/somewhere to check to see if a gun is used or not? I am checking on a gun that was sold as NIB but it came with 2 different mags and the magazines don't look "new." Also, when I field stripped it, I thought I found fouling in the gun, but couldn't tell if it was just dirty grease/lube. The gun's test fired case dates to 2/07. I just want to make sure I (the wife) didn't get jipped at the shop.

Any ideas?

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Checking a gun's serial number with the state police

Not sure about having State Boys checking things... but nearly all manufacturers proof fire each and every gun. Some get cleaned, some dont.

A couple places in the country require you or the dealer to send in the sample casing for their ballistics lab to log.

As for the magazine, I've seen dealers throw in another spare to help sell a piece.

Its possible that it is used, possible that its just residue from the proofing.

(Bedford County)

I dont think the State Police will be of any help.

The only thing they check during a instant check is your background, and if the gun in question is on the hot list for being stolen.

As for the State Police having records of handgun sales...ask a State Trooper...and then listen to him talk his way out of any and all questions.

You won't get an answer period.

As stated... some companies dont do a good job of cleaning after test firing, and some magazines are used to test fire several guns before they finally find a home in a box next to a new gun.

If the gun was sold as new, looks new, and works fine...enjoy it and shoot the hell out of it. Most will have a good warranty, and it will look used in a matter of weeks.

(Luzerne County)

The PSP will not disclose that info (previously transfered).

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKMARK View Post
    The only thing they check during a instant check is your background, and if the gun in question is on the hot list for being stolen.
    Stolen gun check is not part of the PICS check process. The gun info (make/model/serial) is not even given to the system for the check.

I was curious since the PSP maintains a database of serial numbers/address/etc of the gun buyer.

Hokkmike Guest

No obvious wear I take it? And you got the original warranty and registration papers right? Could it be that he got it used but sold it as new?

(Pike County)

Humm, here is my take on it...

Once a firearm is sold from the dealer to someone it is now USED.. Even if the person says to have never have fired it, its still USED.

Think of it as a car, once the title is in a private owners name it is used. Even with 1 mile on the odometer, its used.

Snert..

PS. what did ya buy???

Quote Originally Posted by Snert View Post
    Humm, here is my take on it...

Once a firearm is sold from the dealer to someone it is now USED.. Even if the person says to have never have fired it, its still USED.

Think of it as a car, once the title is in a private owners name it is used. Even with 1 mile on the odometer, its used.

Snert..

PS. what did ya buy???
    I understand how the process works...I thought after checking things out it might have been sold before and the dealer, thinking how nice it was and how new it looked could sell it new.

The mechanism IS in place to see if your firearm was dare I say, "registered" in someone else's name. Just because you want to know is NOT a valid reason for a LEO to run the serial number. I don't care what the PSP says, it IS a registration. They have a list of all handguns that were transfered from FFL to buyer or legal person to person that took place at an FFL or Sheriff since what .....199....I forget right now. On CLEAN/NCIC one can enter a persons name and DOB and see everything that has EVER been transfered. I for example once owned a Glock 27. I sold it to a gun shop. If I went and searched my name and DOB, that GLock would show up as being purchased in 1997 even though I no longer have it. Those are the facts. Troopers can try to skirt this all the want, although I have never met one that denies that this REGISTRATION exists. It is a registration hands down.
    Jules

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast