Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default outing with my New snubby...

And I have mixed feeling about it.

While I like how its easily fit in my pocket(which is reason why I bought it), Its really not fun gun to shoot.
    I shot 38sp, and it felt just like when I shoot .357Mag out of my K framed S&W. Meaning it barks a lot. After shooting 25 or so rounds, my hand was hurting.
    I loaded .357Magnum, and shot 10rds(to see how accurate it), and I was pretty much done.

I guess It does what it was designed for. But fun weekend plinker, its not.
    Is accuracy I got(see pic) is about what I can expect from 2" snubby from 10yds?
    Didn't even bother with any distance over 10yds...
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Northampton County)

Default Re: outing with my New snubby...

I bought a S&W 442 for the same reason and have exactly the same feelings about it. But.. I didn't expect it to be a fun gun to shoot.
    I had a K frame at one point and that was on the edge of fun to shoot, so I knew the J frame would only have one use... a small frame revolver that disappears into a pocket when I couldn't or didn't want to carry my XD or 1911.

First day out with it I put 10 "practice" rounds through and then 10 +p Corbons. At 10 yds I was in the 10 ring and thats all I needed to know.

I haven't shot it since.

(Allegheny County)

I thinks that's just fine for 30 feet.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Jefferson County)

That grouping is perfectly acceptable for defensive purposes. Seeing how most defensive shoots short of a battlefield are within 30ft - those 9(+) holes I count are center of mass. Good job.

I would not be unhappy. The gun is not supposed to be a "fun shooter". It is lightweight, and made to hit center mass at a defensive distance. I just got a Smith 642 for Christmas. I expect to shoot a box of light 38s through it this week, and a few chambers with some good +P loads. It will make an appearance every now and again to shoot some light loads, but for the most part, it will ride in a holster on my person. I can target shoot with some others. It was not meant to be a weekend shooter.
    Jules

(Centre County)

I shot about the same with 38special.
    SO I guess if that was some gun slingin thug's belly, I servived the ordeal. which is what it was designed to do.
    And I'm sure if I shot it with SA, it would be bit more tighter.

It was just nota fun to shoot at all..

I think its got alot to do with cheap hard rubber grip. If i can find something thats softer, It may be slightly more doable. I originally thought about getting nice wood grip for it, but no way I want sold wood grip for this gun.

But interesting part was when I was shooting .357Magnum, in slightly getting darker outside, muzzle blast with .357magnum was nothing short of spectaculer!! It was like I had some hand cannon with me

If .357 would not take the thug out, blinding muzzle blast and 3ft fireball would surely scare off any thugs trying to attack me!
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

Quote Originally Posted by DaveM55 View Post
    I thinks that's just fine for 30 feet.
    I'm with Dave on this!
    mrwildroot
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post
    I shot about the same with 38special.
    SO I guess if that was some gun slingin thug's belly, I servived the ordeal. which is what it was designed to do.
    And I'm sure if I shot it with SA, it would be bit more tighter.

It was just nota fun to shoot at all..

I think its got alot to do with cheap hard rubber grip. If i can find something thats softer, It may be slightly more doable. I originally thought about getting nice wood grip for it, but no way I want sold wood grip for this gun.

But interesting part was when I was shooting .357Magnum, in slightly getting darker outside, muzzle blast with .357magnum was nothing short of spectaculer!! It was like I had some hand cannon with me

If .357 would not take the thug out, blinding muzzle blast and 3ft fireball would surely scare off any thugs trying to attack me!
    Scare them off or BBQ them.. lol

I had some 125gr JHP loads for my Colt Python that launched at about 1950fps out the 8" barrel. Yeah, over 1000ftlb energy out of a 357mag - 44mag territory ...used to catch grass on fire shooting prone when sneaking up on groundhog. lol

(Allegheny County)

Group isn't bad. I think the SP101 is about the only 357 snub that could be fun to shoot but it can be heavy for some.

Practice with your snub as much as you can, also try adjusting your grip a little higher or lower and let you wrist break a little. It will take some of the heat off your shot and your hand won't hurt so much. After a few months i was amazed how accurate I could be with my snub and how much more accurately I shot other guns as well. If you can get good enough to do it with a snub you can drill it with nearly anything else.

(Erie County)

If you haven't already try some of the .38's made just for the cowboy action crowd. They are about as light as they get unless you reload.

Out of Vaqueros they literally have no recoil at all. Zero muzzle lift is the goal for those shoots. While I've never used them in an ultra light I do let my wife shoot them out of my 2.5 inch Rossi and she loves them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast