Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking Lehigh Valley Hospital-Muhlenberg

No discernible signs prohibiting firearms, so when I took my friend into emergency today, I figured I would leave my OC Glock on my hip.

Spent about four hours there with all sorts of interactions with the doctors and staff and never a comment was made.

God, I love PA!
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    There is a place like that, but William Penn made sure to put a river between us and New Jersey, to keep out those hoplophobic riffraff.
    There is NO evidence of widespread journalistic integrity.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Lehigh Valley Hospital-Muhlenberg

I do a lot of work for Lehigh Valley Hospital. I can tell you every building they own has signs stating no firearms or weapons of any kind.

Lehigh Valley Hospital is no guns.

After a discussion with the Public Safety administrator one day, he advised that due to the fact that they have mental health in patient facilities they are covered under Title 18, Chapter 51, Subsection 5122.

I would point out that due to medical reasons, I was in the emergency room recently carrying my Glock. I advised them of the fact and they do have facilities for locking and storing firearms. They provided a receipt once the firearm was placed in a locked box. The biggest problem was the one guy could not remember the combination to the safe and they had to get the supervisor.

All in all that part of the experience as done in a professional manner.

(Indiana County)

After a discussion with the Public Safety administrator one day, he advised that due to the fact that they have mental health in patient facilities they are covered under Title 18, Chapter 51, Subsection 5122.
    The Public Safety Administrator may be stretching the use of 18 Pa. C.S. § 5122, Weapons or implements for escape, just a wee bit.

Specifically, a person commits a misdemeanor of the first degree if he unlawfully introduces within a mental hospital any weapon, tool, implement, or other thing which may be used for escape.

The mere presence of in-patient facilities does not make the entire hospital a mental hospital. The secured facility part, yes, but not everything else.

http://law.onecle.com/pennsylvania/c...1.022.000.html

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by tsor39 View Post
    Lehigh Valley Hospital is no guns.

I would point out that due to medical reasons, I was in the emergency room recently carrying my Glock. I advised them of the fact and they do have facilities for locking and storing firearms. They provided a receipt once the firearm was placed in a locked box. The biggest problem was the one guy could not remember the combination to the safe and they had to get the supervisor.

All in all that part of the experience as done in a professional manner.
    I believe that it only applies if: the mental health facilities are locked units & only to the units themselves. This may not be true from facilties who only provide mental heath care: such as polyclinic in Harrisburg.

However I sent a message to the knowledgeable people, to ensure they pop their head in.

Side note:

The next time you speak to your representative: express concern about the lack of proper treatment for the mentally retarded/handicapped (proper medical term is retarded). The states push to get them into group homes, regular nursing faculties in public not only endangers them, and subjects them to sub standard care, and puts the public at risk from people who generally have violent behaviors they can not control due to their limited mental capacity. Group homes never have the staff to manage. Likewise, the same is true about the removal of State run mental hospitals. Without them there are not beds available, and people who need in patient treatment are turned away every day. People who receive in patient treatment frequently are not treated long enough, leading to increased dangers both to themselves and the public.
    Last edited by PAMedic=F|A=; January 2nd, 2015 at 12:08 PM.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Jefferson County)

Whether or not 18.51.5122 applies here or not is immaterial. The hospital appears to be posted, so a minimum threshold is laid out.

For a general hospital I doubt 5122 applies to the whole building. It may apply to a ward or floor that specifically deals with mentally ill people though.

But, since the place is posted at the entrances, trespass becomes enforceable.

But to the hospital's merit, at least they provide lock boxes. They aren't required to by law, and most other private properties in PA don't provide them if they don't want guns.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

I was in as a patient, and therefore, I cannot say if the lock boxes are available to someone coming in to visit or bringing someone into the ER.

(Lehigh County)

I've been in and out of that place numerous times with my wife and mother and never saw a sign. Scheduled back early next week and will check it out closer.

A friend of mine had occasion to go to the Emergency Room during the past week and looked specifically for signs after I had talked with him. He found none.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    There is a place like that, but William Penn made sure to put a river between us and New Jersey, to keep out those hoplophobic riffraff.
    There is NO evidence of widespread journalistic integrity.

(Lehigh County)

I can report back that no signs were displayed. I went through the main entrance, but made a point to check out the ER. Even visited a doctor in the building next door and saw no signs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast