Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Unhappy Archbald Range Sunday May 1st

Went up to the range this afternoon and it is back to being a total mess again. The pistol range back stops are all blasted with shot gun pellets with shells all around and two back stops down on the ground destroyed. The shooting benches need to be fixed and or replaced. Give me the material and I will do it for free. It was good the first three weeks of April when the state made ( law abbiding) people get a permit to shoot at the range because the signs went up. The state said they needed the money for the upkeep of the ranges. So you have our money now do your part and fix and maintain and patrol, patrol, patrol, the range. sorry rant over.
    init1973

(Columbia County)

Default Re: Archbald Range Sunday May 1st

Quote Originally Posted by init1973 View Post
    Went up to the range this afternoon and it is back to being a total mess again. The pistol range back stops are all blasted with shot gun pellets with shells all around and two back stops down on the ground destroyed. The shooting benches need to be fixed and or replaced. Give me the material and I will do it for free. It was good the first three weeks of April when the state made ( law abbiding) people get a permit to shoot at the range because the signs went up. The state said they needed the money for the upkeep of the ranges. So you have our money now do your part and fix and maintain and patrol, patrol, patrol, the range. sorry rant over.
    init1973

Yes I know what you are talking about.I go to the one outside of Mifflinville and see shot shells too.I was out there about a week and a half ago and there 4 guys there shooting a .22 rifle on the pistol side of the range.

Then I took my son out yesterday and there was people there shooting from ii front of the table on the 10 yrd side.The guy was shooting either a 357 or a 44 and was hitting the upper 2x4.It was flying all over the place.What really bothered me was my son and I had to use the 25 yrd part,because there was no way I was gopnna shoot the 15 yrd part of the range for the could've been a tragedy in the works.

I agree they do need to patrol more often.And I too would be willing to volunteer to keep it up to par.Wonder if they have a program like that?

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by init1973 View Post
    init1973
    Thank the jerkoffs who ruin it for everyone.. Is it really that hard to clean up after yourself? Is it really that hard to NOT shoot out the support members, or the shooting benches for that matter? Is it really that hard to shoot a shotgun on the shotgun range, and NOT on the pistol range? Is it really that hard to NOT shoot the trash barrels? Is it really that hard to go pull your targets off of the board when you're done? If the trashcan is full, is it really that hard to take your trash with you and throw it away at home?

It's a shame, because the Archbald range could be nice. It's at a decent location, being the only public place out there. But people are just complete idiots. I haven't been there in over a year, but every time I went, it was the same old story. Messy... a bunch of chodes shooting all over you have to watch your back.. and your front.... People have the support members all shot to crap, it's hard to even put a target on without pushing the thing over...

Sure, the PGC definitely needs to step up now and put their money where their mouth is (need to give them a little time though).. But if you truly want to place blame, put it on the guy next to you. Half of those people up there I wouldn't trust with a water gun, let alone a fully loaded mag in a weapon they've never shot.
    III%

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by NikeBauer21 View Post
    Thank the jerkoffs who ruin it for everyone.. Is it really that hard to clean up after yourself? Is it really that hard to NOT shoot out the support members, or the shooting benches for that matter? Is it really that hard to shoot a shotgun on the shotgun range, and NOT on the pistol range? Is it really that hard to NOT shoot the trash barrels? Is it really that hard to go pull your targets off of the board when you're done? If the trashcan is full, is it really that hard to take your trash with you and throw it away at home?

It's a shame, because the Archbald range could be nice. It's at a decent location, being the only public place out there. But people are just complete idiots. I haven't been there in over a year, but every time I went, it was the same old story. Messy... a bunch of chodes shooting all over you have to watch your back.. and your front.... People have the support members all shot to crap, it's hard to even put a target on without pushing the thing over...

Sure, the PGC definitely needs to step up now and put their money where their mouth is (need to give them a little time though).. But if you truly want to place blame, put it on the guy next to you. Half of those people up there I wouldn't trust with a water gun, let alone a fully loaded mag in a weapon they've never shot.
    The shotgun range their blows the only thing you can shoot is birds or if you want to bring a make shift target stand with you. So i could see why someone would want to use the pistol range because hey lots of people use shotguns as their self defense weapons. I agree that you shouldn't use buckshot on the backboard they should use slugs.

The shooting of the cans is wrong, i bought the can that's currently up there and i won't buy another because 2 days i bought it the lid was missing or shoot up and so was the can. It comes from boredom i'd imagine, shooting a target all day can get boring esp. if your standing in one postion.

I don't care about people leaving target on the board it does not matter really at all. It's gonna take what 100 sheets of paper to block a staple and I shoot at used targets when I want to run 50 through if i get a new gun or just want to bust some caps.

It's not anyones job to bring the trash home with them, their isn't a bag in there and if there was it would have bullet holes in it and probably bust. The game commish. has money to do empty the fucking thing and they don't. It took them at least 3 weeks to empty it once because people stepping on the garage to push it down to put more in and then it started to pile up.

How much fucking money do they need to maintain a range? Backboards is the biggest expense an what else? All the trash probably ends up in a dumpter. I can't think of any thing else.......they have the rules and shit printed but that's nearly a 1 time expense. The worst thing is that they pay people to maintain these ranges and then they bitch when they have to do some cleaning lol I pick up my stuff and will pick up empty ammo boxes around me along with my brass so i'm not some messy prick complaining.

Some game commish just got a sweet new office, truck or toy with all the scratch their pulling in.

(Luzerne County)

Shit, I was planning on taking a ride up there since I prefer that range over Suscon because of the pistol range. It has always been in pretty bad shape but it sounds like it is worse now.

Last time I was there I ran into a friend who was a retired Scranton cop. He was there with his family teaching them the finer aspects of shooting a revolver. He was really good. Suddenly six guys show up with semi auto rifles of various types, ARs, you name it and started blasting away at the pistol range. I happened to recognize one of them as a customer I see a lot in a local gun shop. I was like "What the Fuc_!" He laughed at me and kept right on blasting shit away.

Needless to say my friend and his family left immediately and I stood by illustrating my pissed off nature but it didn't phase them one bit.

There needs to be some sort of way to report a violator and have someone with authority respond. Would it be wrong to call the police and report these guys as being "reckless" with a firearm. If they are breaking range rules they are being reckless and endangering the lives of those there. I think this should be reason enough to call the local or state police since the game commission won't patrol the ranges.

Maybe if we get a cooler day with no rain I will try Sweet Valley. From Exeter I don't think it would be much further. I heard that is a nicer range with fewer jerk offs.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brudog View Post
    Suddenly six guys show up with semi auto rifles of various types, ARs, you name it and started blasting away at the pistol range. I happened to recognize one of them as a customer I see a lot in a local gun shop. I was like "What the Fuc_!" He laughed at me and kept right on blasting shit away.
    As has been stated before on this board, there is no distinction between handgun and rifle ranges in Archbald. ARs are allowed on the 25 yard "handgun" range as long as one maintains a proper firing line and does not load any more than 3 rounds in their magazine.

Honestly I don't see what the big deal is about ARs on the 25 yarders if the rules are followed. A .223 or 5.56 is less destructive than 9mm luger.

Of course, I've heard stories of people running into a PGC officer that doesn't know or care about the commissions own regulations and will give you a hard time about it, but that's another matter entirely.

(Lackawanna County)

I was up there not too long ago & theres Still shell casings everywhere!!
    I also saw bee-bee pellets on the grounds, embedded in one of the cheap wooden target boards & all over the parking lot! prolly kids, but adults can be Jack A$$'s too! was it Ever nice up there? I've been there only a handful of times and its always in bad shape.

(Luzerne County)

The issue they have now is that since they are now charging for a permit or hunting license to use the range they have now taken on the responsibility of keeping it up. Once you create a requirement you now have to deliver a service.

Now we have a right to complain. I say flood the Game Commission with complaints.

First it needs to be maintained and secondly it needs to be patrolled to keep the A-Holes from blowing it apart.

A previous poster said there is no distinction between the rifle and pistol ranges, I beg to differ. There is a freakin' sign that says "Handgun Rage" right on the left of the side mound as you approach the entrance to the Handgun Range. People just can't or don't read or care.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brudog View Post
    The issue they have now is that since they are now charging for a permit or hunting license to use the range they have now taken on the responsibility of keeping it up. Once you create a requirement you now have to deliver a service.

Now we have a right to complain. I say flood the Game Commission with complaints.

First it needs to be maintained and secondly it needs to be patrolled to keep the A-Holes from blowing it apart.

A previous poster said there is no distinction between the rifle and pistol ranges, I beg to differ. There is a freakin' sign that says "Handgun Rage" right on the left of the side mound as you approach the entrance to the Handgun Range. People just can't or don't read or care.
    I haven't been up there in a few weeks, so if there is, it's brand new. Trust me, I've read all the signs, and if its there, its new.

(Luzerne County)

Wow! Maybe someone ripped it down. It used to be at the beginning of the mound that formed the side of the pistol range down near wear you park.

Sounds like the whole range might be going to hell.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast