Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default Locating feral hogs.

Now that the restriction is lifted on the the wild hogs of PA, myself along with three of my hunting buddies are trying to locate them. My friend has a camp in Bedford Co. about 30 min. from Rainsburg. We have been researching and trying to find out where the pigs are hanging out but have not been having much luck. We heard that the pigs have been pushed deep into the game lands near Rainsburg but we'd like some first hand experience if we could get it. If anyone knows anything about their whereabouts please help us out either by posting here or by privte message. Thanks so much for any info given. Once we get information and permission(if they are on private land), those who have helped us are more than welcome to join us when we hunt them. Thanks again.

(Washington County)

Default Re: Locating feral hogs.

Anyone? I need some help. PLEASE.

(Jefferson County)

The restrictions aren't entirely lifted. You can only shoot them incidental to hunting another lawful animal. ....in other words: you have to be legally hunting a critter in it's lawful season, with a device legal for that critter, to be able to shoot a feral hog that you see. Direct hunting of feral hogs isn't allowed, only incidental shooting of them is.

Look for fields that look like they have been tore up as if cattle were on them, but obviously lacking the cows. Especially look along the edges of the fields, near creeks where vegetation is thicker and stays green.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lebanon County)

Link to the PAGC Executive Letter in PDF format.

file:///C:/DOCUME~1/JIM~1.PAV/LOCALS~1/Temp/executive_letter.pdf

I'm not proficient in reading legalese and I don't have time to digest as thoroughly as knight0334 and I have a lot of faith in what he posts, but it looks like anyone legally licensed may take an unlimited number with certain restrictions, and if one of those restrictions is actively and legally hunting another critter, see the link below to seasons and bag limits, (I like to hunt woodchucks).
    There are additional restrictions that apply to trapping of feral swine.

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=621618&mode=2

WOODCHUCKS (GROUNDHOGS): No closed season, except on Sundays, and during the antlered and antlerless deer seasons. No limit.

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=576240&mode=2

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    The restrictions aren't entirely lifted. You can only shoot them incidental to hunting another lawful animal. ....in other words: you have to be legally hunting a critter in it's lawful season, with a device legal for that critter, to be able to shoot a feral hog that you see. Direct hunting of feral hogs isn't allowed, only incidental shooting of them is.
    Do you have a citation for the incidental requirement? I keep reading that on here, but that's not the way I read the executive order. I've read through all of the published information on feral swine on the PGC website, and the word "incidental" is only mentioned twice (I think). Neither of them in an official regulation. What I comprehend from the information on the PGC website is that when hunting feral swine, you need to be legal for whatever is in season, but that you can be targeting the hogs. I could be wrong, but that's the way I understand it. Maybe our local WCO could weigh in also.

I can think of a few bars in Scranton where you'd see some feral hogs......Just kidding. No I'm not. I'd call the divisional PGC offices to see what they've heard.(Sightings, farmer complaints, etc.) Hope those nasty bastards don't start swimming across the Delaware, or I'm telling Gov. Christie we need to have open season on em'. I'd like to see what the nambypamby urban environazis would have to say about that!!!
    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor-2009,classes available.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by jerseytactical View Post
    I'd like to see what the nambypamby urban environazis would have to say about that!!!
    You've got way worse problems already than wild hogs if you have nambypamby urbanites making the rules for you.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Washington County)

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=621618&mode=2

Go get them, only restriction is if the PGC or Dept of Ag is in the process of eradicationg them in an area. Call your regional office and ask.

Link has a ton of info.
    Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion, without the discomfort of thought.

John F Kennedy.

(Washington County)

Thanks a lot Mr. Joyce. I plan on calling the PGC south central region office. Do you happen to know which WCO I should talk to for the Rainsburg area?

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by jaron3 View Post
    Thanks a lot Mr. Joyce. I plan on calling the PGC south central region office. Do you happen to know which WCO I should talk to for the Rainsburg area?
    Been a long time since I been in the southcentral, not sure who is there now just tell the dispatcher what county and they will put you in contact with the proper WCO, and please call me Rich, Mr. Joyce is my dad...lol
    Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion, without the discomfort of thought.

John F Kennedy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast