Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default .22: Not Which One, But Whether or Not to Buy One

Contrary to the sound advice I received when I first started shooting, I never started with a .22. My first pistol was a 9mm. Now, after buying/selling/trading quite an insane number of pistols and revolvers, I've still never picked up a .22. I've decided that if I do so, it'll be a Ruger MKIII. The question is: will it be likely to benefit me (aside from cheap shooting, which itself is a good thing), or provide any real enjoyment, having always fired larger caliber guns? Have any of you been in the same situation? If so, did you find getting a .22 to be a good/rewarding move, or were you disappointed?
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: .22: Not Which One, But Whether or Not to Buy One

I say get it.... Some of my greatest memories are of the family having a little BBQ and doing a little plinking.

You can shoot it alll day for less than $20.00!!!! What more can you ask for???
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Franklin County)

I highly recommend a .22 pistol. I have on load a Walter P22 from a friend and just love it. Outside of the fact that ammo is as cheap as you can get, it really allows you to work on your fundamentals with a very controllable handgun. And you won't mind wasting ammo. Not to mention it's easier on your hearing. The other gun I'm borrowing from my father-in-law is a High Standard Double 9. It's a double action revolver that has .22 and .22mag cylinders that can be swapped out. I'm in love with it. I keep offering to buy it and he keeps resisting...
    So yes, get a .22 pistol. I know that that's the first pistol my daughter will learn to shoot when she's old enough.
    If zombies start chasing us, I'm going to trip you.

(Montgomery County)

My gun history is pretty similar. I just bought a MKIII several weeks ago and really like it. The mag holds ten and shoots flawlessly. Shooting well is always fun regardless of caliber. When I get together with the old cohorts for a mountain trip, it's the pellet rifles that come out, when hanging out near the cabin.

(Bucks County)

It never hurts to add another one to the collection. More regret comes from not buying than from buying... I like having a .22 for new shooters. Easy way to get them into the sport.
    Look to the One Who is wearing what should have been your scars...

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ReconLdr View Post
    I say get it.... Some of my greatest memories are of the family having a little BBQ and doing a little plinking.

You can shoot it alll day for less than $20.00!!!! What more can you ask for???
    Thanks. Believe me, if I could legally (and safely) do so down here in Horsham, I'd have bought on a long time ago. Any shooting I do, needs to be at a range. Still, yes: Shooting all day "on the cheap" does sound good.
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

I agree with the others everybody needs a 22LR pistol and get a rifle too. The 22LR can do almost anything that a center fire can with the right aim or direct POI now it may not be legal on large game. But years ago in the slaughter house or on the farm the 22LR was used to dispatch Cows and Hogs to prepare them for slaughter. Some poachers on there land or just because they need the meat use to use the round to get deer.

Of course some survivalist use it to punch holes in leather and to mend tents and it was also used to fill stew pots for meals. Then its the most least expensive to shoot making the rabbits and squirrels easy picking if they stand still for just a moment. The 22LR is got to have round in your arsenal imho.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ishoot4fun View Post
    I highly recommend a .22 pistol. I have on load a Walter P22 from a friend and just love it. Outside of the fact that ammo is as cheap as you can get, it really allows you to work on your fundamentals with a very controllable handgun.
    I considered the P22, but the reviews seem to be a bit less consistently positive, than those on the Ruger MKIII. Nice looking gun though.

Quote Originally Posted by ishoot4fun View Post
    And you won't mind wasting ammo. Not to mention it's easier on your hearing. The other gun I'm borrowing from my father-in-law is a High Standard Double 9. It's a double action revolver that has .22 and .22mag cylinders that can be swapped out. I'm in love with it. I keep offering to buy it and he keeps resisting...
    All good points. I fired a friend's Ruger Single Six, and it was great/easy to shoot. I'm more inclined to go with a SA pistol though.

Thanks for your thoughts!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ddefazio View Post
    It never hurts to add another one to the collection. More regret comes from not buying than from buying... I like having a .22 for new shooters. Easy way to get them into the sport.
    I like the way you think (re:regret)! True. Another gun is never a bad thing, and in fact, I know a new shooter (she's been out with us just once so far, but plans to go again) who would benefit from shooting a .22. I feel I'd be doing my civic duty by getting one. Thanks!

(Adams County)

I've got a Walther P22 5" barrel, and I can't even tell you how much fun it is to shoot. It's a great little pistol, and it helps with the fundamentals while being cheaper to shoot.

You can't go wrong with a .22 for helping to practice aiming, or just trying to make cute little designs in paper.

Go buy a .22 and take it out this weekend!!

camper
    It's the 2nd Amendment that protects all others

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast