Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default My job said No conversion barrels

I work as an armored truck driver/guard and presently carry a Glock 19. I recently purchased a Glock 29 knowing full well 10mm is not permitted at work. I bought a 40 conversion barrel for it to practice and also to qualify with it so I could carry it at work. Well our firearms guy shot down my plan because it is not a Glock barrel and he said aftermarket barrels are not reliable for a duty gun. Anybody had issues with conversion barrels? I don't reload if that matters. Barrel is a Lone Wolf but he never asked the brand.

(Berks County)

Default Re: My job said No conversion barrels

Regardless if they are reliable or not, if it's company policy, it's company policy. When I had a 40 cal Glock I used a 9mm LW barrel and never had any "issues". I've since switched all my Glocks to dedicated 9mm platforms.

(Fayette County)

Its probably an insurance issue.

You wouldn't believe the amount of insurance an armed security company pays and all of the precise rules they have to follow.

For instance the insurance company for your employer probably feels that if a "modified" gun didn't function properly and got you or your co workers hurt or someone from the public, they would be a raft of shit.

I doubt the armor singled you out. He's just following company code.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Blair County)

I had a lone wolf barrel for a glcok 20 and it sucked. It took 8 weeks to get. When it finally showed up I had two failure to feeds in the first mag and my groups were about 6" at 25 yards. This is out of a 6 inch barrel, stock barrel could make 3 inch groups. I sold the gun.

(Northampton County)

Failure to feed would worry me. But I am not worried about 3inch groups from what I have been told if I meet a BG outside the armored truck it will be up close and personal.

(Bucks County)

your job's policy is probably based on the fear of lawsuits because a barrel swap is considered modifying the firearm. suppose you're involved in an incident with the firearm, some lawyer will claim your weapon was made less safe or more dangerous due to the barrel being something other than factory. there are lots of misinformed gullible people that know nothing about firearms and are serving on juries that will automatically buy into some lawyers arguement resulting in your company, your company's insurance company and maybe even you paying out a settlement. for a duty weapon its best to leave it as is

(Perry County)

Sounds like you are asking the wrong question. What you should be asking is "do I want to lose my job because I want to carry X?"n I suspect you will answer no, then all other questions are pretty much meaningless. I worked for the Commonwealth for 30 years, so guess how I know that the rules don't have to make any sense.

(Chester County)

Conversion barrels should never be used for duty/carry.

How are you running .40S&W through frame cut for 10mm length cartridges? Are you loading .40S&W rounds in a 10mm magazine and wanting to carry it for duty?

Conversion barrels are a cheap band-aid that really shouldn't be used for anything more then infrequent range practice.

You shouldn't want a "converted" ANYTHING on a carry gun. An aftermarket barrel, properly fit can be a reliable option...that's not the same as trying to change the guts of the gun out (changing calibers).

With the money you're spending on 10mm ammo, why not sell the 10mm and get a good used 23/19 and have some piece of mind?

(Allegheny County)

one issue would be coming up with a list of approved barrels. so as others have said for cya purposes it is factory only.

Quote Originally Posted by jerryg View Post
    I work as an armored truck driver/guard and presently carry a Glock 19. I recently purchased a Glock 29 knowing full well 10mm is not permitted at work. I bought a 40 conversion barrel for it to practice and also to qualify with it so I could carry it at work. Well our firearms guy shot down my plan because it is not a Glock barrel and he said aftermarket barrels are not reliable for a duty gun. Anybody had issues with conversion barrels? I don't reload if that matters. Barrel is a Lone Wolf but he never asked the brand.
    Your firearms guy is an idiot. I have Lone Wolf barrels in all of my Glocks and have had zero issues with them and have never heard of anyone having an issue directly attributable to an aftermarket barrel. I guess the guy is trying to snow you with his (lack of) knowlege of guns.
    Telling you to follow company policy is one thing. Trying to ease his lack of knowlege and brain power by telling you something so full of bull is another altogether.
    Trust me folks. There is no liability issue with a conversion barrel. Period! I have been using Lone Wolf barrels for several years and do not hesitate to trust them on duty or off.
    Conversion barrels are NOT a cheap bandaid. They are professionally made and do not hurt your accuracy at all!! There have been multiples of thousands of Lone Wolf tubes sold and I don't think that would be the case if they weren't what they were said to be.
    I have been carrying and shooting Glocks since 1980. I have been carrying on duty since 1971. I'm not an expert but I do know a raft of BS when I see it being pushed into the water. And the answers you have gotten on this question are on board that raft.
    For frantic boast and foolish word, Thy mercy on Thy people, Lord!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast