Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Exclamation South Philadelphia Archery and Gun Club (SPAG) Warranty/Repair Warning

A few months ago I had to return my Smith and Wesson BG380 (pistol) for a warranty claim (problems with the CT buttons and an issue with the slide pin) and SPAG charged me about $35 to send it out for warranty.

Though I doth protest such a high fee, especially because I purchased the firearm there, I payed it for the sake of having my firearm sent repaired by S&W (this is my first time doing a warranty claim).

Today, I called S&W because I am having similar issues and they said they would give me a shipping label/instruction for free, and that the dealers usually shouldn't charge anything for a warranty claim because they get the postage for free too..

Shame shame on SPAG for this one. I have been a member at the club for a few years now, and have purchased most of the handguns I own at this club because of their normally friendly customer service (and the fact that it is closer to where I live than driving further away.) I like they guys in there, I like the range they run, but honestly? Charging me for a free warranty claim? That BG380 is the LAST time I buy a firearm from you.

And for what its worth, the S&W customer service rep was very courteous and quick to help me resolve the problem.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: South Philadelphia Archery and Gun Club (SPAG) Warranty/Repair Warning

I am not sure a shop sending a gun in is as cut and dry as them calling for a mailing label. Don't they have to log it into their books when thy took it from you? Then again when Smith sent it back to them?

I am not saying they should have charged you for the service. But that may be why thy did.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: South Philadelphia Archery and Gun Club (SPAG) Warranty/Repair Warning

While $35 does seem steep, even more so considering that you bought the firearm there; the shop still has to process and file paperwork to handle the warranty claim.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Philadelphia County)

Had a similar experience with another (much smaller) FFL, with a Beretta. I don't know what sort of papers had to be done, but that FFL charged me just for the shipping cost (I boxed it myself). I'd imagine there is a minimum service fee whenever you have service performed by gun shop and is likely the case at SPAG. Once the gun is transferred to you, all sort of legal/possession logistic may be involved, I think. I know the place well and would never figure them for the type who will milk customers for a few bucks.

The way to do it is actually calling S&W, from the get-go.

Al

PAG has a nice range and the ppl are nice there but their prices aren't so. they left a bad taste in my mouth when i 1st signed up. charged me tax and extra for using my credit card on their discounted vip membership. I m not sure if tax should be charged on a membership and i know extra charge for Credit card is just wrong. seems like only gun stores get away with it.

but if the price is listed and you agreed to pay then you can't really bitch.