Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Keep a .40 or replace with 9mm/.45 (or 10mm)?

This is more theoretical at this point...as I lost all my firearms in a tragic boating accident.

I like the HK P7 Series and the 1911s. I also tend to like the SIG Sauers more than most other pistols (having owned and/or shot many other makes over the years...including the Smith 4 digit series, HK USP, Beretta, Browning HP, Colts, etc.). If I build my collection back to where it used to be (before I went to school.... and sold most off)....I'd have a couple of 1911's and P220 as my .45s, some HK P7s (probably the 'PSP' type...yes, I know it's not really a PSP but for ease of explanation), a SIG P226 and/or P228 as the 9mms.

I'd be happy with those....but if I had a P229 (.40) and a USP .40 (both of which I had in the past)....

Would it be worth consolidating the calibers....i.e...dump the .40s to get another 9mm or .45 (or more correctly...just get a 9mm or .45 instead)?

The other issue is my like for the 10mm round....I'll wind up with a Glock 20 (again), and maybe another in 10mm (Smith, 1911, etc.).

My logic...the 9mm and .45 are 'older' rounds...the original specs were for lower pressure rounds. With the availability of +p in both rounds, it brings the round up to 'modern' standards...the .40S&W was designed with modern pressures (hence no '+P' .40 rounds).

So....what are the opinions here....?

Thanks!

AFARR

(York County)

Default Re: Keep a .40 or replace with 9mm/.45 (or 10mm)?

I've been handgunning for over 20+yrs & I'm a longtime 10mm guy, (full power loads). I have always have looked at the .40cal as a Band Aid. If I want a slower round, I'll choose a bigger one, hence my 45acp. I just won't own a 40S&W.

4 or 5yrs ago I wanted something a bit more "modern" shall we say. I did alot of reading/research and scored a wonderful 2 tone P229R in .357Sig.

I love this round!!! Amazing accuracy, power, penetration and reliable as all get out, being a necked cartridge.

To me it's the best SD handgun in my arsenal.

Good luck, no matter what you choose!!
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Fastball View Post
    4 or 5yrs ago I wanted something a bit more "modern" shall we say. I did alot of reading/research and scored a wonderful 2 tone P229R in .357Sig.

To me it's the best SD handgun in my arsenal.
    I recently had the privilege of putting some rounds through a friend's new 229R .357SIG, and wow, I couldn't agree with you more Fastball. Ever since, that gun and a .40 conversion has been at the top of my list to join my P239 SAS Gen2 for carrying purposes.

(Lancaster County)

Blonde, brunette, redhead, Italian, Asian... 9mm, .40, .45, .357... all different kinds of good. Unlike women, you can have one or more of each any time you want, so unless you're really just trying to simplify ammo supplies, why the urge to dump one? At any given point it's good to catch a deal on ammo to stock up, so having different calibers means you don't have to pass it up.
    Last edited by Yellowfin; April 28th, 2011 at 12:36 PM.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by AFARR View Post
    This is more theoretical at this point...as I lost all my firearms in a tragic boating accident.

I like the HK P7 Series and the 1911s. I also tend to like the SIG Sauers more than most other pistols (having owned and/or shot many other makes over the years...including the Smith 4 digit series, HK USP, Beretta, Browning HP, Colts, etc.). If I build my collection back to where it used to be (before I went to school.... and sold most off)....I'd have a couple of 1911's and P220 as my .45s, some HK P7s (probably the 'PSP' type...yes, I know it's not really a PSP but for ease of explanation), a SIG P226 and/or P228 as the 9mms.

I'd be happy with those....but if I had a P229 (.40) and a USP .40 (both of which I had in the past)....

Would it be worth consolidating the calibers....i.e...dump the .40s to get another 9mm or .45 (or more correctly...just get a 9mm or .45 instead)?

The other issue is my like for the 10mm round....I'll wind up with a Glock 20 (again), and maybe another in 10mm (Smith, 1911, etc.).

My logic...the 9mm and .45 are 'older' rounds...the original specs were for lower pressure rounds. With the availability of +p in both rounds, it brings the round up to 'modern' standards...the .40S&W was designed with modern pressures (hence no '+P' .40 rounds).

So....what are the opinions here....?

Thanks!

AFARR
    Don't get caught up in specs of the cartridges. The 9mm, 40S&W, and 45ACP are all on the same level of capabilities. Energy levels aren't much different between the three, nor are penetration results. Just pick one and be happy..

The regular 9mm works at a higher pressure than the 40S&W. The base 9mm spec is about 34K PSI(+P, carbine, "NATO", and +P+ are even higher), the 40S&W is 32.6K PSI. The reason why the 40S&W is lower is because it was a child cartridge to the 10mm(@37.5K PSI), which was deemed to be excessive in power and recoil.

All three, the 9mm, 40S&W, and 45acp have their pros and cons. Any of them are capable cartridges.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Everyone should have more than ONE handgun , and everyone should have
    some version of a .45acp.

You figure the rest out.

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Don't get caught up in specs of the cartridges. The 9mm, 40S&W, and 45ACP are all on the same level of capabilities. Energy levels aren't much different between the three, nor are penetration results. Just pick one and be happy..

All three, the 9mm, 40S&W, and 45acp have their pros and cons. Any of them are capable cartridges.
    Not that my opinion matters too much, but this could not have been better said. I don't own a .40 S&W handgun, but I have about all the others with an FN 5.7 on the way. I kind of enjoy shopping for ammo and the likes, it gives me something to do from time to time.

(Chester County)

What are you shooting at, and what will the cheaper calibers NOT do for you?

The only thing 9mm won't do for me that I'd like it to is make Major in USPSA (without going nuts).

Range use, training classes, self defense...good JHP's and cheap FMJ's, high capacity and low recoil all make 9mm a very attractive caliber.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Brother, I'd have one (or more) of EACH caliber, because you don't know what future ammunition supplies will be.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Montgomery County)

Lightbulb Re: Keep a .40 or replace with 9mm/.45 (or 10mm)?

Quote Originally Posted by AFARR View Post
    Yuk. The design aesthetics (or lack thereof) of the Glock 20 makes holding one feel like you're pointing a 2 x 4 piece of lumber.

Try a Tanfoglio Witness Match in 10mm.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast