Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: handgun permit

(Cambria County)

Default handgun permit

My girlfriend's aunt has a pistol she no longer wants and ask me if I wanted it. Would I have a problem getting a permit to carry it? What are the rules on that
    Last edited by raye608; April 28th, 2011 at 08:45 AM.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: handgun permit

Well.... your girlfriend/you may have broken the law unless you have a LTCF
    She can't "give" you a firearm. If you have a LTCF, she could "loan" you one.

With that aside...

Firearms in PA need to be transferred through an FFL or Sheriff. You can't just "give" one to someone unless:

parent to child
    grandparent to grandchild
    spouses

PA doesn't issue permits, PA issues an LTCF (License to Carry Firearms). LTCFs are not attached to firearms, they are attached to people. You don't need to get a license to purchase, but it does allow you to carry concealed, in a vehicle, during a state of emergency, etc...

Read the stickies at the top of the forums, before you take ownership of any firearm or try to carry it. Sounds like you need to learn up on the law.
    Last edited by BimmerJon; April 27th, 2011 at 11:02 PM.

Easy now, the venacular police on here will ding you for saying "permit", in PA it's a license. Anyway, it's YOU that is licensed, not the gun. Once your licensed you could carry whatever you choose, as long as it's otherwise legal. Example, you can't drive around with a loaded rifle or long gun, etc. Check out the Concealed Carry area of the forum, plenty of info there.

(Butler County)

Nothing about the gun you intend to carry when you apply for an LTCF.

As stated she can loan it to you. However how did she get the gun. An Aunt can't gift a gun to a neice, only transfered thru an FFL. The gun can only be gifted to her from a parent or grandparent. I wouldn't borrow it until this matter is clear.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by DonM55 View Post
    However how did she get the gun. An Aunt can't gift a gun to a neice, only transfered thru an FFL. The gun can only be gifted to her from a parent or grandparent.
    That is true as well, but there are bigger, more immediate issues with the OP:

Quote Originally Posted by DonM55 View Post
    As stated she can loan it to you. I wouldn't borrow it until this matter is clear.

Quote Originally Posted by raye608 View Post
    My girlfriend gave me a pistol that her aunt owned years ago. Would I have a problem getting a permit to carry it? What are the rules on that
    Sounds like he doesn't have a LTCF yet, which means he is illegally in possession of a firearm. I think the girlfriend would actually be the one in trouble since she gave it to him, but he doesn't seem to be in a good spot either.

(Cambria County)

I dont acually have the gun in my possession yet. Her aunt lives out of town but in Pa and hasnt come here yet. She bought the gun in 1965 here in Pa. never been fired. I understand the LTCF but everyone is saying if I had the gun it would be illegal I thought the law says that you dont need a license to posses a handgun in you home, and doesnt need to be registered as long as it stay there- no? So in order for me to legally take possesion of the gun, what do I need to do? Also, the LTCF is for carrying concealed, what about just to go target shooting with it?

(Venango County)

I dont acually have the gun in my possession yet. Her aunt lives out of town but in Pa and hasnt come here yet. She bought the gun in 1965 here in Pa. never been fired. I understand the LTCF but everyone is saying if I had the gun it would be illegal I thought the law says that you dont need a license to posses a handgun in you home, and doesnt need to be registered as long as it stay there- no? So in order for me to legally take possesion of the gun, what do I need to do? Also, the LTCF is for carrying concealed, what about just to go target shooting with it?
    To LEGALLY take the gun you would have to have it transfered through FFL or the sheriff, I.E. you and your gf's aunt would have to go to the FFL or sheriff together.
    You are correct in stating that you do not need a license to posses a handgun in PA but since YOU do not own it, the firearm would be illegally in your possession. You are also correct that you do not have to register the gun (in PA it is actually illegal for them to require you to register the gun) but they can do a check on the serial to see who owns the gun.

(Delaware County)

You don't need a LTCF at all in order to purchase/possess a firearm, in or out of your house.

In PA, in order to buy or sell a firearm, it needs to be transferred by an FFL or Sheriff. You cant just sell or give a firearm to someone byassing the above unless it is a transfer between : parent/child, grandparent/grandchild, spouse.

You need to go to an FFL and have it transferred to you from the aunt.

An LTCF, does allow you to carry concealed, but that is not it's sole purpose. It allows you to do many things like transport it in a vehicle.

If you don't get your LTCF, you can legally take it to/from the range, but it must be unloaded and you have to go DIRECTLY to/from the range.

(York County)

In this case, that is correct, though I should point out that a transfer is only required when selling a handgun, you can just sell/give a long gun to someone without involving a FFL. As far as I know, the FFL doesn't keep a record of the seller in a private transaction, though I could be wrong, I'd just have your girlfriend or her aunt go to an FFL, transfer it to you, and keep your mouth shut.

Quote Originally Posted by FCastle88 View Post
    In this case, that is correct, though I should point out that a transfer is only required when selling a handgun, you can just sell/give a long gun to someone without involving a FFL. As far as I know, the FFL doesn't keep a record of the seller in a private transaction, though I could be wrong, I'd just have your girlfriend or her aunt go to an FFL, transfer it to you, and keep your mouth shut.
    I'd have the aunt go. Though the chance of being caught are very slim, it's safer for the aunt to do it since she is the legal owner. Transferring to her niece is illegal, no matter how short of a time she has it.
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast