Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Ever feel awkward while carrying?

So, my wife and I decided to walk to Rita's the other night and get some frozen goodness. And when we arrived, the place was SWAMPED with little kids and their parents. The WHOLE time we were there I felt incredibly self conscious about the g23 on my hip that "Might" print in front of them... To the point where I just wanted to leave. I guess I was just worried about some parent being smart enough to notice it and pull the whole "do you really feel the need to have a gun here?"

Anyone else ever feel uncomfortable carrying in a situation like that or something similar? Ever been confronted?

Just found it odd, usually I don't even think twice about it in other settings.

(Centre County)

Default Re: Ever feel awkward while carrying?

I'm new to CC and just reading your story made me sweat I'm hoping to take babysteps.

So to answer your question, yeah, I'm always feeling awkward at this point.

(Allegheny County)

Not even OC and you felt that way!?

When I first started carrying, yes.

Now I barely think about it when OC - don't think about it all when CC.
    FNX-9 Two-tone

(Fayette County)

To me that feeling is strange.

You may think you're the only one around you carrying, but the reality of it is A LOT of people carry.
    And how often in your daily routine do you see someone "print"?

Id say 99.999% of the public arent scanning each and every person looking to see if they have a concealed handgun.

And when they do see a calm and respectable person in the public carrying a gun, most of them just assume that person is a LEO of some kind.

Just my 2¢
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

I'd feel very self conscious carrying a G23 if my screen name was 45_ACP_4_ME. Seriously though...

When I first started carrying many years ago, I felt a little self conscious. When I first started carrying openly several years ago, I again felt self conscious. But anymore, just about anywhere I go, it doesn't bother me. I have had many encounters with people from all walks of life, and only two or three have been negative. I am not doing anything illegal or dangerous (at least, in carrying) so I don't worry about it. If someone gets in my face, I already have several preplanned responses ready for them, from very polite, to fairly gruff.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by falcn View Post
    Not even OC and you felt that way!?

When I first started carrying, yes.

Now I barely think about it when OC - don't think about it all when CC.
    Same for me. I really started carrying in March, but rarely. I CC my Bodyguard.380 IWB everyday and don't think about it at all. Still have a little nervousness sometimes when OC my Beretta 84bb. I'm amazed at how little people even notice or seem to care. Only seen a few looks OCing and nothing CC.

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveyC View Post
    Same for me. I really started carrying in March, but rarely. I CC my Bodyguard.380 IWB everyday and don't think about it at all. Still have a little nervousness sometimes when OC my Beretta 84bb. I'm amazed at how little people even notice or seem to care. Only seen a few looks OCing and nothing CC.
    lol

Reminds me of when living in Wyoming.

My apartment was in an area with a lot of University of WY students and often I would have to park down the street becuase of how crowded the streets would get due to limited parking.

When going to the range (which was every other day) I would often have my AR-15 or AK slung over my shoulder with a loaded magazine in it walking down main street.

Nobody gave a damn.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Montgomery County)

I used to feel that way too, but now I dont feel that way at all, not even when OC'ing. The only time I feel uncofmrtable when carrying is in the jurisdiction of the PPD.

It's most important that you're carrying with that many potential victims around you. If nobody else is carrying, at least you are!

(Indiana County)

I actually feel more awkward now when not carrying it. It just takes getting used to I guess.

(Philadelphia County)

The only two times I have been made it was quite pleasant. My shirt had come up over my gun as I got out of the car or bent down to pick something up at a store. Each time a woman behind me tapped me on the shoulder and said "Excuse me, but you may want to fix your shirt."

They didn't seem scared or tell it to me rudely, but I'm to the point where it's too much to worry about it all the time. If someone sees it in that situation, who cares? You aren't breaking any laws.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast