Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lebanon County)

Default any other TOK-ers here?

$160 for pistol
    $150 for 1200 rds of ammo

owning an eastern european pistol than will whizz through 1/4" plate like butter= priceless.
    Last edited by brian; September 26th, 2012 at 05:27 PM.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: any other TOK-ers here?

Carry mine daily. I got some decent wooden grip panels and a better firing pin for it from Makarov.com. I'm working on collecting holsters and extra mags for it now. I'd like to pick up one of those 9mm barrels while they are around.

(Dauphin County)

Got a 52. My first pistol actually. I need more ammo for it! I bought an aftermarket mag that works perfectly. It is fairly comfortable to shoot, lots of hope to that round! Last time I was shooting it the rear sight began to slide out, anyone know if that is a common problem?

Here is mine with his younger brother.

(Allegheny County)

Sort of. I always wanted to get a Tok, but time and money did not allow. But, I have a C96 which can use the lower powered Tok ammo. Here is a picture I posted. It is in good condition, all original parts.
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/gun-pictu...html#post30287

It is very hard to get true .30 Mauser ammo so I would load up on the Tokorav ammo at gun shows and then chronograph the ammo using a Tok barrel I had made for a 1911 to see if it was safe. If not I just pull the bullet and reload with a light charge using Reddot powder. I also learned to reload the Berdan primers, not easy.

When I shoot the hotter stuff in the 1911 it really does a job on steel plates.

(Lebanon County)

They are fun to shoot, and reliable too.

Jared, here's your 9mm barrel for the CZ52, it's in stock now for $59.99 plus shipping:
    http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/C...cessories.html
    (I bought 2 of them).

And here's some 7.62X25 ammo:
    http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/copy_of_7_62x25.html
    (I bought a can of this, but I haven't opened it yet so I can't give a report on it).

The CZ82 is another sweet shootin', very reliable, and not too expensive pistol.
    (The ammo is kind of expensive though).

Last edited by mauser; November 26th, 2007 at 10:24 AM. Reason: ETA ammo link

TT-33's count?

Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(Bucks County)

Talking Re: any other TOK-ers here?

I was just looking at these on GB. I think for $170-300 you can't go wrong and plenty of info online on how to change the FIRING PIN and such. I miss my IJ-70AH Makarov (Hi-Cap 12rnder) anyway, so this would be good therapy for me.

I agree that it would probably be an INTERESTING carry piece.

Picture a badguy holding you up and you pull out this WAR-horse. He'd laugh saying OHHHH a big 25, oooooh I'm so scared. BAM, lights out and then some.

Ok. I know not very PC, but its the new year people.

I read S&B ammo ran HOT. Like 1500fps. Zing, POW, BAM (like old Batman shows)
    Al Zeller

Quote Originally Posted by alzeller View Post
    I was just looking at these on GB. I think for $170-300 you can't go wrong and plenty of info online on how to change the FIRING PIN and such. ... I read S&B ammo ran HOT. Like 1500fps. Zing, POW, BAM (like old Batman shows)
    If you're referring to the TT-33 pistols, look again. They're just slightly south of $300 from most sources. I had a CZ-52, it was huge compared to garden variety TT-33, and both fire the same round. TTs are very slim and are much more concealable. While an older design, the TT-33 doesn't seem to have any of the issues* some of the CZ-52 owners are reporting.

*Broken firing pins from dry-firing and occasional catastrophic chamber failures. (more)
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by alzeller View Post

I read S&B ammo ran HOT. Like 1500fps. Zing, POW, BAM (like old Batman shows)
    I saw your post just before I went to the range today. I was going to take my chrono anyhow, so I grabbed a CZ52 and some S&B ammo.

I fired 14 rounds to see what velocity they were pushing. most were between 1485 FPS - 1515FPS. The slowest was 1473, the fastest clocked at 1558.

Quote Originally Posted by PA Rifleman View Post
    If you're referring to the TT-33 pistols, look again. They're just slightly south of $300 from most sources. I had a CZ-52, it was huge compared to garden variety TT-33, and both fire the same round. TTs are very slim and are much more concealable. While an older design, the TT-33 doesn't seem to have any of the issues* some of the CZ-52 owners are reporting.

*Broken firing pins from dry-firing and occasional catastrophic chamber failures. (more)
    I've been looking at the TT-33 and trying to decide whether or not to get one.
    Do you own, or have you owned one or more of these guns? If yes, what is your honest opinion of is as far as reliability and functionality?
    So far I haven't had any issues with any of my CZ52s, but I really haven't fed a massive amount of ammo through any of them. I don't dry fire them either, but I know of a source to get a firing pin repaired (and upgraded to a more solid design) for a real reasonable price. Here's a link to his home page. He's in Tyrone Pa.
    http://www.gswagner.com/
    Here's a link to instructions to do it yourself if you have the mechanical ability and access to the proper tools.
    http://www.gswagner.com/cz52/cz52pin.html

I've never actually dealt with this person, but was referred to his site by someone who speaks very highly of him.

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PA Rifleman View Post

I've been looking at the TT-33 and trying to decide whether or not to get one.
    Do you own, or have you owned one or more of these guns? If yes, what is your honest opinion of is as far as reliability and functionality?
    If you scroll down a few posts, you'll see my oldest TT-33, dated 1941. It's not a recent import, so it isn't import-compliant like the guns we see on the market today. It appears to be a GI bring-back. Since TTs were used from W.W.II to almost present day, it could have been used in any number of wars.

Reliability, I can't recall any issues except when I fed 9mm hollowpoints into the 1941 dated TT. I was trying a 9mm barrel, it worked fine except with Winchester Silvertips. 9mm fed as easily as 7.62mm. When kept in the original 7.62mmx25 size, it never failed to feed, fire or eject. Between all the TTs I've had over the years, I can't even begin to estimate the number of 7.62mmx25 rounds I've fired. I've fired about 750-1000 rounds in the past two months out of TTs alone, and to my amazement I can actually hit things with them.

While not an issue anymore, the Chinese TTs (Type 54) were coming into the US with shortened firing pins which caused a light strike with a lot of Type 54s. Unfortunately this gave some of them a bad name. Replacing the firing pin fixes this

The TT-33s on the market today have a much nicer finish, but also have a safety added. I've become accustomed to the lack of a safety, so I chafe when I see one added. In practice, it doesn't hurt. Right now I'm down to three TT-33s, the '41 Russian (pictured below), a '52 Polish and a newer Romanian. The Polish TT has matured value-wise, so I plan to sell it in the next few weeks or month.

As far as whether you'll like one or not, I can't say. the Russian and Polish TTs have the best fit & finish, but in comparison to your CZ-52 you might feel the TT is crude in comparison. The first detail you'll notice is the almost perpendicular grip angle, which takes a little time for acclimation. The sights are a little small, and the rear sight appears to sit disproportionately high. This is a result of the interior barrel positioning and geometry.

Best advice I can give you is try one out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast