Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Cambria County)

Default First Time I Felt Wierd Carrying

I have decided that I will carry a firearm with me all the time. Before, I carried 90% of the time. There were just "times and places" that it felt kind of "weird" putting the pistol on to go to. Now, I am trying to carry 100% of the time.

Today was one of those times. I was headed to a good friends funeral. My buddies wife passed away suddenly of massive heart attack at the age of 55. I fought with myself while getting dressed if I was going to take a firearm with me or not. It just felt weird for some reason. I put on the IWB and took it off. I went and got the 38 and pocket holster. It just seemed to print to much in my nice dress pants. I almost walked out the door unarmed.

But then I got the IWB and the 9mm and went into the bathroom, put them on, tucked the shirt, and checked for printing. It looked good, and I threw my jacket on and headed out the door.

I kept my jacket on at the funeral home. Thinking someone would see. I was a bit paranoid I guess. Of course there was lots of hugging to contend with at a funeral. I just waited for someone to feel the pistol and ask what it was. But no one did. We went to eat together afterwords, and I decided that I was being stupid. I took the jacket off and walked all around talking to everyone. No one noticed.

I must admit, I felt weird carrying at a funeral. But on the way home the betterhalf and I were talking about something, and she says, "Well you got your pistol on you don't you?" This made me realize that she didn't think it was to weird. And second, that if she had to ask, the concealment side must have worked well too.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Delaware County)

Default Re: First Time I Felt Wierd Carrying

i was there once, it was a friends daughters christening. They come from a family of wannabe yuppies, the dinner after was at a college. I carried, felt wierd all night especially when they introduced me to their cousin, he had a 1% patch on his dress shirt. After it was over noon noticed, and a few weeks later me and him had a conversation about concealment, and how hard is it, i told him i was carryign a g26 at the party and he never knew. If you can get comfortable with it noone notices, adn if they do most think cell phone, PDA, pager.

(Pike County)

If you like the pocket holster carry that won't print, try a Kel-tec P3AT. They are so thin, 7/8ths of an inch, and only 8 1/2 oz. empty. It is half the width of my S&W 442. Sometimes it is my primary, sometimes my BUG, but it is a constant companion. When I carry it as a primary, my NAA .22 mag mini revolver becomes the BUG. I also try to carry all the time, but as I work in the Peoples Republic of NJ that is not possible for me.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Chevmeister View Post
    If you can get comfortable with it noone notices, adn if they do most think cell phone, PDA, pager.

edited by me.....I have my reasons....

thanks
    Last edited by chesire17201; January 28th, 2009 at 10:13 AM.

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

With everything that has been happening lately, it's really important to carry all the time. I also think it's o.k. to carry a smaller, gun for social events. I have carried a p-32, which is as small as the p3-at. It really allows you alot of options for different situations. you don't need to worry about a holster, you can just stick it in your pocket.

(Luzerne County)

I think your placing too much stigma on the gun. There is no inappropriate place to carry. It's a tool just like your pocket knife and cell phone. Flush the ridiculous social stigma society has brain washed you into accepting regarding the "gun".

Just put the thing on every day, as you do your shirt, and go.

(Delaware County)

I carry my Kahr CW9 in my front pocket, inside of a Uncle Mikes IWB holster, the belt clip of the holster makes it look like a cell phone is in my pocket if it prints at all. I carry everywhere I'm lawfully allowed.

One day though, I unexpectantly had to go to the State of Delaware for my job, I kept my gun on me rather than leave in the saddle bag of my motorcycle. I drive a truck, on the way back to PA I was stopped by the Delaware State Police for a DOT check. He pulled me off the highway, checked my papers, weighed the truck, all the normal DOT stuff, during all this I'm in the truck sweating bullets, (pun intended) because I have my gun but no permit for Delaware. When the trooper was done, he was sitting in his patrol car, he called me out of the truck to retrieve my papers, now I'm really sweating, hoping he doesn't see a "print" of my gun, I'm standing next to his window, his eyes are eye level with my pockets (I have shorts on), I'm turned a little toward the side (away from my gun) he hands me my papers and sends me on my way.

I have since taken the Utah carry permit class, which Delaware recognizes.

I have never come closer to someone noticing my gun. But the fact is most people aren't looking for it either, I'm aware of it because I carry, I do tend to "scan" folks I meet for prints. I suspect the non carrying public does not.

Bill

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    I think your placing too much stigma on the gun. There is no inappropriate place to carry. It's a tool just like your pocket knife and cell phone. Flush the ridiculous social stigma society has brain washed you into accepting regarding the "gun".

Just put the thing on every day, as you do your shirt, and go.
    I understand tool thing, and that is what I have been doing (didn't think twice about throwing the knife in the pocket ). But I think it more that I am concerned that I may offend a friend, for lack of other discription. It is his wifes funeral. And your right, it should be normal to carry at a funeral as anywhere else. But right now, I'm concerned what others may think. I'm still trying to get over the Stigma.

I do have some of Socieities Stigmas that I am still working thru. I won't deny that. But I am getting better at it. I did carry. And I'm glad I did.

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post

I have since taken the Utah carry permit class, which Delaware recognizes.

I have never come closer to someone noticing my gun. But the fact is most people aren't looking for it either, I'm aware of it because I carry, I do tend to "scan" folks I meet for prints. I suspect the non carrying public does not.

Bill

I still want to take the Utah test. Heck someone else said it on another thread. At the rate PA is going. We may become a Permit to apply for since we are covering so many other states ourselves.

I guess that I am just really concious of the fact that I carry since it is a relatively new thing for me to carry everywhere. Like you say, I haven't had a friend or family member ask yet "what that is". Because they just don't notice it. Like you, I am looking, and I guess I just assume that everyone is. Even though I should know better (Sheeple).

Actually, I think I was more concerned with all the hugging that I knew was going to be going on. Thought for sure someone would feel the pistol on my hip.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Venango County)

Not to hi jack the thread but...

Be aware that women have heart attacks and that the symptoms are very different than men's symptoms. So, learn the symptoms and let your ladies know. This information helped my wife. She was 39 or so and I had to insist to the emergency room physician it was a heart attack.

A gun should be able to follow you anywhere. I cannot think of a place, other than a nudist camp where carrying may seem odd.

(Cambria County)

I was one of the groomsmen at my sister's wedding (no West Virginia jokes please), and I carried an HK .45C in a shoulder rig with a dual mag carrier under the tux.

The only thing that made me feel weird is when I took off my jacket to try and fix the screw that came out of the harness and no one noticed (in the middle of the reception).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast