Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kids and guns?

(Monroe County)

Default Kids and guns?

I am relatively new to guns, My question is regarding my step son, he is 9 years old (looks more like 11) anyway he has always been curious about guns. As a result I have my guns locked up and unloaded all the times (which I would do regardless if he was interested in them or not). I would eventually like to take him to the range when he gets older but in the meantime I am working with him on safety.

Now he is showing more and more interest, My concern though is, If I ignore his interest, I am afraid that he will be more apt to try and handle them when no one is looking (they are locked all the time so he can't get them) but never underestimate the power of a curious mind.

I guess what my question is, do you feel he would be to young to introduce to firearms, or am I doing the right thing by teaching him safety and not ignoring his interest?

I don't plan on taking him to the range for a few years, but we have BB guns that we shoot together, he has shown remarkable responsibility when it comes to using the BB guns ( a lot more than I anticipated) and I constantly go over safety.

Anyway I was just wondering what all of your thoughts are on this sort of thing.

Thank you in advance for you help and responses.

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: Kids and guns?

He's certainly not too young. You are doing good by teaching him safety, but by all means, get him out for some trigger time. You say "he has shown remarkable responsibility when it comes to using the BB guns", that's fantastic, now let him show you how responsible he can be with something more than BB gun. You might end up with a good shooting buddy, and that will help strengthen your relationship.

If you feel he is responsiable, take him out to the range. My nephew is around that age, and we have him shooting a 22. He absolutely LOVES it. With the interest your child is showing, I'm sure he'll feel the same way. Spending time with your child is one of the best things you can ever do for him.

You say hes very responsiable with the BB gun. Show him how well he is doing with safety and take him "to the next level" . It'll encourage him to keep up good safety habits, knowing he'll get "more fun" guns.

Great job on teaching him to shoot. I love seeing responsiable parents with their children at the range, spending time together.
    "See, this side is well roasted; turn me on the other and eat." St. Lawrence

(Lebanon County)

I picked up a mossburg .22 this summer for my daughter. she was interested and wanted to go shoot. She learned to respect guns and enjoys shooting, mostly plinking cans. She is 7.

My step son is 14 and he started shooting this summer as well. He enjoys shooting my sporterized swedish mauser the most. He has shot my CZ 9mm but likes the rifles alot more.

Both the kids know if they want to check out the guns, they just have to ask me, but only when I am around.
    Last edited by TheBuckslayer; December 22nd, 2007 at 01:39 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Longshot View Post
    I am relatively new to guns, My question is regarding my step son, he is 9 years old (looks more like 11) anyway he has always been curious about guns. As a result I have my guns locked up and unloaded all the times (which I would do regardless if he was interested in them or not). I would eventually like to take him to the range when he gets older but in the meantime I am working with him on safety.

Now he is showing more and more interest, My concern though is, If I ignore his interest, I am afraid that he will be more apt to try and handle them when no one is looking (they are locked all the time so he can't get them) but never underestimate the power of a curious mind.

I guess what my question is, do you feel he would be to young to introduce to firearms, or am I doing the right thing by teaching him safety and not ignoring his interest?

I don't plan on taking him to the range for a few years, but we have BB guns that we shoot together, he has shown remarkable responsibility when it comes to using the BB guns ( a lot more than I anticipated) and I constantly go over safety.

Anyway I was just wondering what all of your thoughts are on this sort of thing.

Thank you in advance for you help and responses.
    As I stated in my post about my daughter. My kids developed a keen intrest in guns,and I was totally un-aware of it. My daughter defended herself, and she told me it was not a matter of taking intrest, just did not know how I would respond. I did show them the guns, gave them the story, never touch, never handle etc. Now I find out my daughter took it up, pratice, safety and being prepared paid off.

I asked my youngest, she said she would be intrested in guns if it was not to much of a problem for me to teach her..

so that means

NEW RANGE PARTNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and proceed to beat you with experience.

(Monroe County)

I was deffinetly thinking of doing a 22 rifle for him to start with, The other problem that I need to sort out is finding a safe place to take him, I need to join a range that will let him come with me and shoot. Now I usually go to Sunset Hill, and I belive that they have a 12 and older rule. Are most ranges like that, or are most of them ok with kids his age?

I have always felt that if I am going to have them, that it is better to introduce him than try to hide it. If I hide it than when/if he finds it there is more danger. Teaching him the rules right from the start seemed to me a better bet, just wanted to see if I was looking at it the right way , Thanks again for the replies.

(Montgomery County)

You're definitely doing a good job teaching him gun safety, but you also should let him get some range time. I remember when I was young, I had a huge curiosity in firearms, but what my dad taught me about gun safety stuck with me. I was probably more responsible with firearms when I was 10 than some adults are now.

Proud member of:

(Allegheny County)

i was 7 or 8 when my father gave me my first .22. your son is definitely not to young if you feel he is ready for it.

i don't ever recall seeing any rules about age at the game commission public ranges (though i've never actually researched it, so there could be). i know i've seen some fathers with some pretty young kids at the one near me. you might want to check into that if there is one near you.

Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    i don't ever recall seeing any rules about age at the game commission public ranges
    On the game commission web site, under the section of ranges is says simply "anyone under the age of 16 must be accompanied by someone over the age of 18."

The site also says to abide by all posted rules at the range, so I don't know if there's anything stricter on the posted signs at the ranges.

Like the others said, if he's shown responsibility with the BB gun, and you're comfortable with it, allow him to move up to a .22.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast