Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NIGHT SIGHTS

Default NIGHT SIGHTS

has anyone ever gone with just a front tritium sight amd left the rear alone? just thinking that in a gun fight you p retty much revert to the "eye,muzzle,target" doctrine and may not have time or distance for solid sight alignment for three dots anyway. just a thought,because I like millions of other CC guys have never (& hope to never) been in a gun fight. just looking for some insight and personal opions

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: NIGHT SIGHTS

The first generation Sig SAS's came with just a front night sight. Interesting concept, but I really preferred having rear night sights along with the front. I'm sure it was probably due to being more accustomed to that set up. I ended up swapping out the standard rear sights with a tritium sight.

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

(Allegheny County)

ken Hackathorn is a proponent of that set up, and in fact Ameriglo makes a "Hack" sight where the front is tritium with a bright orange outline and the rear is serated plain black.
    I currently run those on all my GLOCK's.

Ive done a fair amount of low light shooting, and taken a number of courses which included low light sections of instruction, and I continue to be a bit amazed by how well I can hit in the dark with just that front tritium.

IMO most of that though depends on having a strong and consistant presentation and index on the gun, and a clean trigger press. If you dont have to contantly alighn your FS into the rear notch then your not missing much by not having a visual confirmation of sight picture. Inside 10 yards esp.

If running a 3-dot system I always prefer yellow rears with a grenn front, and be sure there are no outlines on the rear dots as they can distract the eye, at least for me.

Last edited by Shawn.L; April 23rd, 2011 at 01:48 PM.

(Cumberland County)

^^^^^^^^^
    This.

I'm also a big fan of front tritium only, but you have to figure out what works for you.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

how well does this set up work for full light shooting??

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by M&PEE View Post
    how well does this set up work for full light shooting??
    great.

the orange ring up front is BRIGHT, its almost as sweet as running a Fiber Optic front sight.

I have really bad vision , so the bright FS is a great help to me.

http://www.ameriglo.net/catalog/sigh...l-combinations

Use coupon code GSSF for 10% off.

(Allegheny County)

My wife and I are now using Warren Tactical front sight with tritium night sight insert and a plain black rear sight. (After many years of using Mepros or Trijicon night sights)

The Warren Tactical setup is a very quick pick up sight system.
    All three of my Glock 19s have them as do her two 26s.

Bought them from: www.MLE-ShootingSports.com
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

that looks pretty sweet how long are they guaranteed for?

(Allegheny County)

Once my current night sights need replaced, these will likely be the next ones on my G17. Friend of mine just got these on his G19 and I really like the sight picture.

(Lancaster County)

I run a plain rear set up on all of my pistols (Duty, CC, Competition). Now here is the wrinkle, I run primarily fiber optic fronts. I have also been playing around with some TFO "front only" set ups, otherwise everything is Warren.

Good sights should drive the visual index to the front sight. In my expirience when I discuss the topic of three dot sighting systems with shooters, I ask them when do you ACTUALLY use all three dots. Here are some typical statements and my responses.

At close range???? Not really - you should be driving the front sight hard to target and pressing your shot....Do you even have a rear sight, who knows you shouldn't be focused on that.

At extended ranges???? Do you REALLY align the dots or are you in fact aligning the outline of the sights and pushing your visual index to the cutting top edge of that front sight post.

In low light/no light???? True, night sights glow in the dark, but if it is so dark that all you can see is three glowing dots; A. Where's your target? B. What's it doing? C. Can you articulate the threat and positively ID your threat? All those of those questions would be tough to answer in a pitch black room that all you can see are three glowing orbs.

That position drives me to my point that we have been pushed into believing night sights are a MUST and I submit to you that they are not. I work about 66% of my shifts at night and better than 90% of all my SWAT work has been in the dark. Up until about 3 years ago I was a strong "night sight" devotee and I can tell you I NEVER used the 3 glowing dots in a real application. There was always enough natural or manufactured (white lights) ambient light to run the front sight in a more "normal" manner. When I started running FO Fronts I found the front sight easier and quicker to pick up, even in low light when using a white light. Easier meant faster, Faster is better!!! Like I discussed, for my purpose and the purpose of many on this board, we cannot shoot blindly into the complete darkness, it doesn't make tactical sense and does not fit within our legal parameters.

I know this is a position that not all will agree with and that's fine, it is what works for me. Think about the realistic application within YOUR world, not the world of a CAG / DEVGRU / FBI HRT Ninja, unless you are one of those guys
    "When Knowledge Counts and Experience Matters"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast