Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default LE Interaction While CC'ing on Non-Res.?

Who here has had any interaction with any L.E. while carrying solely on an out-of-state permit (i.e., you did NOT have a valid PA LTCF, but only a reciprocal license/permit/whatever)?

How did it go? Any issues?

Seeing as how too many folks seem to run into cops who are mostly oblivious of the law as it pertains to the PA LTCF, I'm just curious how likely it is that the average officer knows enough about reciprocity, etc. to actually NOT give the carrier a hard time.

Since most of us with AZ, UT, FL, etc. permits also have our PA LTCF, I'm thinking that the percentage of folks who have actually put their non-PA permit to the test is relatively small (plus, as a general rule, "we" tend to simply not have interactions with law enforcement - I'm aware of that dynamic also)...

So, experiences anyone?

Regards,

Bones

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: LE Interaction While CC'ing on Non-Res.?

As I have posted before, I was denied a LTCF by the Philly PD based on a 10 year old arrest for which all charges were dropped/withdrawn. They denied me based the character and reputation clause. I applied for and received a Concealed Handgun Permit (that's what they call it) from the Commonwealth of Virginia, which has a written reciprocity agreement with the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

Whenever I carry I always carry concealed. (I'm not against people who open carry, that's their choice and I'm good with it, I just prefer concealed carry). I carry with me my CHP from Virginia along with the written reciprocity agreement between PA and VA. (I printed it from the PA attorney general's website.)

I do this in case I am confronted by a LEO, because I know street cops are not well versed in laws pertaining to firearms. (Mr. Viper can attest to that.)

I have not been confronted by a LEO pertaining to this situation. But I am ready in case it happens.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by bob2055 View Post
    I do this in case I am confronted by a LEO, because I know street cops are not well versed in laws pertaining to firearms. (Mr. Viper can attest to that.)
    My name has been getting dropped a LOT lately.

I actually am planning on getting an out-of-state license or permit specifically so that I can carry on it without risking having my home-state LTCF taken by some idiot on a power trip who's trying to enforce that new illegal law they pulled out of their asses. And yes, I will OC on it.
    Junior

Nevermind... double post.
    Last edited by HiredGoon; April 19th, 2011 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    My name has been getting dropped a LOT lately.

I actually am planning on getting an out-of-state license or permit specifically so that I can carry on it without risking having my home-state LTCF taken by some idiot on a power trip who's trying to enforce that new illegal law they pulled out of their asses. And yes, I will OC on it.
    Get a AZ permit... quick, fairly low cost and painless

Email them and ask for an application packet.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by bob2055 View Post
    As I have posted before, I was denied a LTCF by the Philly PD based on a 10 year old arrest for which all charges were dropped/withdrawn. They denied me based the character and reputation clause. I applied for and received a Concealed Handgun Permit (that's what they call it) from the Commonwealth of Virginia, which has a written reciprocity agreement with the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

Whenever I carry I always carry concealed. (I'm not against people who open carry, that's their choice and I'm good with it, I just prefer concealed carry). I carry with me my CHP from Virginia along with the written reciprocity agreement between PA and VA. (I printed it from the PA attorney general's website.)

I have not been confronted by a LEO pertaining to this situation. But I am ready in case it happens.
    Thanks for the info...

Yeah, the idea of carrying the reciprocity agreement(s) is what I have considered if I ever had to carry w/out a valid PA LTCF (since the pdf's are available online), but then again, I have my PA LTCF, so the point is moot for me right now.

I'm hoping to hear from someone who has indeed "had it happen," and hear how the encounter went... Unfortunately, I can envision an officer retorting something along the lines of "Umm, yes well that VA CHP is nice, but in case you weren't aware, we're in PA..."

We on this forum know that it's valid, but what are the chances that a random LEO will know that, or even be open to the possibility of being mistaken when it comes to firearms law? That is my concern.

Regards,

Bones

(Philadelphia County)

As I said I fully understand the concern, that's why I carry the agreement with me, just in case. I just have to avoid "School Zones".

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Get a AZ permit... quick, fairly low cost and painless

Email them and ask for an application packet.
    I think you should ask them for a job! Who haven't you referred to the Arizona DPS?
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

(Fayette County)

Im about to apply for my FL permit too.
    So Id be interested in hearing any accounts of LEO's and a NON-Res permit encounters.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli