Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Erie County)

Default Question regarding volunatary commitment to mental health facility

Last edited by G&G; June 19th, 2012 at 10:30 PM. Reason: .

(Blair County)

Default Re: Question regarding volunatary commitment to mental health facility

I believe the issue is with the phrasing "...been committed..." When you went yourself, you were not "committed", you "checked in." To "be committed", one would have to have been adjudicated incompetent to make that decision on their own.

Personal experience, I checked myself into a facility in 2005. Since then, I have purchased several firearms, renewed my ltcf, and applied for and received an '03 FFL.

Quote Originally Posted by TechAlG View Post
    I believe the issue is with the phrasing "...been committed..." When you went yourself, you were not "committed", you "checked in." To "be committed", one would have to have been adjudicated incompetent to make that decision on their own.
    Yup, what he said. You may want to go back through your paperwork and make sure a form 201 was filled out and not a 302. Sometimes the people in the ER get them confused, and a 302 is filled out where it should have been a 201, and a 302 can be a dis-qualifier.
    "Conflict is inevitable, but combat is optional.”

(Erie County)

Last edited by G&G; June 19th, 2012 at 10:30 PM. Reason: .

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

Like mentioned above, the term "Committed" in mental health law, refers to an involuntary commitment (302 in Pennsylvania) where a police officer, physician, and/or another person took the steps to have someone psychiatrically hosptalized when that individual was either unable or unwilling to do it themselves.

I work with some folks who insist on creating their own language of mental health acronyms and terminology, so it can seem confusing sometimes!

Quote Originally Posted by father-of-three View Post
    I work with some folks who insist on creating their own language of mental health acronyms and terminology, so it can seem confusing sometimes!
    That's just...

CRAZY!

(York County)

Like mentioned above, the term "Committed" in mental health law, refers to an involuntary commitment (302 in Pennsylvania) where a police officer, physician, and/or another person took the steps to have someone psychiatrically hosptalized when that individual was either unable or unwilling to do it themselves.

NO PHYSICIAN OR POLICE OFFICER MAY COMMIT, though some may admit. only a judge can commit.

Quote Originally Posted by justashooter View Post
    NO PHYSICIAN OR POLICE OFFICER MAY COMMIT, though some may admit. only a judge can commit.
    That's not the law so far as the UFA is concerned. No judge is involved in a 302 commitment, it just takes a doctor's certification.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Erie County)

..., refers to an involuntary commitment (302 in Pennsylvania) where a police officer, physician, and/or another person took the steps to have someone psychiatrically hosptalized when that individual was either unable or unwilling to do it themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by justashooter View Post
    You missed this point (bolded).

Steps lead to an evaluation, before one is 302'ed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.