Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Limits and Licenses questions

Hi. I have some additional newbie questions that I hope someone will be willing to answer. Excuse my ignorance please.

I am having trouble making sense of some of the following passages from the state game commissions's season and bag limits page (http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=576240&mode=2)

What is throwing off my understanding is their use of the phrase "required license" and "license year". I don't mean that I don't know the meanings of those words individually but am having trouble making sense of them in this context. I have reproduced the passages that I have difficulty understanding and will ask my questions beneath them:

"DEER, ANTLERLESS (Statewide): Oct. 20-22. ....only, with required antlerless license. .... One antlerless deer with each required antlerless license."

This passage appears to say that one can get a deer with each "required license". But is there any other kind of license other than a "required" one? Additionally, this appears to indicate the possibility of more than one anterless license. Is this true? If so, what does the number of licenses that one gets depend on?

"DEER, ARCHERY (Antlered and Antlerless) Statewide: Oct. 1-Nov. 12 and Dec. 26-Jan. 16. One antlered deer per hunting license year. One antlerless deer with each required antlerless license."

In this passage it says that one is only allowed one antlered deer "per hunting license year." Does this then mean that if one bags an antlered during during Archery season one cannot do so in, for example, Flintlock season later on in the year?

"DEER, ANTLERLESS MUZZLELOADER (Statewide): Oct. 15-22. An antlerless deer with each required antlerless license. "

Same questions as before.

"DEER, ANTLERED OR ANTLERLESS FLINTLOCK (Statewide): Dec. 26-Jan. 16. One antlered deer per hunting license year, or one antlerless deer and an additional antlerless deer with each required antlerless license."

Now here, let us assume that one does not want to bag antlered deer and instead wants to bag the anterless deer. So is this passage saying one must purchase two "licenses", one each for each of the antlerless deer? If this is the case, then must one get a number of licenses equal to the number of animals one intends to, within the number allowed by law, to bag?

If someone could clear up my confusion(s), I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

(Clinton County)

Default Re: Limits and Licenses questions

DEER, ANTLERLESS (Statewide): Oct. 20-22. ....only, with required antlerless license. .... One antlerless deer with each required antlerless license."

This passage appears to say that one can get a deer with each "required license". But is there any other kind of license other than a "required" one? Additionally, this appears to indicate the possibility of more than one anterless license. Is this true? If so, what does the number of licenses that one gets depend on?

First this 3 day season is for junior and senior hunters. It is for antlerless deer only so you are required to have an antlerless deer liscense. Yes you can get "bonus tags" or additional liscenses for does. There is a date when the initial application gets mailed in then at a later date when you may apply for bonus tags if available also dmap tags where applicable.

(Clinton County)

As for antlered deer no matter what you may only harvest one per liscense year. If you take one in early archery season your only antlered tag is used.

(Clinton County)

With a muzzleloader liscense you may harvest an antlered or antlerless deer with your back tag if you still have it during the flintlock muzzleloader season. I f you purchase additional antlerless liscenses then you may harvest additional antlerless deer. I believe I have answered all your ? accuratelly if not someone will correct me.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by stud40111 View Post
    Hi. I have some additional newbie questions that I hope someone will be willing to answer. Excuse my ignorance please.

I am having trouble making sense of some of the following passages from the state game commissions's season and bag limits page (http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=576240&mode=2)

What is throwing off my understanding is their use of the phrase "required license" and "license year". I don't mean that I don't know the meanings of those words individually but am having trouble making sense of them in this context. I have reproduced the passages that I have difficulty understanding and will ask my questions beneath them:

"DEER, ANTLERLESS (Statewide): Oct. 20-22. ....only, with required antlerless license. .... One antlerless deer with each required antlerless license."

"DEER, ARCHERY (Antlered and Antlerless) Statewide: Oct. 1-Nov. 12 and Dec. 26-Jan. 16. One antlered deer per hunting license year. One antlerless deer with each required antlerless license."

In this passage it says that one is only allowed one antlered deer "per hunting license year." Does this then mean that if one bags an antlered during during Archery season one cannot do so in, for example, Flintlock season later on in the year?

"DEER, ANTLERLESS MUZZLELOADER (Statewide): Oct. 15-22. An antlerless deer with each required antlerless license. "

Same questions as before.

"DEER, ANTLERED OR ANTLERLESS FLINTLOCK (Statewide): Dec. 26-Jan. 16. One antlered deer per hunting license year, or one antlerless deer and an additional antlerless deer with each required antlerless license."

Now here, let us assume that one does not want to bag antlered deer and instead wants to bag the anterless deer. So is this passage saying one must purchase two "licenses", one each for each of the antlerless deer? If this is the case, then must one get a number of licenses equal to the number of animals one intends to, within the number allowed by law, to bag?

If someone could clear up my confusion(s), I would appreciate it.

Thanks.
    When you took your hunters education class wasnt this explained? (along with the other question you asked in a different post)
    Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion, without the discomfort of thought.

John F Kennedy.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by WCO,R.W.J View Post
    When you took your hunters education class wasnt this explained? (along with the other question you asked in a different post)
    If he went...or wasn't sleeping in the back row. It was quite a change to see anterless licenses w/ tags after growing up during the one deer a year 50s & 60s.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by wis bang View Post
    If he went...or wasn't sleeping in the back row. It was quite a change to see anterless licenses w/ tags after growing up during the one deer a year 50s & 60s.
    I re-read what I posted it it might have came across harsh. That wasnt my intention. Its almost impossible to learn about hunting via a message board, He needs a good mentor.
    Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion, without the discomfort of thought.

John F Kennedy.

(Clinton County)

I re-read what I posted it it might have came across harsh. That wasnt my intention. Its almost impossible to learn about hunting via a message board, He needs a good mentor.
    Amen to that

(Bucks County)

At the Hunter Ed Class, they spend almost zero time about specific regulations. Sometimes they mentioned things, but don't really emphasize it. For instance, they mentioned that in PA you can't hunt with semi-auto. Beyond that they didn't get into any specific regulations for types of firearms eg. shotgun for deer in Bucks/Montgomer, or that can use Rimfires there, or what can be used for waterfowl. They did go over where to look in the Hunters Digest to look for bag limits and seasons, and I think a couple test questions involved looking some of that up. But they didn't really lecture about that stuff. In regards to the OP questions, for instance they didn't mention the hunting year goes from when to when. They didn't really go over what different options for the different licenses.

I'd say the class was really a Hunter Safety class, which is probably appropriate since half the people in class were young kids, and most of the adults were novice hunters (there were experienced hunters sitting there with their kids). They spent a lot of time going over the basics of rifle handling, which directions to point, how people shoot each other accidentally, types of tree harnesses, etc. They mostly covered things that would be useful towards getting started safe hunting in any state. But they really didn't go over the specific PA state game regulations, that would keep you from being afoul of the game officers.
    Last edited by GunWhatGun; August 3rd, 2012 at 12:20 AM.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunWhatGun View Post
    When I took my Hunter Ed Class, they spent almost zero time about specific regulations. Sometimes they mentioned things, but didn't really emphasize it. For instance, they mentioned that in PA you can't hunt with semi-auto. Beyond that they didn't get into any specific regulations for types of firearms eg. shotgun for deer in Bucks/Montgomer, or that can use Rimfires there, or what can be used for waterfowl. They did go over where to look in the Hunters Digest to look for bag limits and seasons, and I think a couple test questions involved looking some of that up. But they didn't really lecture about that stuff. In regards to the OP questions, for instance they didn't mention the hunting year goes from when to when. They didn't really go over what different options for the different licenses.

I'd say the class was really a Hunter Safety class, which is probably appropriate since half the people in class were young kids, and most of the adults were novice hunters (there were experienced hunters sitting there with their kids). For instance, I'm experienced with firearms, but have never been hunting before. They spent a lot of time going over the basics of rifle handling, which directions to point, how people shoot each other accidentally, types of tree harnesses, etc. They mostly covered things that would be useful towards getting started safe hunting in any state. But they really didn't go over the specific PA state game regulations, that would keep you from being afoul of the game officers. I read through the entire hunting digest when I got home, and I'd say they really went over very little of that stuff.
    I would say that you've summarized the class curriculum fairly well.
    Consider that depending when the class is taken, the regulations may be changing within a couple months or even weeks. In any event, regulations and even laws change year to year. It would seem more appropriate to cover (as you stated) where to find the information, rather than a detailed "law class" that won't be retained anyway. Any "specific" questions are usually addressed, and certainly during a break period, you can ask for clarification.

Also, keep in mind that the class is a "basic introduction". The curriculum is highly structured so no matter where you take the class Bucks Co, Fayette Co, or New Mexico, the same basic information is being conveyed. This is what allows the "certification" to be recognized by different states.

The classes are NOT designed to make you: a "professional hunter", nor a "expert marksmen". They are intended to introduce "concepts" and "basics" to get a new hunter started "on the right path". For example... "bow hunting" is "addressed" as is "trapping". If you wish to pursue those activities... you can take the "more advanced" classes for those specialties. But in the "basic class", everyone is "exposed" to those specialties.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast