Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default OC'd today, first post on here.

Hey all, Figured I would introduce myself in this forum and share a story with you all. My name is Shawn, and I live in Centre County. I recently have moved,(not far from where I grew up), And the folks at the local gas station and restaurants knew me, so OC was not an issue. After my move, I was cautious about OC'ing. I frequent places, like Sheetz for this story quite a bit. I CC'd while buying my items untill the staff got used to seeing my face and carrying a casual conversation while waiting for food. I've never seen anyone in here OC, but since the weather has been breaking I decided I'm not hiding it anymore. Well I've been OC'ing in there for about 2 months, the staff has noticed and has struck up very friendly conversation about it, and even interest. State Police Barracks is less than 1/4th of a mile away, and officers have never said boo to me about it. Just the normal, "How are ya doing today?". Well yesterday, I was getting lunch for the girlfriends family and myself, And I noticed one gentleman out of the corner of my eye giving me "looks". I just ignored him and continued to wait for my food. Well he came to wait for his food as well beside me, and he brought up the fact that I had my Glock on my hip. Very friendly guy, asked if I was going target shooting that day, becuase it was a gorgeous day on sunday. That was my first experience of someone saying anything to me out of nowhere but it was nice. All have been nice about it and not one ignorant remark has been made to me. Well anyway, thats my story and I just wanted to say Hi to all.

Country

(York County)

Default Re: OC'd today, first post on here.

Hello, and welcome to PAFOA.

Although there is much discussion here from time to time around negative OC encounters, they really are in the minority. Even folks who have had more than one unpleasant event seem to recognize that most of the time it goes unnoticed or is pleasant.

I'm glad your earliest experiences have been positive. Please acquaint yourself with the stickies at the top of the Carry forums if you have not already. There is a lot of useful information there.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Clinton County)

Welcome. I do not live that far from you. Keep an eye on a Picnic I have in May. Also, if you are not busy April 18th. We are going to the State College Council meeting for their preemption violations.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/pennsylvania-...e-college.html

I see you have Pleasant Gap down as Home. Is it the Sheetz near the State Police Barracks near Milesburg.
    The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

Quote Originally Posted by B2Luv2Hunt View Post
    Welcome. I do not live that far from you. Keep an eye on a Picnic I have in May. Also, if you are not busy April 18th. We are going to the State College Council meeting for their preemption violations.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/pennsylvania-...e-college.html

I see you have Pleasant Gap down as Home. Is it the Sheetz near the State Police Barracks near Milesburg.
    Yes sir, That is the one.

(Sullivan County)

Hello and welcome Shawn...!
    I like to see you here. Hope you will enjoy this community, This forum is great source of information, If you want to know then just feel free to ask..! I come to know forums are really good opportunity to sharing information to a related topic. I like to join this forum.
    Have A Great Day..!!!

(Centre County)

Welcome, Shawn!

Centre County seems to be a pretty friendly place for OC. I've been doing it for about three months myself, and only get weird looks from the PSU students. From my experience, a good deal of residents are gun-friendly, or at least desensitized. I'v had nothing but good encounters and non-encounters here. Hope you see the same.

I also second visiting the State College borough meeting this week. They're looking at making a move to ban guns in parks, beyond their illegal ordinance, and are trying to get neighboring municipalities on board.

Quote Originally Posted by legendarylorot View Post
    Welcome, Shawn!

Centre County seems to be a pretty friendly place for OC. I've been doing it for about three months myself, and only get weird looks from the PSU students. From my experience, a good deal of residents are gun-friendly, or at least desensitized. I'v had nothing but good encounters and non-encounters here. Hope you see the same.

I also second visiting the State College borough meeting this week. They're looking at making a move to ban guns in parks, beyond their illegal ordinance, and are trying to get neighboring municipalities on board.
    I'm going to try to make it there. State College really jerks me though, I am employed through the university and ONLY come here to work. When I'm not working, I try to get as far away as possible.