Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Exclamation Would you attempt to draw in this situation (surprised from behind by MWAG)?

Although the victim was not said to be carrying, say you were CCing and this happened to you. What would/could you do? HG

Man robbed after ATM withdrawal in Brentwood
    Monday, April 11, 2011
    By Sean D. Hamill, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

A man was robbed of his money last night right after using a PNC Bank ATM in Brentwood by a man armed with a gun, Brentwood Police said today.

The man, who had just made a withdrawal at the corner of Route 51 and Brownsville Road, was approached from behind at 11:44 p.m.

Police said the robber shoved the barrel of a gun into his back and told him: "Don't move. Don't turn around. I have a gun. Give me your money. I saw you use the ATM."

The victim gave the money to the man and then turned to watch the robber flee across Route 51, jumping a guardrail and running between the Greater Beneficial Union building and the Brentwood Care Center.

Police checked the area and made a sweep of the care center, just in case the robber entered the building, Police Chief Robert Butelli said, but the man was not found.

The victim described his assailant as about 6 feet tall, of slender build, and dressed in a dark hooded sweatshirt, dark blue jeans, and dirty or grey shoes.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Would you attempt to draw in this situation (surprised from behind by MWAG)?

Probably not.
    I can see any way it would improve the situation.

What I am pretty sure I would not do is make a withdrawl at night in an environment where this could happen.
    There are plenty of safe places to use an ATM, including machines in convinience stores and in drive ups where I have my car mirrors to monitor my surroundings.
    If I can not find a location to make a withdrawl where I don't like the lay, I can always wait until morning.

Your first defense is being aware of your surroundings and not taking actions which put you at risk.
    It should take you a few items on your defense checklist to get down to "draw my pistol".

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Would you attempt to draw in this situation (surprised from behind by MWAG)?

Hell no.

I carry a dummy wallet for just such occassions with a $20 bill, and expired credit cards. Real wallet is in my front pocket.

(Lancaster County)

I wouldn't let myself get into this situation. It's so very seldom I ever withdraw cash from a machine, and when I do, I normally use a drive up, just so I can use the braille keys.

If I do go to a walk up, I park, sit and watch for a little bit, and then keep a close eye on things around me the entire time I'm at the machine.

Plus if you know you're gonna need cash, it's best go get it at a grocery store when you buy things as you can ask for cash back then. If you go to a machine you many times have to pay fees unless it's your own bank. At a grocery store and many other places, there's no fee for getting extra cash.

Situational Awareness and planning ahead is always key.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Philadelphia County)

Pretty much the only thing that you could do is not let somebody come up behind you in the first place.

If you have a gun in your back your SOL unless your highly, highly skilled in some type of defensive fighting where you feel comfortable disarming the person...and possibley being shot in the back for a few bucks.
    Last edited by domagala; April 11th, 2011 at 06:24 PM.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I normally use a drive up, just so I can use the braille keys.
    You got me, lmfao. Rep coming your way.

Thanks, needed some cheering up tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by problazer1987 View Post
    You got me, lmfao. Rep coming your way.

Thanks, needed some cheering up tonight.
    I was wondering, Do the Amish teach their horses to read the braille out loud to them?

(Chester County)

honestly, i dont know if this is a serious question. To answer anyhow, if you value your life, you had just better comply and keep your gun holstered. Unless of course you have hands faster than bruce lee, then you could always chop the guy in the throat.

I wouldn't be in that situation, I rarely use an outside ATM, if I do it's at an M&T by my house and has a very open parking lot so I couldn't be crept up on.

Your best weapon is your brain, use it.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I wouldn't let myself get into this situation. It's so very seldom I ever withdraw cash from a machine, and when I do, I normally use a drive up, just so I can use the braille keys.
    I see what ya did there.........
    Plus if you know you're gonna need cash, it's best go get it at a grocery store when you buy things as you can ask for cash back then.
    ^^^ This is exactly what I do.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast